Check your account email address ×

any of you live in a icf home

i know it is sort of a 90s fad .

but I still have been thinking hard about building my self one.

beyond the cost and extra labor. 

what are your if any complaints about living /maintaining it ? 

on line it is nothing but a cheerleading session 

9 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

i know it is sort of a 90s fad .

but I still have been thinking hard about building my self one.

beyond the cost and extra labor. 

what are your if any complaints about living /maintaining it ? 

on line it is nothing but a cheerleading session 

What's that? Don't think I've ever heard about it.

Just now, f7ben said:

I see little benefit of above ground Icf construction when closed cell spray foam and stick building is so much cheaper and easier 

I like sips for above grade. Icf seems like a good idea for below grade, but seems like a waste of foam when you only need one thermal break. Two is redundant and wasteful.

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I see little benefit of above ground Icf construction when closed cell spray foam and stick building is so much cheaper and easier 

1.5 story's of this home would be underground . and with thermal sticks and cement heated floors it all adds up. and insurance is a up side 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

also I have done  the math on the building subs etc for me it really is less than 20g on a whole house  prob even less if a cash in some old favors lol .

I would still spray foam  the whole roof . 

6 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I like sips for above grade. Icf seems like a good idea for below grade, but seems like a waste of foam when you only need one thermal break. Two is redundant and wasteful.

why do you think it is redundant icf?

the way I see it it helps keep that mass of cement closer to interior temp . and gives you attachment ponts to boot .

12 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

o know they still do them I know guys who pump them . not need as many now as 15 yrs back . I just know no one who actually lives in one 

My sils cottage is icf. 

Pretty much any custom built home here would be that I've seen.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

My sils cottage is icf. 

Pretty much any custom built home here would be that I've seen.

wow much more populare in your parts . have not even had on in the parade of homes in MN metro in a few yrs 

8 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

why do you think it is redundant icf?

the way I see it it helps keep that mass of cement closer to interior temp . and gives you attachment ponts to boot .

One layer of foam on the inside and outside seems stupid. You only need one layer for a thermal break. Foam on the outside seems the most appropriate for colder climates. 

You want the inside uninsulated so the thermal mass of the concrete keeps temps more even. 

14 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

wow much more populare in your parts . have not even had on in the parade of homes in MN metro in a few yrs 

I really don't know what standard builders are doing for higher density homes, but custom ones, you would be hard pressed to find any that are not.

2 hours ago, motonoggin said:

One layer of foam on the inside and outside seems stupid. You only need one layer for a thermal break. Foam on the outside seems the most appropriate for colder climates. 

You want the inside uninsulated so the thermal mass of the concrete keeps temps more even. 

then you still need Polly and a stud wall to attach drywall and what not . and to get same R you would need 3 inches of foam on ext of home .

I may go with standard construction but have wanted a icf for some time now . and this project will be on my free time so woodframe could end up elements for stretches longer than I would like .

I just had to take my 2yr required continuing ed class this winter and believe it or not they were pushing wood foundations again . 

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

then you still need Polly and a stud wall to attach drywall and what not . and to get same R you would need 3 inches of foam on ext of home .

I may go with standard construction but have wanted a icf for some time now . and this project will be on my free time so woodframe could end up elements for stretches longer than I would like .

I just had to take my 2yr required continuing ed class this winter and believe it or not they were pushing wood foundations again . 

You don't really need r value if you have a thermal break. 

I've been planning a sip over timber frame and Ive been thinking about icf for the foundation, but for the above reasons I think it's overkill.