Check your account email address ×

Mnuchin Admits Trump's Budget Cuts Social Security Even as President Claims He Is 'Not Touching' the Program

46 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

sorry UR wrong,  i read here pubs aren't looking to cut SS

Don’t look at what they say or try to do derp....look at what actually gets done derr

oh the horrors....

"Pressed by Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto (D-Nev.) on the budget's call for tens of billions in cuts to Social Security over the next decade, Mnuchin said, "I believe it's not a cut, it's a reduction in the rate of increase. And it's not to the benefits of people on Social Security."

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

oh the horrors....

"Pressed by Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto (D-Nev.) on the budget's call for tens of billions in cuts to Social Security over the next decade, Mnuchin said, "I believe it's not a cut, it's a reduction in the rate of increase. And it's not to the benefits of people on Social Security."

When you’re devaluing the dollar at record pace while destroying the cola increase it amounts to slashing the benefit 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

When you’re devaluing the dollar at record pace while destroying the cola increase it amounts to slashing the benefit 

Until or unless inflation ravages that dollar, its not devalued, and government speak for spending reductions has always bothered me when the reality is exactly that they're just cutting the rate of increase.  Inflation is still low.  But I get your point.  There are no good options here.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Until or unless inflation ravages that dollar, its not devalued, and government speak for spending reductions has always bothered me when the reality is exactly that they're just cutting the rate of increase.  Inflation is still low.  But I get your point.  There are no good options here.

The option is to prioritize the social safety net and quit bailing out wall street

• Gold Member

A bunch of those on Social security or about to be have perished the past couple months...  more so then would have with out this nasty cold that is going around.  10’s upon 10’s of thousands if not a 100’s of thousands when it is all said and done this spring....  if this cold sticks around till next winter which some professionals are already sounding the siren’s it will even take more pressure off SS as it makes its way through the population.

12 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

oh the horrors....

But those FILTHLY republicans are cutting SS and medicare and medicaid, and the democrats claim these guys always cut it.   LOL. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Dear God.  :lol:  Nice source.  

Bravo.   SSDI is fraught with fraud.....maybe more so than any entitlement program in the Federal govt.

But the president's plan calls for billions in cuts to both programs. The budget specifically targets the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program with nearly $30 billion in cuts over the next 10 years.

Dear Common Dreams Readers:
Common Dreams is the one news source that cares about making the world a better place. We don’t just transcribe the events of the day, checking our values at the door. We believe in providing the news in a way that makes a better world possible. And that is needed now more than ever.

We believe that with a pandemic spiraling out of control, people desperately need information they can trust. And we believe that hard-hitting journalism is essential to hold the Trump administration accountable for their deadly incompetence. Common Dreams’ Spring Fundraising Campaign is critical to ensure that we can continue to provide the nonprofit progressive journalism you count on every day. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Please donate today. Thank you. -- Craig Brown, Co-founder

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

:lmao:  No chance a wording stories to fit a theme.  

CD stacked white email.png
Type of site
News, political analysis, and commentary for the progressive community

Look at who believes and posts from this.   FFS, some people really need to start doing some research instead of believing propaganda.

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Look at who believes and posts from this.   FFS, some people really need to start doing some research instead of believing propaganda.

The article so typical from the left was intended to be a headline shocker.   I can't imagine anyone would be against defeating SSDI fraud.   $3 billion a year decrease in the increase over 10 years is a fucking drop in the bucket. 

21 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Look at the local trumpers go to work. :lol: 

Highmark swears he isn't a Trumper....the fact that he has never uttered one word of criticism about anything the guy has said or done suggests otherwise but it's his story.  :lmao:

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Highmark swears he isn't a Trumper....the fact that he has never uttered one word of criticism about anything the guy has said or done suggests otherwise but it's his story.  :lmao:

Yeah so what?  All you do is shit on the guy.  I suppose you’re fair and balanced?

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Show me where I am wrong on this?   

BTW I never claimed I didn't support much of what Trump does however I call him out often where I disagree.   You just can't get over the personal aspect of things.  

Edited by Highmark

17 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

oh the horrors....

Every October, the Social Security Administration (SSA) announces its annual changes to the Social Security program for the coming year.1 Here are the Social Security changes that were announced in Oct. 2019 and took effect on Jan. 1, 2020, according to the SSA's annual fact sheet. Keep them in mind when you update your Social Security information.

Key Takeaways

• Social Security recipients got a 1.6% raise for 2020, compared with the 2.8% hike beneficiaries received in 2019.
  • Maximum earnings subject to the Social Security tax also increased—from $132,900 a year to $137,700.
  • Other changes for 2020 included an increase in how much money working Social Security recipients can earn before their benefits are reduced and a slight rise in disability benefits.
  • Social Security tax rates remain the same for 2020—6.2% on employees and 12.4% on the self-employed.
  • It now takes $1,410 to earn a single Social Security credit, up $50 from 2019.