Check your account email address ×

UPMC says feared coronavirus surge ‘simply hasn’t happened,’ will resume elective surgeries

• Advertising Member

Of 5,500 beds in the UPMC hospital system, only 2% are occupied by COVID-19 patients, as are 8% percent of intensive care beds, according to Yealy, who also said UPMC has strong supplies of protective equipment such as masks, shields and gowns.

The 118 patients hospitalized with COVID-19 at UPMC hospitals are “not a significant increase from last week,” he said.

Yealy further said the rate of positive coronavirus tests done through UPMC hospitals has dropped to 6.6 percent, down from 12 percent earlier in the pandemic, another sign the coronavirus threat is declining in areas served by UPMC.

Moreover, UPMC has been hearing from patients who delayed surgeries related to things such as heart conditions or cancer, and is “not comfortable with the disruption in care this has caused for people who don’t have COVID-19,” he said.

He said the surgeries that will be resumed might be called non-urgent because they are done on a scheduled rather than emergency basis, but are “essential” to people waiting for them.

Yet Gov Wolf still has the entire fucking state locked down.......Gotta love living in PA.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/04/upmc-says-coronavirus-surge-simply-hasnt-happened-will-resume-elective-surgeries.html

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Now you tell us Dr.  Frankenputz!   :lol:

Huh?   WTF does that even mean.    Now you tell us.  :lol:   

If a hospital thinks it's safe to perform elective procedures then that is their right to determine. These people deal with infectious control everyday. Today is no different. It's called a hazard risk analysis and they are routine. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Anler said:

If a hospital thinks it's safe to perform elective procedures then that is their right to determine. These people deal with infectious control everyday. Today is no different. It's called a hazard risk analysis and they are routine. 

Yep and if the patient is on board get to cutting! 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yep and if the patient is on board get to cutting! 

Pretty much. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of hospitals I would not want to have a surgery at, on any day. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Anler said:

Indeed. One CV lawsuit and it’ll cost a hospital millions. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Personally I think Staph is a much more serious threat. My 80 year old MIL got out of the hospital about 3 weeks ago. Ans she got the "flu" while she was there. She didnt die. The old broad was in for a heart procedure too. 

• Advertising Member
11 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Meh....good luck getting that to stick.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be at a hospital unless it was life or death.  I do still go to the DR 3 times a week for my glorified tanning...that building has been empty for weeks.

• Advertising Member
Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Why, did somebody grab her by the pussy?

Well she used to be a dude.....so its possible LMFAO

That is PA Dept of Heath Director Rachel Levine.  In a prior life she was Richard.

Edited by Seatofmypants

12 minutes ago, Anler said:

Pretty much. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of hospitals I would not want to have a surgery at, on any day. 

Yep. 

7 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

Meh....good luck getting that to stick.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be at a hospital unless it was life or death.  I do still go to the DR 3 times a week for my glorified tanning...that building has been empty for weeks.

Whether it sticks or not, the litigation cost can be outrageous. And yes, a jury could give an award. 

10 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The lawsuits are already starting in the old homes.

There will be a lot more now that the feds ruled that homes need to disclose covid infections or related deaths. There’s tons of homes around the country that have been concealing covid related deaths.