Check your account email address ×

WTF College...

At least it saved her the $45k a year in tuition.  Everyone wants to send their kids to these elite schools. It's just another contest to keep up with the Jones's.

I have gone to small schools and big schools. Generally the small ones were better for learning but the big schools have the name people chase.

There are good engineers on my team who have gone to 2 year schools or 4 year state schools. All are better engineers than I am even though I went to a top 25 school.

2 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

At least it saved her the $45k a year in tuition.  Everyone wants to send their kids to these elite schools. It's just another contest to keep up with the Jones's.

I have gone to small schools and big schools. Generally the small ones were better for learning but the big schools have the name people chase.

There are good engineers on my team who have gone to 2 year schools or 4 year state schools. All are better engineers than I am even though I went to a top 25 school.

have friends who are going to spend close to 280k sending their kid to Dartmouth,  she had full rides to a half dozen quality schools but then they wouldn't be always wearing their dartmouth gear to let everyone know how smart their spawn was.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

have friends who are going to spend close to 280k sending their kid to Dartmouth,  she had full rides to a half dozen quality schools but then they wouldn't be always wearing their dartmouth gear to let everyone know how smart their spawn was.  

You got it.  Hopefully they have the cash to burn.  Otherwise they are going to sign their kid up for 20 years of student loan payments.

2 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Some of our best design guys never went to college. They draw it out and one of our PE’s stamps it. Our top sales engineers never went to college and makes twice what our top PE makes. As a matter of fact,I probably make a bit more than our top PE.  

3 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

The ones with the better reputation attract better students, they do not produce better engineers or the like due to their academic program.  

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

Had this discussion with one of my old sons friends parents who decided to send their son, to a private school.  We call them buy a grade, cause most will drop a couple of grades if ever integrated back into the public system.