Check your account email address ×

finally a reality

Nice. We had the same situation on a trail we wanted to use but the state said it cost 180k to fix the bridge and it would have to wait. The local club built the bridge for 8 grand. :lol: 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Nice. We had the same situation on a trail we wanted to use but the state said it cost 180k to fix the bridge and it would have to wait. The local club built the bridge for 8 grand. :lol: 

Good lord......it must have had something to do with paying union carpenters prevailing wage and maybe even extra for dealing with the anguish of working out in the desolate bush. :lol:

30 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Good lord......it must have had something to do with paying union carpenters prevailing wage and maybe even extra for dealing with the anguish of working out in the desolate bush. :lol:

All volunteers! The money was for lumber, and it didn’t take long to build.
As if we needed more evidence they take a torch to our money. They're probably still doing engineering studies and looking for endangered species that would be harmed by the new bridge. :flush: 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

After 15 years in the planning we finally have our new section of trail, it is on an old railroad bed that was a local trail for years, county shut it down due to a unsafe bridge this year they rebuilt the bridge for the NYS Erie canal heritage trail corridor and allowed us to resume use as a state trail. Went out today and got the signing done on it

DSCN0392.JPG

DSCN0393.JPG

DSCN0394.JPG

Nice work!   :bc:

1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

bridge is over the current Erie canal and was the old West Shore railroad mainline 200' away from the old New York Central(currently CSX) water level route

I wonder what it cost to build?  I'm assuming the state had it built, not the club volunteers?

21 minutes ago, hayward said:

I wonder what it cost to build?  I'm assuming the state had it built, not the club volunteers?

this was a double track bridge that the county removed the old ties, and resurfaced the bridge with 12" thick prefabbed wood panels and installed railings bridge was built to handle groomer weight, if what I hear is correct bridge cost 50k+ luckily this cost the club nothing. 25 miles of our trail is on the old towpath for the Erie Canal and county has done thousands in upgrades along the way, this is the 25 mile section I maintain and they have saved me a lot of work so win win

• Like 1