Check your account email address ×

Top Republicans join Obama in condemning Trump’s words

Off the teleprompter and off the reservation.

Top Republicans join Obama in condemning Trump’s words

Top Republicans joined with President Obama and other Democrats Tuesday in sharply condemning Donald Trump’s reaction to the nightclub massacre in Orlando, decrying his anti-Muslim rhetoric and his questioning of Obama’s allegiances as divisive and out of step with America’s values.

Trump — who just a week ago signaled an intent to snap his campaign into a more measured tone for the general election — showed no sign of backing down from his suggestions that Obama was somehow connected to or sympathetic with terrorists, telling the Associated Press that the president “continues to prioritize our enemy” over Americans.

In separate appearances, both Obama and his potential successor, likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, blasted Trump’s proposal to ban foreign Muslims from the United States as dangerous and contrary to the nation’s traditions.

A visibly angry Obama also dismissed Trump’s repeated demands for him to use the term “radical Islam” when speaking about the Orlando shootings and other attacks. “Calling a threat by a different name does not make it go away,” Obama said. “This is a political distraction.”

Clinton described Trump’s response to Orlando as rife with “conspiracy theories” and “pathological self-congratulations.”

The remarkably bipartisan outcry over Trump’s positions — coming at a moment of national mourning after the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history — set off a new wave of alarm within the GOP over whether the mogul’s promised pivot to the general election would ever materialize. The rift also highlighted the enduring tensions between establishment figures who want to be more inclusive and the bulk of the party, which backs Trump’s proposed Muslim ban and has rallied around him as the presumptive nominee.

Some of Trump’s most ardent backers defended his response to the Orlando attack, saying drastic measures were needed to keep the nation safe. But most Republicans on Capitol Hill tried to distance themselves from Trump’s comments following the terrorist attack on a gay nightclub in Orlando that killed at least 49 people. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) refused to respond to questions about Trump at his weekly news conference.

Speaker Paul D. Ryan (Wis.) denounced Trump for trying to rally support for his anti-Muslim policies, while others castigated Trump for the accusations he has lobbed at Obama.

“I do not think a Muslim ban is in our country’s interest,” Ryan told reporters. “I do not think it is reflective of our principles, not just as a party but as a country.” He called for “a security test, not a religious test” for immigrants.

In a speech Monday, Trump had reiterated his calls for such a ban and expanded its potential reach to include any country with “a history” of terrorism against the United States and its allies. He blamed the Orlando attack — which authorities say was carried out by a man born in America to Afghan parents — in part on a system that “allowed his family to come here.”

“We have to screen applicants to know whether they are affiliated with or supporting radical groups and beliefs,” Trump said in the speech delivered at Saint Anselm College in Manchester, N.H. “We have to control the amount of future immigration in this country, and we have to prevent large pockets of radicalization from forming inside America.”

Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), who has praised Trump at times for his willingness to shake up politics and recently met with the mogul, expressed serious unease Tuesday with how Trump responded to a national tragedy.

“Traditionally, it is a time when people rally around our country, and it’s obviously not what’s occurred, and it’s very disappointing,” Corker said.

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), a leading national security hawk, said he had “run out of adjectives” for Trump. “I don’t think he has the judgment or the temperament, the experience to deal with what we are facing,” said Graham, who does not currently support the mogul.

Graham, like other Republicans, took issue with Trump’s apparent suggestions in Monday interviews that Obama may identify with the radical Muslim terrorists. Obama “either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,” Trump told Fox News.

Trump expanded on that line of criticism Tuesday, saying in an emailed response to questions from the Associated Press: “President Obama claims to know our enemy, and yet he continues to prioritize our enemy over our allies and, for that matter, the American people.”

Graham said that Trump “seems to be suggesting that the president is one of ‘them.’ I find that highly offensive. I find that whole line of reasoning way off base. My problems with President Obama are his policy choices.”

