Check your account email address ×

Charlie Pride

toslow

This is so sad.

Last Christmas my wife and I bought my parents front row Charlie Pride tickets for Moncton NB.

My mother called me immediately Christmas morning crying. She said it was the best gift she had ever got. I did not know, but my parents went to see him in the early 70s when they first got married, they're now 70 & 71.

Unfortunately, the concert was cancelled due to covid. My parents are quite upset they won't get to see him.

RIP Charlie

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

This is so sad.

Last Christmas my wife and I bought my parents front row Charlie Pride tickets for Moncton NB.

My mother called me immediately Christmas morning crying. She said it was the best gift she had ever got. I did not know, but my parents went to see him in the early 70s when they first got married, they're now 70 & 71.

Unfortunately, the concert was cancelled due to covid. My parents are quite upset they won't get to see him.

RIP Charlie

That’s too bad. I always intend to see him as he came through Ontario regularly. But it was always in the summer and I never had the time.

RIP Charlie.

• Like 1

I grew up hearing his music along with a pile of other country artists of the time.  The record stack was basically limited to that genre.  I don't remember what age I was when I noticed that he had a different color skin.  At that time it didn't seem like any big deal.  It was all country music in my head.  It seems odd that now it is such a big deal.

This is quoted text from an old Charlie Pride interview.

“They used to ask me how it feels to be the `first colored country singer,‘” he told The Dallas Morning News in 1992. “Then it was `first Negro country singer;’ then `first black country singer.′ Now I’m the `first African-American country singer.′ That’s about the only thing that’s changed. This country is so race-conscious, so ate-up with colors and pigments. I call it `skin hangups’ — it’s a disease.”

He always seemed like a level headed guy.  He will be missed.

• Like 1

I met Charlie Pride in 09 on a reserve while we were up there selling atvs and sleds.  Was performing at an event they put on. Got a signed poster for the mom in law who absolutely loved Charlie. She shit her pants when I gave it to her. 

• Like 1