Check your account email address ×

41 Years Ago Today...Mighty Fitz is lost

when i first came to ontario from nova scotia, i was a welder by trade. started working on a couple big lakers for lake ontario cement, then they sold out to esroc cement from montreal.

one of the jobs we done was to dismantle the ship and make them into floating barges cause they didn't want to man them, the plain was to push them around with tugs;

Edited by toslow

• Platinum Contributing Member
32 minutes ago, toslow said:

when i first came to ontario from nova scotia, i was a welder by trade. started working on a couple big lakers for lake ontario cement, then they sold out to esroc cement from montreal.

one of the jobs we done was to dismantle the ship and make them into floating barges cause they didn't want to man them, the plain was to push them around with tugs;

That is what they did the Medusa Challenger that hauls cement out of what is now St. Mary's Cement here in Charlevoix.

Photographer: Vedran Mlacic [View profile] Title: METIS Added: Apr 17, 2006
Captured:   IMO: 5233585 Hits: 1,397
Photo Category: Barges
Description:
April 12, 2004 (MONDAY) @ 7:00 AM Essroc’s cement barge METIS at Essroc’s Pier North, 328 Cherry Street at Toronto, Canada. Official Number 0198480/Year Built 1956/Year Rebuilt 1991/Port of Registry TORONTO/IMO 5233585/Type BARGE/GT 3,279.45 t/NT 2,950.34 t/Length 99.06 m/Breadth 13.41 m/Depth 7.38 m/Builder DAVIE SHIPBUILDING LTD. LAUZON,QUEBEC, CANADA/Owner ESSROC CANADA INC.,MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO,CANADA.