Check your account email address ×

Arm the teachers they say...

28 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Sad

My son graduates this year and is going into a pre apprenticeship program at Macomb this fall. It's 4 classes, 1 day a week. Shop math, blueprint reading and I forgot what the other 2 are. 9 credit hours. And it's FREE. If he does well (which he will have no problem doing) and wants to pursue an apprenticeship, they will set him up with classes and put him in touch with companies who are looking for apprentice's to hire as future journeymen. If he decides he doesn't want to do it anymore, he can put it on hold, or transfer those credits (and anymore that he earned) to any other college/University. 

Lots of guys won't retire because they're afraid that's exactly what will happen to them.  My dad had a mild heart attack at 68. He was still working 7 days a week at Chrysler. After he recovered and went back to work, my mom made him take a buyout about a year later. My dad worked full time from the age of 12. That's all he knew. Thankfully he got out of there in 2002. 

Good for him. Excellent that he has a plan..............Just make sure those credits will transfer to the college he plans to attend.  I know so many people/parents that wasted two years at community colleges only to find out the credits would not transfer to a university. 

Tried getting my nephew aboard with paid apprenticeship.  All he can see is he can  get a dead end cushy job for  the same money.    Can't see the long term of making a livable wage when he acquires the necessary skills. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Anler said:

I see it too. Some people are very lonely and the people they interact with at work are some of the only people they have in their lives. Also alot of people drop dead soon after they retire. Sometimes you need a reason to get out of bed every morning. 

Saw that same thing at Medusa Cement where my Stepdad worked for years...he would go in an hour early everyday just to have coffee with the fellas...fortuantely he lived a long and healthy life after retirement but more than a few didn’t...it’s a strange phenomenon but understandable. 

4 hours ago, Mainecat said:

It’s retarded that age question comes to your warped fuckin mind before WTF is a gun doing on a teacher.

It’s just a tool. No different than walking around with scissors or a pen 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anler said:

I see it too. Some people are very lonely and the people they interact with at work are some of the only people they have in their lives. Also alot of people drop dead soon after they retire. Sometimes you need a reason to get out of bed every morning. 

Yep  We have a master electrician like that.  I think he's 79. Wife is dead, kids are all grown and moved out of state.  Only thing keeping him busy is work.  Guys a multi millionaire but he'll never enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

I don't care how old someone is if they are capable.   I do think however there is something said about moving out of the workforce so younger workers can have a chance but if a place can't find workers then they should work.  

Reality is if our SS system wasn't such a scam virtually everyone who contributed from an early age should bet set to retire when they are in their late 50's or early 60's.  

BINGO!  And with how the Dumbs want to give our SS money away to people who have no business being here (and other countries), and let foreigners in on it , who haven't paid much, if any into it , who knows what's going to be left in the next 15-20 years when the majority of us on here will be retired?

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Good for him. Excellent that he has a plan..............Just make sure those credits will transfer to the college he plans to attend.  I know so many people/parents that wasted two years at community colleges only to find out the credits would not transfer to a university. 

Tried getting my nephew aboard with paid apprenticeship.  All he can see is he can  get a dead end cushy job for  the same money.    Can't see the long term of making a livable wage when he acquires the necessary skills. 

She said they transfer to any other college and universities. 

My son likes the idea of being able to go to school and get paid for it. And have a job lined up after getting his card, and not being in debt (and us too) Unfortunately most kids don't see that big picture.  

46 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Saw that same thing at Medusa Cement where my Stepdad worked for years...he would go in an hour early everyday just to have coffee with the fellas...fortuantely he lived a long and healthy life after retirement but more than a few didn’t...it’s a strange phenomenon but understandable. 

See that too.  Fuck that, I'd rather have the extra hour of sleep. 

Edited by SVT Renegade XRS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

I don't care how old someone is if they are capable.   I do think however there is something said about moving out of the workforce so younger workers can have a chance but if a place can't find workers then they should work.  

Reality is if our SS system wasn't such a scam virtually everyone who contributed from an early age should bet set to retire when they are in their late 50's or early 60's.  

if we would allow the money to be placed in the market sure but the current system where the recipient does not control their investment is needed as too many would piss it away if they were to invest it on their own.  Broad market ETF is where the government should be placing the money they collect and it should never be used for anything outside retirement.  

• Thanks 1

Not too many young people want to do the hard trade work anymore. 

I got an estimate to re-point my chimney----$ 2500.00. 

Plumbers won't even return calls nowadays. 

I had an electrician, who told me he would not answer the phone unless it was an established customer...……..arrogant fuck. 

I had a tree guy quote me $500. 00 just to knock two trees down. Didn't even want the job. He REALLY SUCKED, but he's got a big business going, and probably making a killing. 

5 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

There a couple of guys in my shop that are well into their 70s.  We have a Millwright here who is 82. They have no lives outside of work.  They have no hobbies.  Going to work is all they know.  

Fuck that

Arming teachers is the most insane thing I've ever heard. 

Yeah, you might have a couple of capable teachers who can handle it, but the average teacher...…………..NO WAY!!!

I’ve also noticed a big upswing in kids my daughters age going to Linesman School...NMU has a one year program and there are quite a few doing it there as well as Alpena Community College. 

49 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

if we would allow the money to be placed in the market sure but the current system where the recipient does not control their investment is needed as too many would piss it away if they were to invest it on their own.  Broad market ETF is where the government should be placing the money they collect and it should never be used for anything outside retirement.  

Just a small part of what makes ss a scam.  

35 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Just a small part of what makes ss a scam.  

for a big portion of our population they would have nothing without SS so while them are not aggressive enough int the investment to return enough to payout it's a system that must remain mandatory  

21 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

for a big portion of our population they would have nothing without SS so while them are not aggressive enough int the investment to return enough to payout it's a system that must remain mandatory  

We should be given the option how to manage our retirement, not be forced to pay into SS.   

Thankfully when SS is broke from the DemoRATs,  at least I'll have money of my own that I've invested. 

Edited by SVT Renegade XRS
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SVT Renegade XRS said:

We should be given the option how to manage our retirement, not be forced to pay into SS.   

Thankfully when SS is broke, at least I'll have money of my own that I've invested. 

nope because those who think they can manage it but really can't then become a burden to all of us.  at least SS gives those people some sort of baseline income.  

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

nope because those who think they can manage it but really can't then become a burden to all of us.  at least SS gives those people some sort of baseline income.  

Idgaf about them. It's my $ , I shouldn't be forced into a something that's not going to be there when it's time for me to retire.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Again, not what it makes a scam in my book.

1. If you pay in anywhere near max you don't come close to getting a proper return.

2. It should be your money to pass to whomever you want.   You and your spouse can work your whole life and if you both die on your day of retirement your portion goes into the kitty.  If they are 18 and not in HS too bad....even if you've kicked in millions.  

3. The system is RAMPANT with fraud (especially in the disability portion) as their is no real desire to eliminate it.   

47 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

yes the disability system is rampant with fraud.  I understand point 1 but its a safety net for all not a normal investment which also applies to #2.  

Hey I guess I can accept its not normal investment but at least guarantee me back what I put in.   Its not even close to that.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 2