Check your account email address ×

Paris in flames as ‘Yellow Vest’ anarchists burn restaurants and shops and riot police fight back with batons and tear gas

7 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Probably 10-14 days. Still in the planning stages. Half in Sicily, and half around Naples. 

Well so Naples is one of the worst places on the planet.  I have never been to a city so filthy.  There is garbage and trash everywhere.  Families actually live in the city dump.  Literally their homes consist of little makeshift shacks inside the city refuge site.  Occupied highrise buildings so dilapidated you think they are going to fall down.  People living in them.  We went through Naples to get to Pompeii and it was definitely the worst place I have ever visited in my life.  

If you can try to spend 3 days in Rome, at least.  You will have to cram in a lot to even scratch the surface in 3 full days but you have to see Rome.  

From Rome you should try to go to Tuscany.  This is a region in north central Italy.  Florence is the most popular city in Tuscany.  In Florence you need to see Piazza Della Signoria, its a super cool outdoor museum.  You need to see The Duomo.  You need to see the Uffizi Gallery. You need to see the Piazzale Michelangelo.  Incredible masterpieces from the worlds most famous artists are all displayed in Florence.  After Rome this is the second most important city in Italy with regard to art and historical masterpieces.  

If possible you should try to spend a couple of days in Venice.  Venice stinks and huge rats come out every night and clean up all the crumbs left by people but it is a very cool romantic place.  2 days is about all you need to see all of Venice.

After Venice you should consider Milan.  Milan is the fashion capitol of the world.  There are beautiful malls and beautiful people and beautiful cathedrals in Milan.   Food is incredible in Milan. You need to see the Duomo Di Malino.  You need to see the  Galleria Vittorio.  Monza is just a little way north of Milan.  Monza is one of the most famous circuits in the world.  The Italian Grand Prix is in Monza.  From Milan take a quick trip to Lake Como.  An incredible beautiful lake at the border of Italy and Switzerland.  Some of the most beautiful homes in the world are on Lake Como.  

Obviously you need to do whatever it is your family wants to do but if it were me I would go straight to Rome from Sicili with a quick stop in Pompeii on the way.  The southern half of Italy is very run down and trashy.  There is beautiful country and beautiful history to see in Italy but very little of it is south of Rome.  

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Well so Naples is one of the worst places on the planet.  I have never been to a city so filthy.  There is garbage and trash everywhere.  Families actually live in the city dump.  Literally their homes consist of little makeshift shacks inside the city refuge site.  Occupied highrise buildings so dilapidated you think they are going to fall down.  People living in them.  We went through Naples to get to Pompeii and it was definitely the worst place I have ever visited in my life.  

If you can try to spend 3 days in Rome, at least.  You will have to cram in a lot to even scratch the surface in 3 full days but you have to see Rome.  

From Rome you should try to go to Tuscany.  This is a region in north central Italy.  Florence is the most popular city in Tuscany.  In Florence you need to see Piazza Della Signoria, its a super cool outdoor museum.  You need to see The Duomo.  You need to see the Uffizi Gallery. You need to see the Piazzale Michelangelo.  Incredible masterpieces from the worlds most famous artists are all displayed in Florence.  After Rome this is the second most important city in Italy with regard to art and historical masterpieces.  

If possible you should try to spend a couple of days in Venice.  Venice stinks and huge rats come out every night and clean up all the crumbs left by people but it is a very cool romantic place.  2 days is about all you need to see all of Venice.

After Venice you should consider Milan.  Milan is the fashion capitol of the world.  There are beautiful malls and beautiful people and beautiful cathedrals in Milan.   Food is incredible in Milan. You need to see the Duomo Di Malino.  You need to see the  Galleria Vittorio.  Monza is just a little way north of Milan.  Monza is one of the most famous circuits in the world.  The Italian Grand Prix is in Monza.  From Milan take a quick trip to Lake Como.  An incredible beautiful lake at the border of Italy and Switzerland.  Some of the most beautiful homes in the world are on Lake Como.  

Obviously you need to do whatever it is your family wants to do but if it were me I would go straight to Rome from Sicili with a quick stop in Pompeii on the way.  The southern half of Italy is very run down and trashy.  There is beautiful country and beautiful history to see in Italy but very little of it is south of Rome.  

Pizza niggers. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Pizza niggers. :lol:

Hahaha.  Yep.  Speaking of......  The food in Italy was fair at best.  On par with the rest of central Europe but nothing special at all.  We were in Italy for 22 days.  After trying almost every local dish for the first two weeks we settled in to Margherita pizza as about the only consistent food in the country.  I had some very good stuffed pasta but it was inconsistent.  One place was fantastic and the next fair at best.  

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Hahaha.  Yep.  Speaking of......  The food in Italy was fair at best.  On par with the rest of central Europe but nothing special at all.  We were in Italy for 22 days.  After trying almost every local dish for the first two weeks we settled in to Margherita pizza as about the only consistent food in the country.  I had some very good stuffed pasta but it was inconsistent.  One place was fantastic and the next fair at best.  

Really? You would think it would be fantastic there. Lazy pizza niggers. 

Just now, Anler said:

Really? You would think it would be fantastic there. Lazy pizza niggers. 

It's good but you can get great Italian food in Chicago, New York, San Fran or just about any decent sized city in the US.  The food in Italy was Ok but not like over the top fantastic.   It was definitely a let down.  

