Check your account email address ×

American health care system costs four times more than Canada's single-payer system

American health care system costs four times more than Canada's single-payer system

Average Americans pay $2,497 a year for insurance overhead and admin costs, while Canadians pay just $551 

IGOR DERYSH 
FEBRUARY 15, 2020 3:00 PM, Salon

The cost of administering health care in the United States costs four times as much as it does in Canada, which has had a single-payer system for nearly 60 years, according to a new study. 

The average American pays a whopping $2,497 per year in administrative costs — which fund insurer overhead and salaries of administrative workers as well as executive pay packages and growing profits — compared to $551 per person per year in Canada, according to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine last month. The study estimated that cutting administrative costs to Canadian levels could save more than $600 billion per year. 

The data contradicts claims by opponents of single-payer health care systems, who have argued that private programs are more efficient than government-run health care. The debate over the feasibility of a single-payer health care has dominated the Democratic presidential race, where candidates like Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., advocate for a system similar to Canada's while moderates like former Vice President Joe Biden and former South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg have warned against scrapping private health care plans entirely. 

Canada had administrative costs similar to those in the United States before it switched to a single-payer system in 1962, according to the study's authors, who are researchers at Harvard Medical School, the City University of New York at Hunter College, and the University of Ottawa. But by 1999, administrative costs accounted for 31% of American health care expenses, compared to less than 17% in Canada. 

https://www.salon.com/2020/02/15/american-health-care-system-costs-four-times-more-than-canadas-single-payer-system/

16 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Average Americans pay $2,497 a year for insurance overhead and admin costs, while Canadians pay just $551 

IGOR DERYSH 
FEBRUARY 15, 2020 3:00 PM, Salon

The cost of administering health care in the United States costs four times as much as it does in Canada, which has had a single-payer system for nearly 60 years, according to a new study. 

The average American pays a whopping $2,497 per year in administrative costs — which fund insurer overhead and salaries of administrative workers as well as executive pay packages and growing profits — compared to $551 per person per year in Canada, according to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine last month. The study estimated that cutting administrative costs to Canadian levels could save more than $600 billion per year. 

The data contradicts claims by opponents of single-payer health care systems, who have argued that private programs are more efficient than government-run health care. The debate over the feasibility of a single-payer health care has dominated the Democratic presidential race, where candidates like Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., advocate for a system similar to Canada's while moderates like former Vice President Joe Biden and former South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg have warned against scrapping private health care plans entirely. 

Canada had administrative costs similar to those in the United States before it switched to a single-payer system in 1962, according to the study's authors, who are researchers at Harvard Medical School, the City University of New York at Hunter College, and the University of Ottawa. But by 1999, administrative costs accounted for 31% of American health care expenses, compared to less than 17% in Canada. 

https://www.salon.com/2020/02/15/american-health-care-system-costs-four-times-more-than-canadas-single-payer-system/

So move there.

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

When Canadians come spend winter in the US they have to buy extra health insurance just so they have coverage while they are here. 

Not a bad thing just Something I didnt realize until this past year. 

Yeah that’s if we travel anywhere out of the country 

Edited by ACE
  • Like 1

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

When Canadians come spend winter in the US they have to buy extra health insurance just so they have coverage while they are here. 

Not a bad thing just Something I didn't realize until this past year. 

Always been that way as far as I know? Plus, there is, I believe, a 6 month window, meaning you can't stay any longer than 6 months at a time without leaving/coming home for at least one day. 

I was going to get travel insurance through my work when I retired as I kept hearing the rates were really good. Turns out they are, but only for those types that travel 3-5 times a year or those who stay in a place like Florida for the winter.

It didn't work for me as I rarely travel and if I do take a trip sometime, it would be way cheaper just to purchase it when I need it. In order to keep the rates up I was offered, you needed to purchase them every year regardless if you traveled or not or else you lost those rates. 

• Like 1