Check your account email address ×

Oh snap, someone here is going to be having a massive jerk off sesh

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Steve753 said:

Same can be said when you break down sledding. You can find a negative anywhere if you look hard enough.

:bc:

Yeah, sort of, I know if I break down on the Tug Hill or old forge I got about a 20min wait till another sledder rides by or a short walk to a road, camp, or a bar.. And I'm usually with one or two other people,..Spinner goes way out in BLM land alone only with his dogs, where there isn't anything at all for 100's of miles..At least that's what he claims, but also post pics of him in a driveway on a concrete pad with green grass in AZ...Not exactly roughing it.........:dunno:

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

Yeah, sort of, I know if I break down on the Tug Hill or old forge I got about a 20min wait till another sledder rides by or a short walk to a road, camp, or a bar.. And I'm usually with one or two other people,..Spinner goes way out in BLM land alone only with his dogs, where there isn't anything at all for 100's of miles..At least that's what he claims, but also post pics of him in a driveway on a concrete pad with green grass in AZ...Not exactly roughing it.........:dunno:

Like I said, what he's doing sounds like fun to me and not many people can say they died doing something they enjoy. Either way dying sucks and is inevitable. :lol:

2 hours ago, Jerry 976 said:

Not picking on you, honest questions, what is your back up/ improvise plans for things I asked about. Basically your day to day life is screwed for a while are you getting a hotel room somewhere or staying at a camp ground in a tent or cabin??

It’s not anything that I spend a lot of time thinking about. I’ve got a Garmin mini if I ever have an emergency and I’m out of cell phone range. Van is always stocked with plenty of food. I can stay for over two weeks in the back country. Van is a ford transit which is easy to get service and parts. I’ve never had a serious breakdown. If I do I’ll enjoy my time in a hotel. I get those questions all the time from people that want to do this but they allow worry to stop them. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I don’t know of any drivable roads that are 100’s miles away from anything. I tried a stretch where I was gone in the backcountry for 3 1/2 months. No conversations. No internet. Just some phone calls and texts to family. It gets a little weird because I’m the type that could spend the rest of my life without people and just get accustomed to living like that. That’s simply not healthy. 

Edited by spin_dry
  • Like 1

• Gold Member
26 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I don’t know of any drivable roads that are 100’s miles away from anything. I tried a stretch where I was gone in the backcountry for 3 1/2 months. No conversations. No internet. Just some phone calls and texts to family. It gets a little weird because I’m the type that could spend the rest of my life without people and just get accustomed to living like that. That’s simply not healthy. 

BS ....You couldn't live without Freedom Sledder GOP rants ....

:lol::bc:

• Haha 1

One year we took family trip to Orlando and usually we would just rent a van and go but decided to take our chance on our old Chevy venture since rental was $1k for the week.

I went through it and installed new belts water pump and alternator.needed new tires so got those installed.our backup plan was if she shit the bed we’d either buy a new rig on road or rent a uhaul!!

That old venture pulled through!!thought for sure tranny was going to go when we drove through blue ridge mountains!!

gotta have a plan!!

• Gold Member
Just now, X2700 said:

One year we took family trip to Orlando and usually we would just rent a van and go but decided to take our chance on our old Chevy venture since rental was $1k for the week.

I went through it and installed new belts water pump and alternator.needed new tires so got those installed.our backup plan was if she shit the bed we’d either buy a new rig on road or rent a uhaul!!

That old venture pulled through!!thought for sure tranny was going to go when we drove through blue ridge mountains!!

gotta have a plan!!

LOL

One of my retired neighbors just drove back from FL towing their Camper with a 2012 Chevy, and blew the top end of the engine on the way home a few hours after leaving the Campground. 

They waited 2 weeks for parts then said screw it and bought a brand new pickup instead to finish the trip. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

No, you call your home insurance company and they put you up in a hotel, give you money for food and clothes. Now when you bang your oil pan off a rock 100mi in the middle of nowhere and have no cell service what do you do?

Garmin mini allows me to text anywhere in the world. It also has an emergency beacon if I’m injured. The amount of money that can be squirreled away living like this is crazy. So staying in a hotel for an extended period isn’t a real issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

It’s not anything that I spend a lot of time thinking about. I’ve got a Garmin mini if I ever have an emergency and I’m out of cell phone range. Van is always stocked with plenty of food. I can stay for over two weeks in the back country. Van is a ford transit which is easy to get service and parts. I’ve never had a serious breakdown. If I do I’ll enjoy my time in a hotel. I get those questions all the time from people that want to do this but they allow worry to stop them. 

I just like asking questions and learning about things that interest me........ beer_cheers.gif.599ab4ecbefc00578dcda54126f27cec.gif