Check your account email address ×

Why did US incomes suddenly explode in 2018 after decades of tepid growth?

jtssrx

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

tight job market and the rich getting richer with Trumps tax plan therefore skewing the numbers.   

Actually the largest gains were in the lowest income groups.   They are also looking at median wages not average wages.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2

Just now, spin_dry said:

Yep. Shifted from wealth building to debt building. The national credit card was awesome 

:lol: Yeah what am I thinking....the country never ran deficits before Trump.  :lol:  

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lol: Yeah what am I thinking....the country never ran deficits before Trump.  :lol:  

Trump took it to an entirely new level. You know he has no difficulty running up debt. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2020/02/01/trumps-deficits-are-racing-past-obamas/amp/

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Trump took it to an entirely new level. You know he has no difficulty running up debt. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2020/02/01/trumps-deficits-are-racing-past-obamas/amp/

I am a public works contractor, govt spending is the gas that fuels our market and actually does trickle down into everything else. We have had record years the last 3 years. 

Just now, XC.Morrison said:

Too bad it’s not sustainable.  Keynesianism is a helluva drug.  

Its a new math kinda market. Was listening to Cramer this morning and he said it. Traditional investing fundamentals have no use in todays market. Patience, value, discipline have zero use in todays market. Buy what is popular and run with it is a far more successful strategy! Just spend spend spend! and then PARTY!!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

I am a public works contractor, govt spending is the gas that fuels our market and actually does trickle down into everything else. We have had record years the last 3 years. 

We put a real estate agent with bad manners in charge of the high office. It’s all expected. 

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

We put a real estate agent with bad manners in charge of the high office. It’s all expected. 

Ill tell you what... In 2005 thru 2007 I was thinking to myself "WTF is going on here? This RE market makes no sense" Well we know what happened. We are looking at something similar now. Nothing is making sense. Record unemployment, record bankruptcies, record deficits, world wide pandemic, etc... And the stock market is reaching record highs. Real estate market is on fire. Please tell me this doesnt feel like a bubble... 

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

Ill tell you what... In 2005 thru 2007 I was thinking to myself "WTF is going on here? This RE market makes no sense" Well we know what happened. We are looking at something similar now. Nothing is making sense. Record unemployment, record bankruptcies, record deficits, world wide pandemic, etc... And the stock market is reaching record highs. Real estate market is on fire. Please tell me this doesnt feel like a bubble... 

I’m not sure if it’s a total bubble. There’s a tremendous demographic shift occurring right now. This is the age of working remotely. People are leaving the cities and perching out in lesser populated areas. That’s being represented strongly by this last election. I think covid is going to take remote work to an entirely new level. There’s also people fleeing the violence and despair of the inner cities. Most are untrained, but wanting a better life. That leaves a huge demand for housing. In my area if you build it, they will come. 

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’m not sure if it’s a total bubble. There’s a tremendous demographic shift occurring right now. This is the age of working remotely. People are leaving the cities and perching out in lesser populated areas. That’s being represented strongly by this last election. I think covid is going to take remote work to an entirely new level. There’s also people fleeing the violence and despair of the inner cities. Most are untrained, but wanting a better life. That leaves a huge demand for housing. In my area if you build it, they will come. 

For sure. Was just talking to woodtick about this. Many are leaving the city and moving to the northwoods because of remote working. Try buying furniture up north right now. Try to buy a lawn tractor, a side by side, a snowmobile, etc.. they are selling like hotcakes. 

But the govt debt bubble is a lynch pin that sets it all off. Local to state to federal debt is a bomb that keeps getting bigger without any plan to mitigate it. And now they are in a position where they have to spend their way out of the current mess which only exacerbates the problem. 

The problems compound with the ethnic problems and violence in these cities that were already suffering huge deficits and now you have residents and businesses fleeing those cities? And all they talk about is govt money for this and that. I dont see how this gets better. 

10 minutes ago, Anler said:

For sure. Was just talking to woodtick about this. Many are leaving the city and moving to the northwoods because of remote working. Try buying furniture up north right now. Try to buy a lawn tractor, a side by side, a snowmobile, etc.. they are selling like hotcakes. 

But the govt debt bubble is a lynch pin that sets it all off. Local to state to federal debt is a bomb that keeps getting bigger without any plan to mitigate it. And now they are in a position where they have to spend their way out of the current mess which only exacerbates the problem. 

The problems compound with the ethnic problems and violence in these cities that were already suffering huge deficits and now you have residents and businesses fleeing those cities? And all they talk about is govt money for this and that. I dont see how this gets better. 

There was a 4 week wait to get internet installed at the cabin in Caddy. :lol: I think a lot of folks had the same idea I did...the guy told me they were swamped. 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Actually the largest gains were in the lowest income groups.   They are also looking at median wages not average wages.

Yup.  Thanks Trump.

45 minutes ago, Anler said:

Its a new math kinda market. Was listening to Cramer this morning and he said it. Traditional investing fundamentals have no use in todays market. Patience, value, discipline have zero use in todays market. Buy what is popular and run with it is a far more successful strategy! Just spend spend spend! and then PARTY!!!!

Cant stand that dingleberry :lol:. He’s wrong as often as he’s right.  But he hollers and waves his arms around so I guess it makes good tv.

30 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I agree.

42 minutes ago, Anler said:

33 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Can't say I would want to be in some commercial real estate right now.

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Yup.  Thanks Trump.

Cant stand that dingleberry :lol:. He’s wrong as often as he’s right.  But he hollers and waves his arms around so I guess it makes good tv.

I agree.

He knows what he is talking about and he knows the players. And it totally jives with what is going on. It doesnt take an expert to see that certain stocks are pumping that have near short term risk is not your typical wise investment strategy but for some odd reason... is working. 

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

He knows what he is talking about and he knows the players. And it totally jives with what is going on. It doesnt take an expert to see that certain stocks are pumping that have near short term risk is not your typical wise investment strategy but for some odd reason... is working. 

True.  Moderna announces their vaccine yesterday, stock is down about 6% today.  Wtf. :lol: