Check your account email address ×

'The food supply chain is breaking,' Tyson says as plants close

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Hahaha. 80lb halibut. The beauty of halibut, besides the incredible meat, is just how easy they are to clean and how much in filets you can get off a single fish. No scales and you dont skin the fish before processing for the freezer. No bones in the filets. 

They really are a good tasting fish. I have a buddy that wraps seasoned rice into the fillets with a crunchy, cornmeal crust. It’s so good. 

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Damn those prawn's look amazing too.  :thumbsup:

A prawn permit cost $25 for the year. You can set 4 traps for each permit.  Im pretty sure they only had 2 traps to set so they didnt get a huge haul. 10lbs will be gone in a few meals. 

17 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

They really are a good tasting fish. I have a buddy that wraps seasoned rice into the fillets with a crunchy, cornmeal crust. It’s so good. 

Its such good fish. The only way to fuck it up is to over cook it. And even then its still good. 

Edited by AKIQPilot

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Its such goos fish. The only way to fuck it up is to over cook it. And even then its still good. 

Always liked Halibut.   Be amazing having that much. :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Always liked Halibut.   Be amazing having that much. :thumbsup:

We usually try to go out 3 times during spring/summer to restock. I dont always go but the kids do. I will typically go once. I will often trade the kids some of my moose or salmon for their halibut if we get low. 

This year I asked the kids to completely empty the freezer. Take anything you want. Raid my freezers before going to the grocery store.  They obliged so now my freezers are ready for some brand new fresh stuff. 

• Like 1

We normally fish for Halibut out of Whittier. Whittier is about 1 hour south of Anchorage. So about 1.75 hours from where I live. 

Whittier also has spring riding well into June. Ive ridden on June 8th before. Its a super gnarly ride to get back to the goods in Whittier. 

55 minutes ago, Anler said:

When we were at that wedding in Alaska 2 years ago they had a fish fry with halibut. That was amazing. Probably the best fish fry I have ever been to. 

Derrrrr! Da walleye is da best fish der is! Derrrrrrrr!!!!

:lol: 

48 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Great pics Thomas...that Halibut looks so good..never had it but it looks like some quality fish flesh.

Halibut is a beautiful white meat. It has zero fishy flavor. It freezes well and is almost as good after 1 year in the freezer as it was when it was fresh. 

They are like winching up a sheet of plywood when catching them though. They are typically fairly deep. 

12 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Derrrrr! Da walleye is da best fish der is! Derrrrrrrr!!!!

:lol: 

Hey before that a fresh walleye fish fry was definitely the best. Halibut is on another level. MinnesOta walleyes are da best!

3 minutes ago, frenchy said:

cod is really good too. 

Cod is very good too. We have a very robust population of Lingcod in Alaska. Many people throw lingcod back when they are after halibut. Lingcod take a bit more work to process but its good meat. 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I’ve had Alaskan halibut many times. It is fantastic tasting fish. I’d place it on par with walleye and crappie

Walleye is very good fish too. Remember when we fried up a whole mess of it at Jamstock. Using Dan Kovalo’s lard. 

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Cod is very good too. We have a very robust population of Lingcod in Alaska. Many people throw lingcod back when they are after halibut. Lingcod take a bit more work to process but its good meat. 

Walleye is very good fish too. Remember when we fried up a whole mess of it at Jamstock. Using Dan Kovalo’s lard. 

got some cod in the freezer think I will take some out for tomorrow :bc: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

MTM’s northern MN walleye is the best. 

I have a bunch of buds who do fish frys with the wallys they catch in N minnesOta and they are pretty damn good. 

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

got some cod in the freezer think I will take some out for tomorrow :bc: 

I cooked Dorado last night on the alderwood plank I got from du Village Gourmet. It was good but not like cod or halibut. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I cooked Dorado last night on the alderwood plank I got from du Village Gourmet. It was good but not like cod or halibut. 

image.jpg

We had fresh Dorado back in November when we were in Cabo. Was fucking amazing. 

19 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

you should stfu, you and the others that cheered this shut down on.

:lmao:

That doesn't even make sense...the plants are shutdown because the workers are sick.

IMG_5361.GIF.86c8a8faed2b9ceee8a13dbd4f9a09eb.GIF

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

image.jpg

Dorado is alright, get you some grouper you want good fish. Fishing in Florida is off the hook right now. Buddy sending daily pics of sailfish, dorado, king and grouper. Fuck him.

• Like 1

Just now, Big Crappie said:

The Minnesota commissioner of agriculture was on this morning saying a couple of the closed down plants will be coming back on line soon as in this week.

:thumbsup: