Check your account email address ×

New Furnace For Cottage Country Oil vs Propane vs?

SIL needs to put in a new furnace and just wondering what would be the best way to go, propane, oil or something else.  She has a propane tank already but would likely need to add onother and may need to replace it regardless.  Any suggestions would be appreceated.  I furured propane but and a bit of reading I'm not sure.

I went from oil to propane last year . By the time I replaced the oil tank 500 gal , and a new furnace . It was cheaper to go propane , right from the get go . And the cost of propane vs oil it will pay for itself in a few years . And cheaper insurance because ins companies hate oil . 

And it was my local oil guy who said , look , I'm an oil guy and I'm telling you this is the way to go . 

• Like 1

Electric heat is the way to go since our hydro rates are going down 25% 

Seriously, we went w/ propane eventually last fall. Get several quotes as there seemed to be quite a range in quotes. If they go that route, tell them to see what propane supplier their neighbours use. One of the guys that gave us a quote said that way, you know that the supplier won't 'forget' you.

10 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

They should have the same system for cottage beer fridges.....

'Glen From The Beer Store' probably says it would encourage underage drinking.

2 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

My supplier has a tank mounted unit that sends a sat signal when  it hits 40%. And they come out , so I never run out . 

We have one on our tanks as well. We don't have to phone them anymore

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

SIL needs to put in a new furnace and just wondering what would be the best way to go, propane, oil or something else.  She has a propane tank already but would likely need to add onother and may need to replace it regardless.  Any suggestions would be appreceated.  I furured propane but and a bit of reading I'm not sure.

Where abouts is her cottage?

We have a guy in Bobcageon that we used and he did a good job on the install of the boiler. We had a few quotes and he seemed the most knowledgeable on infloor systems. We have already seen a savings on propane compared to the old tank that was in there.

Look into heat pumps as well

Propane...but I am biased as I work in that industry.

21 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We have a guy in Bobcageon that we used and he did a good job on the install of the boiler. We had a few quotes and he seemed the most knowledgeable on infloor systems. We have already seen a savings on propane compared to the old tank that was in there.

She has infloor electric now and needs to get better heat distribution as she is getting condensation so infloor has left a bad taste.

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

She has infloor electric now and needs to get better heat distribution as she is getting condensation so infloor has left a bad taste.

We have hot water heating ours. A heat pump might be the way to go. I think they run about $4-5K and provide air in the summer. Propane forced air furnaces are efficient compared to years ago

went with propane at the new build.  Just figured it would end up being cheaper in the long run with less hassle of not having to replace oil tanks when they decide we need a new one.  Also spray foaming the entire house so we should be able to heat it with a candle