Check your account email address ×

Anyone care?

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

who the fuck uses a land line.  and a modern cell isn't easy to listen to for anyone but the government..  

When at home I never use my cell. Always a landline. I bet you get 2-3 messages a day ya cant figure out who the fuck it is or what they are saying. 

9 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

"no" what?

No it is not easy to listen to a cell phone conversation....you need sophisticated equipment to do it. This isn’t 1995 where people are talking in bag phones. You aren’t eavesdropping on a 4g network with a fucking antenna and some resistors

3 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

fact^^^

I consent to my data being sold and am made aware of that 

I do not consent to the faggot ass fucking piece of shit worthless government accessing my data and I am not made aware of that 

11 minutes ago, f7ben said:

No it is not easy to listen to a cell phone conversation....you need sophisticated equipment to do it. This isn’t 1995 where people are talking in bag phones. You aren’t eavesdropping on a 4g network with a fucking antenna and some resistors

$20 is what it takes to make one, or simply buy it. Many are for sale:

3G / 4G / 5G CELLULAR INTERCEPTOR FEATURES

• Automatic detection of 3G, 4G (LTE) & 5G networks (all frequency bands);
  • 2G (GSM) networks support is also possible;
  • IMSI, IMEI & TMSI detection & catching of all 3G, 4G & 5G phones;
  • Ability to detect additional information such as phone models and country of origin;
  • Accurate phone user geo-location with accuracy of less than 20m;
  • Mass interception to listen and record (as MP3 files) all voice communications exchanged within the covered area;
  • Powerful environment characterization (traditional passive as well as advanced Non-Alerting Techniques);
  • Automatically block selected 3G, 4G & 5G phones from the network. The phones will not be able to communicate;
  • Integrated Antenna Switch for up to 3 antennas;
  • User friendly graphical user interface (GUI);
  • Powerful database search facility for quick target identification.

With $20 of Gear from Amazon, Nearly Anyone Can Make This IMSI-Catcher in 30 Minutes

Surveillance takes on different character when it trickles down to more ordinary, everyday users. The significance and threat from IMSI-catchers is multiplied when a lot more people can deploy one using cheap tech from Amazon and free code from Github.

Nov 16 2018, 8:00am
ShareTweetSnap

IMAGE: MOTHERBOARD

The Weakest Link is Motherboard's third, annual theme week dedicated to the future of hacking and cybersecurity. Follow along here.

With some dirt cheap tech I bought from Amazon and 30-minutes of set-up time, I was streaming sensitive information from phones all around me. IMSIs, the unique identifier given to each SIM card, can be used to confirm whether someone is in a particular area. They can also be used as part of another attack to take over a person’s phone number and redirect their text messages. Obtaining this information was incredibly easy, even for a non-expert.

This attack isn’t revolutionary in any way—IMSI-catchers are certainly not new, and have become famous because they are commonly (and controversially) used by law enforcement to track suspected criminals. A commercial version made by Harris is called a “Stingray,” and they are sometimes called “cell-site simulators” or “fake cell towers.” This is because they spoof a cell phone tower’s connection, meaning that cell phones in the area will try to connect to it; in doing so, the IMSI-catcher is able to passively collect information about phones in the area.

Harris’s Stingray was so secretive that, for years, the FBI dropped criminal court cases that used Stingrays rather than reveal the details of how the evidence was gathered.

But a DIY IMSI catcher is relatively trivial to setup, and the technology is accessible to anyone with a cheap laptop, $20 of gear, and, the ability to essentially copy and paste some commands into a computer terminal. This is about ease of access; a lower barrier of technical entry. In a similar way to so-called spouseware—malware used by abusive partners—surveillance takes on different character when it trickles down to more ordinary, everyday users. The significance and threat from IMSI-catchers is multiplied when a lot more people can deploy one.

Got a tip? You can contact Joseph Cox securely on Signal on +44 20 8133 5190, OTR chat on jfcox@jabber.ccc.de, or email joseph.cox@vice.com.

For legal and technical reasons, our IMSI-catcher did not intercept text messages or phone calls, like more powerful versions can. It only captured IMSIs from devices, as well as provides some additional information such as the country and telecom operator of the phone. Motherboard did not store any of the collected data. You should be aware of the laws in your local region before attempting to do this; Motherboard does not condone or suggest you do anything illegal (and, even if legal, you shouldn’t use an IMSI catcher to do anything creepy.)

We’ll explain what each of these are, but in short, the process was:

• Buy a cheap, software defined radio
  • Install Ubuntu
  • Download IMSI-catcher script with its dependencies
  • Find the right frequency to scan for
  • Start scanning on that frequency and picking up IMSIs

FbyxkQTlwlXgW8qa32lL9nz1g82MhOQZyMO9DN8S

As the name implies, a software defined radio, or SDR, is simply a radio that instead of having its feature baked in at a hardware level, can be controlled by a computer program. We bought the ‘NooElec NESDR Mini’ from Amazon for around $20 and received it a few days later.

To get the SDR to talk to phones, I needed to give it some instructions. Fortunately, I didn’t need to write my own, but just take some code from GitHub. I used a Python tool simply called ‘IMSI-catcher’, written by the hacker known as Oros42. The program requires an up-to-date version of Ubuntu, a particular Linux distribution, that can be downloaded for free and written either to a USB stick or installed inside a virtual machine.