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), who faces a challenging reelection bid, also called Trump’s insinuations about the president “offensive.”

Speaking after meeting with his National Security Council, Obama dismissed Trump’s many calls for him to change the way he talks about terrorism.

“That’s the key, they tell us. We can’t get ISIL unless we call them ‘radical Islamists,’ ” Obama said, referring to the Islamic State militant group. “What exactly would using this label accomplish? What exactly would it change? Would it make ISIL less committed to trying to kill Americans? Would it bring in more allies? Is there a military strategy that is served by this? The answer is: none of the above.”

At a campaign event in Pittsburgh, Clinton excoriated Trump and challenged Republicans to repudiate him. Clinton said Trump — whom she called “Donald” — failed to demonstrate an ability to deliver a “calm, collected and dignified response” to the Orlando attack.

“Instead, yesterday morning, just one day after the massacre, he went on TV and suggested that President Obama is on the side of the terrorists,” Clinton said. “Just think about that. Even in a time of divided politics, this is way beyond anything that should be said by someone running for president.”

Trump has also said Obama should “resign” because of his refusal to utter the words “radical Islamic terrorism.” But one of the mogul’s top backers on Capitol Hill said Trump doesn’t expect that to happen.

“What I think Trump’s saying is: You need to get in the game and start leading, or get out of here,” said Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.). “That’s just his way of expressing it. And I think people understood that. He doesn’t expect President Obama to resign, but he’s saying you can’t do this job effectively if you don’t understand the nature of the threat we face.”

Sessions said there was no discussion at a 90-minute Senate GOP lunch of Trump specifically; instead it focused on terrorism.

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.), an Air Force major and leading House GOP voice on national security issues, broke sharply with Trump.

“I guess I appreciate Mr. Trump’s fieriness in talking about it, but you don’t do it by alienating the very people that we need, and those are moderate Muslims,” he said. “We have to use the folks that frankly are not radicalized, which is the vast majority of Muslims, to win this war.”

Nationally, 64 percent of Republican voters said in a recent Washington Post-ABC News poll that they approve of Trump’s Muslim ban — as did 45 percent of independents — while 26 percent of Democrats said they approve.

Last week, Trump delivered a subdued speech that celebrated his primary wins and looked ahead to a matchup with Clinton. His campaign told allies that Trump was strategizing for a new phase of the campaign.

But by this week — after a series of fiery rallies in which he called out enemies by name and then his response to Orlando — many Republicans were left scratching their heads.

Lanhee Chen, a respected GOP foreign policy expert who served as policy director on Mitt Romney’s 2012 campaign, called Trump’s Monday speech a “huge wasted opportunity.”

“What he has said overall about foreign policy is very troubling,” said Chen, who said he has many issues with the mogul but does not consider himself part of the “Never Trump” wing of the GOP.

Chen said Trump needs to “start defining what his presidency would look like” in “more than just a few sound bites.” But he added: “I’m not holding my breath.”

David Nakamura and Paul Kane in Washington and Abby Phillip in Pittsburgh contributed to this report.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/top-republicans-join-obama-in-condemning-trump’s-words/ar-AAh3yoj

Yes, we all know he's "loose on the reservation".  But, instead of watching and condeming his every move and speech, why don't you all start telling us how great a job Hillary has done and why you are supporting her?  I know that is not the doctrine adopted by liberals.  To attack at every turn people who may think a bit different than them seems to be how it works now.  

But here's the real question, why, if Trump has "no chance" is so much time spent smearing him but the Dems?  And that was backed up by your party's leader that went on national TV after a major national tragedy and instead of placing some blame where it should have been, attacked the Republican front runner instead.  

This political shit is getting out of control and both sides remind me of the neighborhood dorks trying to one up each other in their little world of Dungeons and Dragons.  

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Yes, we all know he's "loose on the reservation".  But, instead of watching and condeming his every move and speech, why don't you all start telling us how great a job Hillary has done and why you are supporting her?  I know that is not the doctrine adopted by liberals.  To attack at every turn people who may think a bit different than them seems to be how it works now.  

