Check your account email address ×

Kenny Roberts on the TZ750. “They don’t pay me enough to ride this thing”

Just now, s pump said:

There you go. Good post. Maybe there is hope.

For the era that thing was nuts.    I just looked up the hp rating, it was only 90.  Hell, strap a good running 600 sled motor onto a close ratio transmission and you might even have something faster.  I suspect half the insanity of that bike was a combination of light switch power delivery and a chassis that just wasn't built to handle that kind of power back then, cuz 90 hp is nothing by todays standards.

18 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

For the era that thing was nuts.    I just looked up the hp rating, it was only 90.  Hell, strap a good running 600 sled motor onto a close ratio transmission and you might even have something faster.  I suspect half the insanity of that bike was a combination of light switch power delivery and a chassis that just wasn't built to handle that kind of power back then, cuz 90 hp is nothing by todays standards.

Factory rated the mill at 90hp. It was really around 125. Some clever porting and pipe work would put the power at 165. The same configuration today would get 250hp with new technology. The TZ has a very neat design for a gearbox. Rather than an oil bath it uses spray from nozzles for lubrication. It picked up a few more hp running at 10,500 by eliminating parasitic drag. Yamaha bottled up the power with a weird bore/stroke. If they would’ve shortened the stroke it could’ve given the motor more transfer porting. I rode one in 1981. My main ride at that time was a Kawasaki H2. The H2 felt anemic after an hour on the TZ and the H2 was no slouch. The TZ really did have a near vertical powerband. 

11 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

There's a cherry RZ at a dealership near you, let me know if you want to see it, it's gorgeous.

Image result for kenny roberts 2 stroke yamaha rz

I’ve got my hands full. Picked up a roached BMW GS. Over the summer I plan on bringing it back to life. Nothing cosmetic, just want to make it perfect mechanically. It’s got 175,000.  Summer of 2021 a friend of mine and I are riding to Alaska. We’re calling it the Neil Peart memorial ride because of his love for BMW’s and long distance sport touring . :) 

Edited by spin_dry
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

There's a cherry RZ at a dealership near you, let me know if you want to see it, it's gorgeous.

Image result for kenny roberts 2 stroke yamaha rz

One of my old racing buddies has a nice restored RZ just like that one.  :bc: 

32 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

One of my old racing buddies has a nice restored RZ just like that one.  :bc: 

The bike I'm talking about is just stop in your tracks beautiful, it's been at the dealership for a few years, apparently the owner went down to Central America or South America and was going to have the bike shipped to him..........

I had a yellow and black rz350 Kenny Roberts.  the dealers were overflowing with new holdovers when I got it . fun bike wish I still had it . my bud still has 1 with less than 500mi on it but he won't sell it to me because he knows I won't just let it rot in a basment .

I sold that 350 and got a 86fz600  huge upgrade at the time 

Edited by Ez ryder

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I’ve got my hands full. Picked up a roached BMW GS. Over the summer I plan on bringing it back to life. Nothing cosmetic, just want to make it perfect mechanically. It’s got 175,000.  Summer of 2021 a friend of mine and I are riding to Alaska. We’re calling it the Neil Peart memorial ride because of his love for BMW’s and long distance sport touring . :) 

If not true you suck otherwise very cool :good:

• Haha 1