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

It's good but you can get great Italian food in Chicago, New York, San Fran or just about any decent sized city in the US.  The food in Italy was Ok but not like over the top fantastic.   It was definitely a let down.  

My wife lived in Italy for 2 years, she mentioned many of the same places you did. Didn’t plan on going into Naples, just wanted to see my Dad’s town (Casa Lattico) which is near Naples. 

My family (cousins) have a place in Sicily on the sea. I plan on hanging around there a few days as well as checking out my moms town that she grew up in. 

I have no interest in Venice or Rome or any of the other tourist spots at all. But as I said I’m sure the others will.

18 minutes ago, Edmo said:

My wife lived in Italy for 2 years, she mentioned many of the same places you did. Didn’t plan on going into Naples, just wanted to see my Dad’s town (Casa Lattico) which is near Naples. 

My family (cousins) have a place in Sicily on the sea. I plan on hanging around there a few days as well as checking out my moms town that she grew up in. 

I have no interest in Venice or Rome or any of the other tourist spots at all. But as I said I’m sure the others will.

Don't be turned away by the "tourist" spots.  Rome is incredible with or without tourists.  If you can only go to one place in all of Italy it has to be Rome.  You have to see the Colosseum.  There is just no getting around how incredible this place is.  You have to see The Vatican and see the Sistine Chapel.  You need to see St Peters Basilica and St Peters Square in the Vatican.  You have to see the Trevi Fountain.  You have to see the Forum.  You have to see the Pantheon.  You have to see the Spanish Steps and the Piazza Navona.  

Florence is a mist do city.  Milan is so bad ass.  But there is no place in all of Italy that compares to the cultural history of Rome.  

37 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yeah there is great Italian food in Chicago but you always kinda think that italy would be something above. Strange that it is not. 

Just now, Anler said:

Yeah there is great Italian food in Chicago but you always kinda think that italy would be something above. Strange that it is not. 

My brother in law is from Sicily, came to the US with his parents at about 5 years old.  Lives in Elk Grove Village.  He takes us to a different Italian food places every time we are in Chicago.  They are always fantastic.  

I was a tourist in Italy.  I did not have a local taking us to the best restaurants in Italy.  I asked around and used google to find the best rated restaurants in each city we visited.  It was hit and miss.   I am sure if I had a local take me to the best restaurants in each town I visited my opinion may be different.  

Being on your own and using reviews is probably not the best way to find the best restaurants in Italy.  

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

My brother in law is from Sicily, came to the US with his parents at about 5 years old.  Lives in Elk Grove Village.  He takes us to a different Italian food places every time we are in Chicago.  They are always fantastic.  

I was a tourist in Italy.  I did not have a local taking us to the best restaurants in Italy.  I asked around and used google to find the best rated restaurants in each city we visited.  It was hit and miss.   I am sure if I had a local take me to the best restaurants in each town I visited my opinion may be different.  

Being on your own and using reviews is probably not the best way to find the best restaurants in Italy.  

We will only be there a short time. Wife said Italy is something we will do without kids later so we will just make the most of it this time. As always thanks for your input, tom. :bc:

My BIL is also from Italy. He came here with my sister for a conference last year and had the time of his life. By the time he left he knew all the restaurant guys near the hotel and was treated like a king. Lot of waps here in chitown.

• Like 1

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

That deep dish crap is all Shitcago.

Yes Chicago is known for deep dish. But real Chicago pizza is super thin crispy crust. There is a million pizza joints around here and everyone has their personal favorite. But good thing is there are lots of good ones.

Deep dish is kind of a specialty and not every place does it. Its a once in a while thing for us. You can only eat a piece or two as it's mostly cheese. 

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

My BIL is also from Italy. He came here with my sister for a conference last year and had the time of his life. By the time he left he knew all the restaurant guys near the hotel and was treated like a king. Lot of waps here in chitown.

Chicago has great italian food.  Me, Anler, Vinny, Bussmellon and all of our wives met at a decent place on the west side of Chicago a few years back.  It was good.  We had a great time. 

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

Yes Chicago is known for deep dish. But real Chicago pizza is super thin crispy crust. There is a million pizza joints around here and everyone has their personal favorite. But good thing is there are lots of good ones.

Deep dish is kind of a specialty and not every place does it. Its a once in a while thing for us. You can only eat a piece or two as it's mostly cheese. 

Yep.  The places my BIL Sam takes us too have crispy pizza.  Love it.  

6 minutes ago, Edmo said:

WOPs.  Hahahaha  :bc: 

Yep.  The places my BIL Sam takes us too have crispy pizza.  Love it.  

I have a couple places that are hard core Italian. Can't beat it. I have a funny story about one of them but I have to tell it in person to get the full effect. Classic wop reaction tho. :lol:

7 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Me neither. Sauce goes under the cheese. 

I like Detroit style pan pizza the best.

Deep dish is kind of a touristy thing. I couldn't tell you the last time I had some. It's good once in a while. 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

I have a couple places that are hard core Italian. Can't beat it. I have a funny story about one of them but I have to tell it in person to get the full effect. Classic wop reaction tho. :lol:

Tell us the story , Bluto

5 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Man, if I could...

Bull Shit.  You couldn't even be bothered to show up to the Antifa Rally in East Lancing last year.  It's like a 2 hour fucking drive.   You're all talk and no fucking action.  :wtf: 

• Thanks 1