Check your account email address ×

Looking for a good wood stain with top coat.

I’ve got some Baltic birch plywood panels. Looking for a light grey, transparent stain that’ll take a satin, clear top coat. Something that’s really durable. Plan to talk with sherwin Williams next week. Any recommendations? 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

I’ve got some Baltic birch plywood panels. Looking for a light grey, transparent stain that’ll take a satin, clear top coat. Something that’s really durable. Plan to talk with sherwin Williams next week. Any recommendations? 

We use alot of Sherwins B.A.C. stain and it works well as does Old Masters and Minwax and they will accept a good clear coat which is the important component…the clear coat. Depending on what these panels are for there are several good options both water and oil based.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

I'm in the middle of a live edge table project and bought a really durable finish from totalboat.com it's an epoxy inpregnator then a varnish overtop.

2 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

I'm in the middle of a live edge table project and bought a really durable finish from totalboat.com it's an epoxy inpregnator then a varnish overtop.

Yeah that’ll do it!👊🏻😂

I haven’t used this product but it looks pretty good…water based so easy to use and clean up plus low odor.

https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finishes-professional/water-based-topcoats-and-sanding-sealers/enduro-clear-poly

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Catalyzed Clear Lacquer looks fantastic on natural wood cabinets... Sprays easily + dries quick, giving clean hi quality finishes.  

Catalyzed Clear Urethanes are great finishes, but slow drying (contaminates from air easily) really want to spray in a dust free booth.

Moisture Cure Clears are super tough... Older stuff was  Highly toxic to work with ... Almost indestructible.

7 minutes ago, ICG said:

Catalyzed Clear Lacquer looks fantastic on natural wood cabinets... Sprays easily + dries quick, giving clean hi quality finishes.  

Catalyzed Clear Urethanes are great finishes, but slow drying (contaminates from air easily) really want to spray in a dust free booth.

Moisture Cure Clears are super tough... Older stuff was  Highly toxic to work with ... Almost indestructible.

Sherwin makes a water based lacquer called Kem Aqua that does a nice job.