Check your account email address ×

The Wealthiest 10% of Americans Own A Record 89% of All U.S. Stocks *

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’d love to hear your solution. 

Covered this before.

Only options I see.  Yes I understand there is no willpower for either for numerous reasons. 

1. Full military action against the Cartels.  Complete/significant trade embargo with any country that doesn't massively limit the supply of illegal drugs coming from or thru them to the US.   Mexico and China being the major two.  It would likely require a permanent military presence in at least Mexico.  Would do more good there than in Japan, SK or Europe.   They can take care of themselves.

AND/OR

2. Legalize drugs and make them here.   Sell them for low cost or even give them out for free.   Allow for govt paid for rehabilitation once (with limits) but not repetitive throughout a users life.  Violence follows the illegal aspect of drugs.   Easier to take over the market from them than to remove the market itself.  American's will always want to get high.....no getting around that.  

25 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Covered this before.

Only options I see.  Yes I understand there is no willpower for either for numerous reasons. 

1. Full military action against the Cartels.  Complete/significant trade embargo with any country that doesn't massively limit the supply of illegal drugs coming from or thru them to the US.   Mexico and China being the major two.  It would likely require a permanent military presence in at least Mexico.  Would do more good there than in Japan, SK or Europe.   They can take care of themselves.

AND/OR

2. Legalize drugs and make them here.   Sell them for low cost or even give them out for free.   Allow for govt paid for rehabilitation once (with limits) but not repetitive throughout a users life.  Violence follows the illegal aspect of drugs.   Easier to take over the market from them than to remove the market itself.  American's will always want to get high.....no getting around that.  

They’re already giving out drugs for free from suboxone and methadone clinics. The Portugal model utilizes drug counselors and other staff. They use  persuasion to encourage clients to get clean. Unlike here in America where opiate replacement clinics encourage drug use to be a lifelong lifestyle. People do get clean with adequate and targeted support. America is still bent on the correctional and punitive approach in dealing with addiction. 

51 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Ain’t much for listening, is ya?  Weird!

7 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

They’re already giving out drugs for free from suboxone and methadone clinics. The Portugal model utilizes drug counselors and other staff. They use  persuasion to encourage clients to get clean. Unlike here in America where opiate replacement clinics encourage drug use to be a lifelong lifestyle. People do get clean with adequate and targeted support. America is still bent on the correctional and punitive approach in dealing with addiction. 

:news:

25 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

No saying that can't be a part of the method.   

Keep in mind the correctional/punitive approach is often because other crimes are also part of the addiction.   Drug use does and should not be an excuse to commit other crimes.   I'm sure non-violent drug offenders can find treatment without jail in the US. 

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No saying that can't be a part of the method.   

Keep in mind the correctional/punitive approach is often because other crimes are also part of the addiction.   Drug use does and should not be an excuse to commit other crimes.   I'm sure non-violent drug offenders can find treatment without jail in the US. 

Of course not. There shouldn’t any get of jail free card for addiction. If there’s going to be any chance at breaking the cycle, then quality, correctional based treatment needs to well funded. And not just once, but as many times as seen as necessary, provided the person is willing to participate in a meaningful way. There also needs to be adequate resources to establish the individual in a positive environment with proper job and life skills training following treatment. Otherwise, don’t do anything at all. Because they won’t make it. 

12 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Of course not. There shouldn’t any get of jail free card for addiction. If there’s going to be any chance at breaking the cycle, then quality, correctional based treatment needs to well funded. And not just once, but as many times as seen as necessary, provided the person is willing to participate in a meaningful way. There also needs to be adequate resources to establish the individual in a positive environment with proper job and life skills training following treatment. Otherwise, don’t do anything at all. Because they won’t make it. 

For the most part can go for quality treatment while in the corrections system as well as life/skills training as many had none growing up.   I do support some type of 3 strikes for violent offenses.   Some people just need to be kept out of society.  Significant portion of violent crime is by repeat offenders.  Its a big reason why crime went down after the 94 crime bill.   

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, jtssrx said:

Pretty much sums you and some of the others obsession with me. :lmao:

Reading comprehension: the ability to process text, understand its meaning, and to integrate with what the reader already knows.

But hey, maybe your right. Maybe I can try to remember to be more forgetful next time.