Check your account email address ×

Anyone familiar with the rear AC on ford transit?

The rear air stopped working. The front is fine. It blows cool air. Rear blower motor works although the rear evaporator doesn’t get cool. I’ve evacuated the system and recharged it with the proper amount. No change. I don’t see any solenoid between the front and back system. Just a y split in the high side line. I have a new TXV on order for the rear system. I don’t see how it could be anything else. 

34 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The rear air stopped working. The front is fine. It blows cool air. Rear blower motor works although the rear evaporator doesn’t get cool. I’ve evacuated the system and recharged it with the proper amount. No change. I don’t see any solenoid between the front and back system. Just a y split in the high side line. I have a new TXV on order for the rear system. I don’t see how it could be anything else. 

Check to see if your van has a blend door actuator. My Expy has a rear one and I had the same problem. It was a easy change.

32 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

many rear a/c evaporators use an expansion valve at the evaporator. if the system is full and evac properly it should work. doubtful there are any doors or actuators back there but it may have for heat /ac split

34 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

many rear a/c evaporators use an expansion valve at the evaporator. if the system is full and evac properly it should work. doubtful there are any doors or actuators back there but it may have for heat /ac split

It’s a simple system. No blend doors nor is it combined with heat. It’s either a blockage or the TXV is stuck shut. I was just wondering if there was a solenoid with a valve somewhere between the front and back system that I might be missing. 

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Can’t you just stay in the  house you’e parked in front of? 

18 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

this is true but usually ford uses an orifice instead of a expansion valve. it dose the same thing. dose the front ac work well? was the rear a add on or from ford? if a add on it may need more juice . dose the engine fan come on?

1 hour ago, snowstorm said:

this is true but usually ford uses an orifice instead of a expansion valve. it dose the same thing. dose the front ac work well? was the rear a add on or from ford? if a add on it may need more juice . dose the engine fan come on?

i wondered about that . 

15 hours ago, snowstorm said:

The rear uses a TXV. As does the front. Replaced the rear valve, evacuated the system, and recharged. Blows cold air. $33 part.