Check your account email address ×

Another turn to shit Trump idea. Kill the US auto industry with 2k per vehicle tarrifs

Trump administration withholds report justifying 'shock' auto tariffs

Source: Politico
The Commerce Department's February finding that major tariffs on foreign cars can be justified on national security grounds has not previously been confirmed. 

By ELIANA JOHNSON and ANDREW RESTUCCIA 

03/20/2019 05:05 AM EDT 

A confidential government report has provided President Donald Trump with a legal rationale to impose heavy new tariffs on foreign cars as soon as this spring, a prospect fiercely opposed by White House officials and congressional Republicans alarmed by its enormous economic and political stakes. 

The Commerce Department submitted the report to the White House in mid-February, triggering a 90-day period for Trump to decide whether to impose tariffs, which could reach as high as 25 percent, on imported autos. It concluded that Trump could justify the tariffs on national security grounds and offered a range of options in response — putting the decision in the president’s hands, four people familiar with its conclusions told POLITICO. 

Although the existence of the report was previously known, the administration has kept its findings hidden — including from a powerful Republican senator who has demanded to see it — and its conclusion had not been previously reported.................................. 

But Trump’s senior economic advisers are almost universally opposed to slapping new tariffs on auto imports, warning of dire economic and political consequences. They argue that the tariffs would infuriate close U.S. allies from Asia to Western Europe. German Chancellor Angela Merkel said last month that the idea German cars threaten the U.S. would be “a shock.” The move could also undermine efforts to persuade Congress to approve the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade deal. 

Read more: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/20/trump-tariffs-automobiles-commerce-1228344

• Platinum Contributing Member

Virtually every country we export vehicles to has large tariffs on them but hey let's continue to bend over for unequal treatment from the rest of the world.

Edited by Highmark

11 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

25% tarrifs.

FUCK TRUMP

Still haven’t figured out his negotiating style and tactics yet huh? Does China ring a bell? 

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Fuckin apologists here make me sick.

It’s just a different approach. I don’t like tariffs either. But don’t be so butthurt. Time will tell if it’s working. If not, then he got about as much done on trade as the last guy. :dunno: 

4 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

China eh, nothing like the welfare we are providing the soybean farmers...............winning.

Such short term thinking Vin just to bust the guys balls. I’m surprised coming from you. Did you hear what Cramer had to say yesterday about China and tariffs? Look it up. It’s good stuff. 

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Fuck em , I drive American made.

When they sell less of American cars the price goes up. They sell less overseas due to the huge import taffifs countries put on them due to Trumps ignorance

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

And less competition, from better quality cars, will do what?

THe competition will still be there. My stand on tarrifs  is the same as it has always been . I don't care if it's 0% or 100% as long as it's the same as the other country charges us.

• Like 1