Check your account email address ×

Florida poll tax

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Anler said:

After you have served your time how are you supposed to integrate back into society with no options and no rights? Looks like a path right back into a life of crime. Have you been drinking the same water as Stumpy? 

Millions of American's can vote yet don't.   Not sure how they integrate in society.  :lol:  

As far as no rights I see 2 that they lose.   Voting and firearms.    Its bullshit to claim they cannot survive or integrate in society.  

Edited by Highmark

4 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

Wtf? Like people are going pay for this?

“Hillary Clinton and Sen. Kamala Harris on Wednesday joined Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in denouncing a Republican-sponsored bill in the Florida legislature that would require felons seeking to have their voting rights restored to pay back the state for the cost of their trials.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-tax-ocasio-cortez-clinton-and-harris-blast-florida-republicans-for-move-to-make-florida-felons-pay-to-vote-185150782.html

what is wrong with that ? great idea if you ask me . 

some states do shit right you get busted for say dui and are found guilty you pay for every state cost from the second you were pulled over cop hourly wage your meals in jail your daily rack rate for the shit bed the judge the paper work the clerks all of it . 

I say good make the people using the system flip the bill 

17 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

some states do shit right you get busted for say dui and are found guilty you pay for every state cost from the second you were pulled over cop hourly wage your meals in jail your daily rack rate for the shit bed the judge the paper work the clerks all of it . 

and the result will be just what the gop wants, less votes against them. very few would pay that bill. 

21 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Millions of American's can vote yet don't.   Not sure how they integrate in society.  :lol:  

As far as no rights I see 2 that they lose.   Voting and firearms.    Its bullshit to claim they cannot survive or integrate in society.  

But they can. Why not let ex cons vote if they want to? Not saying they need firearms but what are you afraid of by allowing them to vote? 

24 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

It opens the door for more aggressive incarceration. The private prison system is already overly aggressive in lobbying for stricter penalties. The freest country on earth also has the highest number of people incarcerated. 

Edited by Anler

1 minute ago, Anler said:

But they can. Why not let ex cons vote if they want to? Not saying they need firearms but what are you afraid of by allowing them to vote? 

So the fact of if someone can or cannot vote is a measure of how they integrate into society?  :lol:   What about the millions of here on work visa's, green cards or here working illegally?  

I'm not afraid of anything letting them vote.   Its simply part of the justice system as a cost you pay to society for making society pay for what you did.   It's laughable to claim they "paid" their debt.   Maybe in terms of time served but the taxpayer pays too.   

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

So the fact of if someone can or cannot vote is a measure of how they integrate into society?  :lol:   What about the millions of here on work visa's, green cards or here working illegally?  

I'm not afraid of anything letting them vote.   Its simply part of the justice system as a cost you pay to society for making society pay for what you did.   It's laughable to claim they "paid" their debt.   Maybe in terms of time served but the taxpayer pays too.   

You are taking this is another direction. My comment wasnt one dimensional like you are trying to make it. Why cant people who have paid their debt be allowed to vote? 

Also currently there is no mandatory requirement for restitution for fees incurred from incarceration. You are just making some shit up and then applying it to the terms of being incarcerated. If someone has served their time and done so in good standing and wants to integrate back into society and be a productive person... Why should they not have the same rights as every other citizen? 

38 minutes ago, Anler said:

You are taking this is another direction. My comment wasnt one dimensional like you are trying to make it. Why cant people who have paid their debt be allowed to vote? 

34 minutes ago, Anler said:

Also currently there is no mandatory requirement for restitution for fees incurred from incarceration. You are just making some shit up and then applying it to the terms of being incarcerated. If someone has served their time and done so in good standing and wants to integrate back into society and be a productive person... Why should they not have the same rights as every other citizen? 

I'm not saying there is anything "wrong" per say with letting them have their rights back and I'm not saying there is anything "wrong" with not letting them vote or buy guns. 

If a state chooses to let them have those rights so be it.   It should be up to the state as it is now.   I'd prefer something more than just time served to get there but again its up to the state.   

Keep in mind almost 80% of felons reoffend inside of 5 years of release.   Honestly in my opinion repeat offenders shouldn't get those rights back but again its up to the states.

Edited by Highmark

3 hours ago, Anler said:

There is no constitutional protections from stupid people. 75% of the American population has some form of mental illness or deterioration. Crimes have punishments and once those are full filled you should be free to resume your life. Every mistake someone makes does not warrant a life time punishment. 

