Check your account email address ×

The problem with this country

f7ben

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I'd say what we need to "fix" is the fact that you're doing work I could train a monkey to do in a week and getting paid 100$ an hour for any of it. 

How bout dat

If a monkey could be trained to do it you can bet that it would have happened by now....  especially in third world countries with a huge population of primates.

what is going to be the end of the wire is solar panels but i should get a retirement out of the deal cause that is a few decades off .  If it happens sooner my powerline recycling business will get off the ground or I will just become a solar panel installer/maintainer for residential and commercial properties

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

If a monkey could be trained to do it you can bet that it would have happened by now....  especially in third world countries with a huge population of primates.

what is going to be the end of the wire is solar panels but i should get a retirement out of the deal cause that is a few decades off .  If it happens sooner my powerline recycling business will get off the ground or I will just become a solar panel installer/maintainer for residential and commercial properties

dammit ......that was a remarkably restrained response :lol: I can take shots at your profession being I'm more less in the same 

Just now, f7ben said:

dammit ......that was a remarkably restrained response :lol: I can take shots at your profession being I'm more less in the same 

Hes a lineman.....takes way more intelligence to be an electrician.

16 minutes ago, f7ben said:

the point of my post was people should seek out viewpoints that contradict their own and cause them to think critically and consider other perspectives. Instead we have a populace that actively seeks out echo chamber garbage on the extreme ends of the spectrum that reinforces their viewpoints and pushes them further to the extremes.

See wolfie for example

I know, I was just adding my2 cents.

1 minute ago, Dave said:

I just got transferred to the meltdeck and back into a shift spot. 20 months of bending pipe and pulling wire was good experience but I'm ready to be back into instrumentation and controls. They dont have a programmer over there either so all the program and HMI changes fall on the shift guys.

This is where I'll be working , also the melt deck electrician is responsible for the switchyard and the SVC

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I just got transferred to the meltdeck and back into a shift spot. 20 months of bending pipe and pulling wire was good experience but I'm ready to be back into instrumentation and controls. They dont have a programmer over there either so all the program and HMI changes fall on the shift guys.

This is where I'll be working , also the melt deck electrician is responsible for the switchyard and the SVC

Bending pipe is an art....I had a better touch bending the big pipe with an hydrolic bender tjen I did the little stuff by hand go figure....lol

Im sure you are but are they using PLC's for any of that?

• Gold Member
15 minutes ago, Dave said:

neither professions really take extreme intelligence.  Only difference Lineman get all the pussy and money.  Electricians just get fat

Just now, BOHICA said:

neither professions really take extreme intelligence.  Only difference Lineman get all the pussy and money.  Electricians just get fat

Only an uneducated person would say that.

8 minutes ago, Dave said:

Bending pipe is an art....I had a better touch bending the big pipe with an hydrolic bender tjen I did the little stuff by hand go figure....lol

Im sure you are but are they using PLC's for any of that?

I dont hand bend anything , triple nickel for everything. I only run rigid pipe also. Just finishing up 450' of 2" pipe run 40' off the ground out of a manlift and now I have to pull a bunch of #4 through it by hand :lol: its gonna suck

Yes everything is PLC controlled on the melt deck. All modicon processors over there which I have no experience with. I have only worked with Allen Bradley and Siemens. They are still using wonderware for HMI so that should be easy to pick up on 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I dont hand bend anything , triple nickel for everything. I only run rigid pipe also. Just finishing up 450' of 2" pipe run 40' off the ground out of a manlift and now I have to pull a bunch of #4 through it by hand :lol: its gonna suck

Yes everything is PLC controlled on the melt deck. All modicon processors over there which I have no experience with. I have only worked with Allen Bradley and Siemens. They are still using wonderware for HMI so that should be easy to pick up on 

I did alot of commercial residential before I got into industrial so I did alot of bending by hand. :bc:

2 minutes ago, Dave said:

I did alot of commercial residential before I got into industrial so I did alot of bending by hand. :bc:

I would never want to do commercial or residential work. I love heavy industry and big shit. Working in steel mills is a trip dude....everyone should tour one some time

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I would never want to do commercial or residential work. I love heavy industry and big shit. Working in steel mills is a trip dude....everyone should tour one some time

The steel mills where all going belly up in my area....alot of guys were losing their pensions even.....when i started I was happy with commercial residential and had my own business...had the housing market not gone for shit i dont think i would have gone to the factory.

15 minutes ago, Dave said:

The steel mills where all going belly up in my area....alot of guys were losing their pensions even.....when i started I was happy with commercial residential and had my own business...had the housing market not gone for shit i dont think i would have gone to the factory.

Did you have a masters license?

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Yes

If I wouldnt have relocated down here I would have joined the IBEW .....they would have gave me credit for my experience and school and started me at 60% in the apprenticeship. I would be turning out this summer or so had I gone that route

1 minute ago, Dave said:

When we got bought out...i had thought about becoming an inspector....kinda glad i didnt the way things turned out.

Did you sign a no compete when you sold out ?

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

If I wouldnt have relocated down here I would have joined the IBEW .....they would have gave me credit for my experience and school and started me at 60% in the apprenticeship. I would be turning out this summer or so had I gone that route

I was in the ibew for a short time...its very corrupt where I lived before....lots of people got passed over when things were slow...seems family was always on tbe top of the list...purely speculation though...but it seemed that way.

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Did you sign a no compete when you sold out ?

I didnt sell out...the place I worked had in house maintenance....we had our own association (union)....the company bought us out to bring in sub contractors....much cheaper for them....i could have stayed on as unskilled labour.

2 minutes ago, Dave said:

I was in the ibew for a short time...its very corrupt where I lived before....lots of people got passed over when things were slow...seems family was always on tbe top of the list...purely speculation though...but it seemed that way.

they are pretty good in MN , typical union bullshit to deal with but you can be as involved as you want. Its basically the only way to get your masters and start your own shop down in MN ....there are almost no ratty shops worth a fuck

Just now, Dave said:

I didnt sell out...the place I worked had in house maintenance....we had our own association (union)....the company bought us out to bring in sub contractors....much cheaper for them....i could have stayed on as unskilled labour.

ahhh gotcha

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

the point of my post was people should seek out viewpoints that contradict their own and cause them to think critically and consider other perspectives. Instead we have a populace that actively seeks out echo chamber garbage on the extreme ends of the spectrum that reinforces their viewpoints and pushes them further to the extremes.

See wolfie for example

You really are that dumb.  Seriously, did you ever go to college?  Whats your degree in?  I'd love to hear what your qualifications are and where you had this epiphany of how to critically think. :snack: 

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

Looks like a modern day sweat shop.   

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

You really are that dumb.  Seriously, did you ever go to college?  Whats your degree in?  I'd love to hear what your qualifications are and where you had this epiphany of how to critically think. :snack: 

Looks like a modern day sweat shop.   

Yah ....totally a modern day sweat shop ....where everyone makes 6 figures and the result of the effort is a tangible good. Obviously it takes some hard work ....unlike a crackerjack box finance certification and shuffling peoples money around skimming your cut off the top ....now thats real production and a service to society :lol:

You were worth 1000x more to society when you delivered the bread ....at least that was an honest living 

• Like 1