Check your account email address ×

I want someone to articulate why warm temps are a bad thing.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Why?

I give the grass a lite spritz during the heat of the day and a full water over night.   Hasn’t rained prolly over a month now.   Water is also free as it’s water rights from the river so if the community don’t use it, it just goes to the Pacific Ocean causing sea levels to rise..... if I irrigate a shit load in the desert it will assist to keep sea levels in check

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

What are you on all sand?

River rock and clay type shit.  Roots don’t really go all that deep.  High desert....  A bullfrog even fucking nailed me in the back as I was mowing yesterday.  He was hiding out in my grass.  Must have made the 1/4 mile trek from the canal to my yard.

2C0537B8-02FD-4BB1-9D0C-89A8558B2679.jpeg

5A2773ED-801D-49A3-A2B3-1F40FE3D77C2.jpeg

11 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I give the grass a lite spritz during the heat of the day and a full water over night.   Hasn’t rained prolly over a month now.   Water is also free as it’s water rights from the river so if the community don’t use it, it just goes to the Pacific Ocean causing sea levels to rise..... if I irrigate a shit load in the desert it will assist to keep sea levels in check

River rock and clay type shit.  Roots don’t really go all that deep.  High desert....  A bullfrog even fucking nailed me in the back as I was mowing yesterday.  He was hiding out in my grass.  Must have made the 1/4 mile trek from the canal to my yard.

2C0537B8-02FD-4BB1-9D0C-89A8558B2679.jpeg

5A2773ED-801D-49A3-A2B3-1F40FE3D77C2.jpeg

My pond is full of those guys. Quite the symphony at night time lol 

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Makes sense with the water "free."   I do at times in the heat of the summer as long as the wind is fairly calm otherwise more ends in places I'm not intending on watering.

Other reason not to is if it doesn't dry quick enough you can end up with fungus issues like Red Thread or Dollar Spot.   I fight that when we are too wet and humid.   

Some suggest one deep watering once a week which I feel is not enough.   I give it a smaller shot every morning.   Also helps knock the dew off which can be the biggest fungus culprit.   

41 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Makes sense with the water "free."   I do at times in the heat of the summer as long as the wind is fairly calm otherwise more ends in places I'm not intending on watering.

Other reason not to is if it doesn't dry quick enough you can end up with fungus issues like Red Thread or Dollar Spot.   I fight that when we are too wet and humid.   

Some suggest one deep watering once a week which I feel is not enough.   I give it a smaller shot every morning.   Also helps knock the dew off which can be the biggest fungus culprit.   

I will not go as far as saying this is junk science. But to tell someone to water like this without knowing if their soil structure has the ability to hold water is ridiculous. Yet I even see it recommended by water districts.

• Gold Member
42 minutes ago, Highmark said:

It’s like 90 degrees and under 30% humidity so it dries quick.   I give the grass a spritz for 1 minute every 3 hours in the afternoon.  Water pretty deep every night around midnight for 15 minutes a sector.  Dump a bag of iron at it every 2 weeks and a nitrogen rich fertilizer once a month.  It sucks in the fact it needs to be cut every three days and I’m on the 3.5 inch setting on my mower.  Was think about getting one of those robot mowers and just have it mow every other day.

I let my grass go dormant when it doesn’t rain. Fuck all that grass cutting shit. It doesn’t look any worse than it does Dec- March. I mainly do this because I’m a environmentalist,not because I’m lazy.:ashamed:

14 hours ago, Woodtick said:

I let my grass go dormant when it doesn’t rain. Fuck all that grass cutting shit. It doesn’t look any worse than it does Dec- March. I mainly do this because I’m a environmentalist,not because I’m lazy.:ashamed:

sure.  I like a good looking lawn but with my son headed to Korea in 2 weeks then off to college i probably should let it go dormant to keep from having to take over the mowing.  

The last thing I want to do is help my grass grow faster. 

We have had non stop rain all summer it seems and I need to cut it almost twice a week. I don't because fuck cutting grass. When I do cut the lawn it is a 2-3 hour job. 

I picked up a used John Deere LT166 back in May. I put a new set of blades on it and it has significantly dropped my cut time from my old mower but it still sucks lol.

2 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

The last thing I want to do is help my grass grow faster. 

We have had non stop rain all summer it seems and I need to cut it almost twice a week. I don't because fuck cutting grass. When I do cut the lawn it is a 2-3 hour job. 

I picked up a used John Deere LT166 back in May. I put a new set of blades on it and it has significantly dropped my cut time from my old mower but it still sucks lol.

i'm on a .6 acre lot with a big house in it so it's not that much time.  When i moved in i had the worst grass on the street which is why irrigation was installed and I have a service for fertilizing and grub treatment.  Neighbors lawn gets grub infested and mine keeps looking green.  

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i'm on a .6 acre lot with a big house in it so it's not that much time.  When i moved in i had the worst grass on the street which is why irrigation was installed and I have a service for fertilizing and grub treatment.  Neighbors lawn gets grub infested and mine keeps looking green.  

Just pay someone to cut it. I hate cutting and will never cut it myself until Im retired and bored. And if I retire with enough money not to be bored I'll pay someone then too.

12 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Just pay someone to cut it. I hate cutting and will never cut it myself until Im retired and bored. And if I retire with enough money not to be bored I'll pay someone then too.

I used to, it got too expense and at heart I am cheap.  Kid owes me money so it's a good way for him to work it off.  

Edited by Angry ginger

Just now, Angry ginger said:

I used to, it got too expense and at heart I am cheap.  Kid owes me money so it's a good way for him to work it off.  

Fuck all you ballers are cheap pricks. You aint  snottys kid are you?