So should they get back all their rights including the 2nd? 

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'm not saying there is anything "wrong" per say with letting them have their rights back and I'm not saying there is anything "wrong" with not letting them vote or buy guns. 

If a state chooses to let them have those rights so be it.   It should be up to the state as it is now.   I'd prefer something more than just time served to get there but again its up to the state.   

Keep in mind almost 80% of felons reoffend inside of 5 years of release.   Honestly in my opinion repeat offenders shouldn't get those rights back but again its up to the states.

Why do you think that is? Are you going to hire and train a felon? How are they supposed to pay back this money that some are saying they should? We used to try to rehabilitate convicts, now its all about sitting in a box till your time is up. 

48 minutes ago, Anler said:

:news:

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

So should they get back all their rights including the 2nd? 

If they have full filled their punishment and can demonstrate they are no longer a threat then yes. 

50 minutes ago, Anler said:

A prisoner in New Hampshire can spend years locked up without any real way of generating income, only to be forced to foot the bill for their care upon release.

Called the “pay to stay” law, the practice that allows the state to recoup a current or former inmate’s cost of care up to six years after their release is rarely invoked in New Hampshire. A new bill sponsored by state Reps. David Welch and Sandra Keans aims to get rid of the practice altogether.

Welch said it was “unfair” that the state is able to “saddle individuals with debt they are unable to pay off,” when felons already face high barriers to reintegrate into the society.

“There’s all kinds of reasons why it’s going to be difficult to reintegrate yourself into society,” he told the House’s Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee on Thursday. “Seems to me like (the practice) is rubbing salt into the wound.”

The practice jumped into the spotlight recently after Hooksett man Eric Cable sued the state for medical malpractice and the attorney general’s office turned around and charged him for the cost of his care.

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Why do you think that is? Are you going to hire and train a felon? How are they supposed to pay back this money that some are saying they should? We used to try to rehabilitate convicts, now its all about sitting in a box till your time is up. 

work camps when doing tvere time . pay back the money learn a trade win win 

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

A prisoner in New Hampshire can spend years locked up without any real way of generating income, only to be forced to foot the bill for their care upon release.

Called the “pay to stay” law, the practice that allows the state to recoup a current or former inmate’s cost of care up to six years after their release is rarely invoked in New Hampshire. A new bill sponsored by state Reps. David Welch and Sandra Keans aims to get rid of the practice altogether.

Welch said it was “unfair” that the state is able to “saddle individuals with debt they are unable to pay off,” when felons already face high barriers to reintegrate into the society.

“There’s all kinds of reasons why it’s going to be difficult to reintegrate yourself into society,” he told the House’s Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee on Thursday. “Seems to me like (the practice) is rubbing salt into the wound.”

The practice jumped into the spotlight recently after Hooksett man Eric Cable sued the state for medical malpractice and the attorney general’s office turned around and charged him for the cost of his care.

So when you have a convict who is already going to have a hard time finding a good paying job, and now has to pay back his incarceration costs. How is he supposed to support himself and not turn back to crime? Id say we'd be better off trying to keep people out of prison in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

work camps when doing tvere time . pay back the money learn a trade win win 

State sponsored slave labor. Its not a new concept. You are not a problem solver thats for sure. 

4 hours ago, SnowRider said:

:lmao:  Trying to tie the two together is comincal.  A whole lotta people can’t own guns.....psychological, emotional, physical reasons that are exclusive of ones ability to vote.     

both are constitutanal rights  can't pick and chose what ones you want stipulations for . if you want to drop stipulations for 1 you really need to for all rights imho 

7 minutes ago, Anler said:

Wife used to work for a pool company. They hired a dude from a 1/2 way house. Dude was a hard worker, knew his shit and all, But fuck he couldn't make the right decisions about life even if ya put an exposed rat trap over the wrong ones.

1 minute ago, Anler said:

So when you have a convict who is already going to have a hard time finding a good paying job, and now has to pay back his incarceration costs. How is he supposed to support himself and not turn back to crime? Id say we'd be better off trying to keep people out of prison in the first place. 

Not every convict is a broke ass junkie. Law was designed around embezzlers and crooked bankers.

Just now, Anler said:

State sponsored slave labor. Its not a new concept. You are not a problem solver thats for sure. 

no not new but they work  . and you are under zero obligation in any state to participate.