Check your account email address ×

Enormous trout reeled in, breaks 62-year record

• Platinum Contributing Member

CONCORD, NH – On Feb. 25, Thomas Knight of Meredith caught an enormous lake trout while ice fishing in northern New Hampshire. The fish was certified as a new state record, eclipsing the one established in 1958.

After a lengthy battle, Knight was able to bring the fish onto the ice and marvel at its size. An experienced lake trout angler, Knight knew that the prevailing record was 28 pounds and his fish seemed to be much bigger.

After a few phone calls to some close fishing buddies, Knight made his next call to Andy Schafermeyer, a Fisheries Biologist with the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department. In order to certify a fish’s size as a state record, it must be inspected and verified by a biologist.

The two met and began the process of measuring the characteristics that would certify this fish as the largest lake trout ever caught in New Hampshire.

“I’m not sure who was more excited,” said Schafermeyer. “I knew the fish stood a very good chance of breaking the record.” The two men placed the laker on a certified scale that measured a maximum weight of 30 pounds and the fish’s weight exceeded that.

“At that point, I knew that Knight had caught a new state record, but I didn’t know by how much,” continued Schafermeyer. The quest for a larger, certified scale was on as the two men drove around sharing the excitement of the situation. Finally, at a package distribution center, a scale with the proper state certification was located that had the capacity to measure a large weight.

When the display finally settled on 37.65 pounds, the two men, who had only met hours earlier, shared a heartfelt handshake and pat on the back. As phone calls and text messages poured in, Schafermeyer finalized the remaining inspection and paperwork.

https://manchesterinklink.com/enormous-trout-reeled-in-breaks-62-year-record/?fbclid=IwAR0gLU9PiI9BJ48LR09cIJxU_bDvli-QsiwApCMCO4D8G5-nr6Mr3ljY9Hs

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Sweet. It’s been years, but I’m going to take up fly fishing this year. 

I was eating lunch by the Farmington River this week and 3 anglers were pulling in brookies left and right. Got me digging through my garage for my Orvis carbon rod. Needs to be relined to use but I think I'll get after it. Small stripers are a riot on it.

Edited by s pump
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Sweet. It’s been years, but I’m going to take up fly fishing this year. 

I have been fly fishing since I was a kid and since I retired I have been out more and realized how much I enjoy it. I may try salt water this spring if I get off my ass and buy a heavier salt rod.

I've never tried a fly rod but it looks like fun once you get the knack of it. I still have the old cherrywood rod I bought when I was 12yrs old that I'll get refinished one of these days. I use a 7ft rod with an old Cardinal 3 spinning reel and a 6ft med/heavy Shimano rod with a Shimano Curado bait caster. Hopefully I'll get the tin boat in the water more often this year

16 minutes ago, smokin george said:

I've never tried a fly rod but it looks like fun once you get the knack of it. I still have the old cherrywood rod I bought when I was 12yrs old that I'll get refinished one of these days. I use a 7ft rod with an old Cardinal 3 spinning reel and a 6ft med/heavy Shimano rod with a Shimano Curado bait caster. Hopefully I'll get the tin boat in the water more often this year

Fishing trout stream in New England is a bit frustrating as many are only 20 feet wide. Not a lot of room for back casting. I love fishing in the Mystic River from my dinghy for stripers. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
38 minutes ago, s pump said:

Fishing trout stream in New England is a bit frustrating as many are only 20 feet wide. Not a lot of room for back casting. I love fishing in the Mystic River from my dinghy for stripers. 

You should try the ct river in pittsburg NH . You would enjoy it.