Check your account email address ×

Coronavirus expert Dr. Osterholm questions guidelines on cloth masks

(WCCO) With the news of Mayo Clinic, Costco and all major American airlines now making facemasks mandatory, Americans are racing to buy or make masks at a record pace. A pre-eminent COVID-19 expert says that may not be necessary. 

Dr. Osterholm on using cloth and surgical masks in public

The University of Minnesota's Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy Dr. Michael Osterholm says that despite guidelines to the contrary, masks for the general public just don't help all that much. 

"We know that the virus can be transmitted by what we call air assaults, its the tiniest of particles. If anything comes in along the side of the mask or escapes that way, then it really minimizes both to protection for the individual who used the mask or the protection for others so that if I'm infected, I don't transmit to them. That's when you get into the surgical masks and to the cloth masks. And quite honestly, the data for both is lacking that they are major impediments, and he's getting infected or infecting others."

Osterholm does say that the popular N95 masks used by frontline healthcare workers are very important in helping the fight against coronavirus. 

"The N95 respirator. The thing that fits very tight on your face, the air actually passes through the material. The matrix materials are actually a cord material and that hardens and the virus is trapped when it goes through there, and it doesn't leak in along the side of the face. Those are the kinds of masks that we need for health care workers, first responders that are taking care of ill patients how to protect them. These are very important."

Related: National COVID-19 expert Dr. Osterholm receiving death threats

For most consumers, and even some frontline healthcare workers, N95 masks aren't available and they are only left with surgical masks. Dr. Osterholm says that those are better than nothing. 

"People want to wear a mask. That's great. But I think we're going to show in the end that many more health care workers were infected by working with only surgical masks and not N95 [masks]. I realize and understand the shortage of N95. I get that [surgical masks] are better than nothing, but I don't think that it offers anywhere near the protection that we need for this virus. 

"The next time you see the sunlight, peer through your room in your home and you see all that dust floating there, that's an air assault. When you and I just talk, we create those."

While many people are going out in public with cloth masks, Osterholm says the perceived protection they offer just isn't there. 

"Cloth masks, I think are at the very bottom of the list. They have little impact if any. But they've become basically something that people feel like they have to do or want to do it. If they want to do it, go ahead."

In many areas, though, it's no longer a matter of whether you want to do it or not. In Michigan, masks are mandatory in any public place, including grocery stores. The mayor of Stillwater, Okla., rescinded a mask order after it was discovered that employees trying to enforce it were threatened with physical violence.

Dr. Osterholm ended his discussion about masks on The Morning News with Dave Lee by saying they just aren't that helpful in normal public places.

"I can tell you right now I don't believe that they play any major role in either preventing me from getting infected if I use it or if I am infected and don't know it. I don't have any symptoms. They don't protect those around me from using it."

8 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Michael was saying all of this at the beginning of the pandemic. Among a lot of other good information. 

Remind us again what your stance is with regards to bandannas made into masks.  

7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Remind us again what your stance is with regards to bandannas made into masks.  

My stance has been consistent. Here’s what I have. I don’t wear a mask in public unless it’s mandatory by the business. 

8AB0BFE0-6966-46C5-957A-10AE71A633C2.jpeg

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

My stance has been consistent. Here’s what I have. I don’t wear a mask in public unless it’s mandatory by the business. 

8AB0BFE0-6966-46C5-957A-10AE71A633C2.jpeg

Thats great.  Pretty much exactly how I feel.  

And about those masks made out of bandannas, scarfs and old Tshirts, etc?  

7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Thats great.  Pretty much exactly how I feel.  

And about those masks made out of bandannas, scarfs and old Tshirts, etc?  

They’ll help to protect others, but not the wearer to any large extent. I guess they’re becoming a fashion statement. :lol: 

The best evidence Indicates that only prolonged exposure to airborne particles can get you sick. 

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

They’ll help to protect others, but not the wearer to any large extent. I guess they’re becoming a fashion statement. :lol: 

A fashion statement basically.  Good for them.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face, and stay out of large crowds. I can do that.

Would be nice to go to my office for a couple days and just shut the door to visitors.

• Like 1

The N95 with the check valve on the front crack me up more than the bandanna. People obviously don’t know  how a check valve works.:lol: Spin is dumb.:lol:

Edited by Woodtick
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

The N95 with the check valve on the front crack me up more than the bandanna. People obviously don’t how a check valve works.:lol: Spin is dumb.:lol:

Hahaha.  Yep,  many places have banned masks with valves.  The valve allows your exhaled breath to bypass the mask itself.  Those masks may protect the user but offer much less protection for people near the user.  I'm surprised that any HC worker is allowed to use a mask with valve.  

https://www.fastcompany.com/90496717/what-is-a-mask-valve-and-why-are-cities-banning-them

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Hahaha.  Yep,  many places have banned masks with valves.  The valve allows your exhaled breath to bypass the mask itself.  Those masks may protect the user but offer much less protection for people near the user.  I'm surprised that any HC worker is allowed to use a mask with valve.  

https://www.fastcompany.com/90496717/what-is-a-mask-valve-and-why-are-cities-banning-them

Tons of people wearing them and when they exhale,100% goes out.  They are saving the world in their head.

1 hour ago, Woodtick said:

The N95 with the check valve on the front crack me up more than the bandanna. People obviously don’t know  how a check valve works.:lol: Spin is dumb.:lol:

It’s amazing really.

36 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Tons of people wearing them and when they exhale,100% goes out.  They are saving the world in their head.

That’s all this is.

The gloves are the biggest joke.  People do not even understand how sterility works.  Touching everything with gloves is no different than touching things with your hands. You are far better off using hand sanitizer after leaving store , before you get in your car.  The only way gloves are going to help is if you have a sterile person put a new pair on every time you touch something.  

Edited by Cold War

3 hours ago, Woodtick said:

All of ours are issued with a taped valve. Due to the N95 mask shortage it’s a common modification. Fucking no nothing dummy. :lol: 

Edited by spin_dry

3 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

The masks are issued with a taped valve.