Check your account email address ×

Amazon Worker Fired After Staging Walkout Over Company’s Handling Of Coronavirus Risk

• Platinum Contributing Member

Amazon fired an employee who helped organize a walkout at one of its fulfillment centers over the company’s response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic on Monday.

Chris Smalls, the employee who helped organize the demonstration, said he felt Amazon had failed to enact adequate measures to protect workers at the facility as many Americans turn to online shopping as stay-at-home mandates expand around the country. Smalls was one of a small group who walked out at a fulfillment center on Staten Island, demanding the company close the site and sanitize it before reopening. He said Amazon had notified employees at the warehouse of one confirmed case of the virus but claimed there were several others that hadn’t yet been reported.

Shortly after the strike, Smalls was terminated after working at Amazon for five years.

“Amazon would rather fire workers than face up to its total failure to do what it should to keep us, our families, and our communities safe,” Smalls said in a statement obtained by HuffPost. “I am outraged and disappointed, but I’m not shocked. As usual, Amazon would rather sweep a problem under the rug than act to keep workers and working communities safe.”

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Amazon fired an employee who helped organize a walkout at one of its fulfillment centers over the company’s response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic on Monday.

Chris Smalls, the employee who helped organize the demonstration, said he felt Amazon had failed to enact adequate measures to protect workers at the facility as many Americans turn to online shopping as stay-at-home mandates expand around the country. Smalls was one of a small group who walked out at a fulfillment center on Staten Island, demanding the company close the site and sanitize it before reopening. He said Amazon had notified employees at the warehouse of one confirmed case of the virus but claimed there were several others that hadn’t yet been reported.

Shortly after the strike, Smalls was terminated after working at Amazon for five years.

“Amazon would rather fire workers than face up to its total failure to do what it should to keep us, our families, and our communities safe,” Smalls said in a statement obtained by HuffPost. “I am outraged and disappointed, but I’m not shocked. As usual, Amazon would rather sweep a problem under the rug than act to keep workers and working communities safe.”

They should have taken a knee and claimed racism.

He can put his social activism on his resume.  It’s sure to impress his next potential employer.

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

Not now. No one wants to work a job that risks your health and that of those around you. 

Turn the news off. The reason they are always hiring,is because they shit can the ones that don’t want to work. They run a well oiled machine. They are booming right now. They were looking for help before this and now they need to expand because of this. It’s a great stepping stone for someone that doesn’t have a education or skills. You can move up fast there,if you are a go getter.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Turn the news off. The reason they are always hiring,is because they shit can the ones that don’t want to work. They run a well oiled machine. They are booming right now. They were looking for help before this and now they need to expand because of this. It’s a great stepping stone for someone that doesn’t have a education or skills. You can move up fast there,if you are a go getter.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

There will always be someone 

You two act as if we're back to normal.

It's sweet, but terribly naive.

If your Piggly wiggly shuts down because the workers walk out over unsafe conditions, no one in their right mind would go to work for them. 

That's why this could get out of hand real fucking quick. Employers who want to stay open making money will take all steps possible to protect their staff and their business. 

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

If your Piggly wiggly shuts down because the workers walk out over unsafe conditions, no one in their right mind would go to work for them. 

That's why this could get out of hand real fucking quick. Employers who want to stay open making money will take all steps possible to protect their staff and their business. 

You sound angry 

Do you still have potheads harvesting bud for you? Or you are shut down ?

6 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

They are taking steps,they need more employees to do that. Even the gas stations by me are hiring people to wipe down the pumps after each use. 

Just now, Woodtick said:

They are taking steps,they need more employees to do that. Even the gas stations by me are hiring people to wipe down the pumps after each use. 

Obviously not or people wouldn't be walking out

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

We're designated as an essential business.

You are also in small town USA and never interact with corporate America. Corporate America doesn’t want to shut down because all of their employees are sick? They are putting things in place to prevent that. Get your head out of the potting soil dude.

Just now, Woodtick said:

You are also in small town USA and never interact with corporate America. Corporate America doesn’t want to shut down because all of their employees are sick? They are putting things in place to prevent that. Get your head out of the potting soil dude.

My geography is irrelevant. 

Capitalists are only interested in stealing as much labor value as possible. They aren't nearly far sighted enough to anticipate that their shitty treatment of their employees will lead to wildcat strikes and walkouts.

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

:lol:

They will be fighting over them.  God the stupid is strong.

My son had a job delivering pizza right when he came home. Before he started,he got a call from the owner telling him all of his servers and bar tenders decided they would fill the delivery positions. He apologized to my son and my son had no problem and understood. People are going to adapt to this,well the ones that want to work will.