But here's the real question, why, if Trump has "no chance" is so much time spent smearing him but the Dems?  And that was backed up by your party's leader that went on national TV after a major national tragedy and instead of placing some blame where it should have been, attacked the Republican front runner instead.  

This political shit is getting out of control and both sides remind me of the neighborhood dorks trying to one up each other in their little world of Dungeons and Dragons.  

She is the better candidate. Perfect far from that but no different than any president I ever voted for. I will not vote for her.

You should make a statement and do the same to Trump.

Just now, Mainecat said:

It wont be close. He will probably take his ball and go home. Thats his MO in life. He runs from any altercation.

well none the less you're running from Hillary,so I have to give credit where credit is due. :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member
16 minutes ago, racer254 said:

This is why Trump has the support he does.  No one wants these politicians running the show any longer. 

:nuts:

Down 12% and falling :lol: 

23 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

She is the better candidate. Perfect far from that but no different than any president I ever voted for. I will not vote for her.

You should make a statement and do the same to Trump.

I think he has already said that he will not vote for either candidate in the upcoming election :bc: 

15 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I would have supported her in the past BUT she is in bed too deep with corporate dollars.

Its why I support Sanders

But you'll defend her til the bitter end if she gets elected. :lol:

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I think he has already said that he will not vote for either candidate in the upcoming election :bc: 

BINGO! 

I'm sitting this shit show out and whatever happens, I'll be able to sit back and watch the mass of idiots from either side celebrate.  When really, they should all just shake their heads in disgust.  Seems most on here, from what I see the Libs led by that idiot menace "snowrider", seem to pump this like it is some type of football game.  Disturbing.

Now I'd like to apologize to the Dems and Libs that I just insulted by insinuating that "snowrider" was their leader.  That was uncalled for and I'm sorry.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Real slow now, the head line of the story is: Top Republicans join Obama in condemning Trump’s words

The story isn't Dems smearing Trump as that is to be expected, but what is the story is the Republicans are condemning Trump, do you get it now? 

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

Real slow now, the head line of the story is: Top Republicans join Obama in condemning Trump’s words

The story isn't Dems smearing Trump as that is to be expected, but what is the story is the Republicans are condemning Trump, do you get it now? 

Oh yes, I "get it".  Another "ripped from the headlines" story sponsored by our biased media and sucked up my the liberal twits as the gospel.  "Condemning Trump's words".  Nice. And I'm not backing Trump for the reasons, while different, that NOBODY should be backing Hillary.  Gross.

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Oh yes, I "get it".  Another "ripped from the headlines" story sponsored by our biased media and sucked up my the liberal twits as the gospel.  "Condemning Trump's words".  Nice. And I'm not backing Trump for the reasons, while different, that NOBODY should be backing Hillary.  Gross.

:nuts:

Your boy is a crybaby.  Look at this:. :lol: 

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, racer254 said:

This is why Trump has the support he does.  No one wants these politicians running the show any longer. 

Not sure why it so titillating for some to hear negative comments about Trump coming from the Republican establishment.

It is common knowledge that do not like or support Trump.

13 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Not sure why it so titillating for some to hear negative comments about Trump coming from the Republican establishment.

McConnell and Ryan's time has come, they are old news and need to get with the program of hit the highway :nuts: 

9 minutes ago, Momorider said:

McConnell and Ryan's time has come, they are old news and need to get with the program of hit the highway :nuts: 

Right, add Romney to that list.

When he was running for President the guy was "dangerous" .............Now the left is hanging on his every word.

:wtf:

32 minutes ago, Cold War said:

4 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Right, add Romney to that list.

When he was running for President the guy was "dangerous" .............Now the left is hanging on his every word.

:wtf:

That's pretty fun.  The left loves the establishment. 

Edited by racer254