To install the IMSI-catcher software, I just followed the instructions on the project’s GitHub.

Once installed, I booted up grgsm_livemon, one of the programs included with the project. which presented a slider and a graph, to find a frequency to scan. This required a bit of trial and error—moving the frequency slider until finding a sweet spot where the graph represented a bell curve. The curve meant that the SDR had found what frequency nearby phones were broadcasting on. Depending on where you are, that frequency is going to be different.

Once I found the sweet spot, after a few seconds IMSIs started appearing on my screen.

imsi-catcher

CAPTION: A REDACTED PHOTO OF IMSIS CAPTURED BY THE SDR AND RELATED SCRIPT. IMAGE: MOTHERBOARD

If I wanted to make the IMSI-catcher a bit more portable, I could theoretically run it on a Raspberry-Pi, a miniature computer you can buy for as little as $30 or cheaper, depending on what model you need. Note that the IMSI-catcher would still need to have Ubuntu on the Pi, which it is not traditionally designed for, but it is likely possible. I would also need to make sure the SDR is receiving enough power from the USB port.

In all, the process of making an IMSI-catcher didn’t take much time at all, as I thankfully didn’t hit any roadblocks. I just made sure I had the latest version of Ubuntu, followed the instructions carefully, and ended up with an IMSI-catcher on my laptop.

Easily converted to listen to actual calls..

Edited by XCR1250

PORTABLE IMSI / IMEI CATCHER

Portable IMSI catcher introduces a new age for tactical systems in the services of intelligence agencies. This highly compact device which fits neatly into a jacket pocket allows conducting close-up operations covertly while being located in the immediate vicinity of targets.

Our mini IMSI Catcher can also be used as portable cellular locator (PCL) for tactical geo-location tracking and identity extraction. The device fully supports all GSM (900/1800, 850/1900), UMTS (2100, 1900, 1700, 900, 850), 4G/LTE & 5G bands and runs on battery that lasts for 6+ hours.

Combined with another compact unit, which does not even necessarily has to be located next to it, it also provides full interception capabilities (Call Interceptor, SMS and Data).

imsi catcher

• Direction-finding system;
  • Untraceable IMSI / IMEI extraction and tracking for 2G, 3G, 4G & 5G;
  • Location tracking: RF Measurements based positioning, distance measurements, distance measurements intersection, power reading measurements, Active Positioning:
  • Interception capabilities: Voice, SMS, Data (optional), SMS modification (optional);
  • Real time deciphering & interception: (require 2 units);
  • High range operation;
  • Silent Ring. Call to target feature;
  • User friendly touch screen interface;
  • Automatic target search;
  • Robust and fast operation;
  • Compact and lightweight solution.
  • Operation System: Android 4.4.4;
  • Antenna: (directional / omni-directional);
  • Supported frequency bands: 700/850/900 /1500/1700/1900 /2100/2600 (GSM, UMTS, CDMA, LTE, 5G);
  • Intercepts: IMSI, IMEI, TMSI, IMEI-SV;
  • System output: up to 500 mW;
  • Power source: 12V DC;
  • Active range: 300m;
  • Battery: Li-Ion, 6+ hours (standard working time);
  • Dimensions: HWD 19.5×9.2×4.2 cm;
  • Weight: 0.6 kg;
  • Delivery set: IMSI Catcher, Laptop, antenna, protective case, software;
  • Shipping: Worldwide.

20 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Just a general question but do you guys consider the web to be a private space?

lol only a fool thinks that . 

any pic you open just opened up is a window no a barn door for the hacker who posted it 

well that and the fact Google exists and thrives 

Edited by Ez ryder

23 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

imsi catcher isn't listening to calls

Mass interception to listen and record (as MP3 files) all voice communications exchanged within the covered area;

16 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Mass interception to listen and record (as MP3 files) all voice communications exchanged within the covered area;

You’re like talking to my mom....completely ignorant 

On 5/16/2020 at 7:01 AM, f7ben said:

I consent to my data being sold and am made aware of that 

I do not consent to the faggot ass fucking piece of shit worthless government accessing my data and I am not made aware of that 

Do you think these bootlickers know they will use this to neuter their 2nd amendment in the future? 

"Hey, I only agreed to it cuz I thought you were gonna use it to catch child molesters and Muslims n stuff, not use my racist and snowflake rants against me to put me on a watch list!!!!"

8 minutes ago, Anler said:

Do you think these bootlickers know they will use this to neuter their 2nd amendment in the future? 

"Hey, I only agreed to it cuz I thought you were gonna use it to catch child molesters and Muslims n stuff, not use my racist and snowflake rants against me to put me on a watch list!!!!"

My retarded Trump loving buddy said yesterday that these rights wouldn’t have to be taken from us if it weren’t for evil Jihadists and he was dead serious. I fucking lost my shit and nearly threw him and my mom out of my house. I just cannot tolerate such absolute willful ignorance 

Edited by f7ben

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

My retarded Trump loving buddy said yesterday that these rights wouldn’t have to be taken from us if it weren’t for evil Jihadists and he was dead serious. I fucking lost my shit and nearly through him and my mom out of my house. I just cannot tolerate such absolute willful ignorance 

Well we don't deserve rights if dumb fucks are willing to just forfeit them because they are scared of a manufactured Boogeyman.