Check your account email address ×

Birth defect numbers in children of Vietnam veterans alarm experts

Orlando, Fla. (WFLA) - Rates of cancer, learning disabilities and physical birth defects in the children of Vietnam veterans are staggering when compared to those in children of non-veterans.

Birth Defect Research for Children's latest research shows mounting evidence that these children, now in their 30S, 40s and 50s exhibit health problems across the board.

"It's so compelling to look at the data, I mean every time I look at it, I go wow!" said Betty Mekdeci, Executive Director of Birth Defect Research for Children.

photo
(Image credit: Birth Defects Research for Children, Inc.) 

More than 2.5 million Americans served in South Vietnam during the war. Each one was presumably exposed to a harmful herbicide called Agent Orange, which is known to cause cancers, leukemia, heart disease and more.

Ms. Mekdeci is alarmed by what she sees in children of Vietnam Veterans.

"The proof is mounting every day. Because you don't like it, that doesn't make it go away," she said.

Her research reveals birth defects showing up at a higher rate in children of Vietnam veterans than non-veterans.

Leukemia, thyroid cancer, along with ovarian cysts are showing up at 10 times and higher than the rate of children of non-veterans. 

"We're also starting to see auto-immune problems, childhood cancers, increases in allergic conditions," she said.

Learning disabilities numbers are eye-popping.

"We have an avalanche of children with the main thing are these neurodevelopmental problems," Ms. Mekdeci added.

Dyslexia, attention deficit disorders and depression rates are all much higher than those in children of non-veterans.

"We have had a lot of indication that the mothers may be having some effect from the fathers being exposed, mental disorders, female cancer, things like that," Ms. Mekdeci explained.  "We know that there are chemicals that are found in seminal fluid, this is not new stuff."

Agent Orange ravaged Navy veteran Lonnie Kilpatrick's heart.  He was exposed on Guam.

"I've had heart issues my whole life," Lonnie's daughter Keri Ackerson said.

Keri and her daughter Emma suffer from brain malformations tied to Agent Orange.

By age 9, Emma had to have brain surgery.

"You've got lots of the veterans dying but the children and the grandchildren are going on and we're talking about thousands and thousands," Ms. Mekdeci stated. 

Following my report last year raising questions about passing on the poison to grandchildren, Birth Defect Research for Children began more research.

The findings are preliminary, but concerning.

"It's very concerning, it's very much like what we're seeing with the children," Ms. Mekdeci added. "You can't afford to ignore this because you don't like what we're finding, you can't afford to say, it's going to go away if you just look the other way." 

If you know of something that should be investigated call our 8 On Your Side Helpline at 1-800-338-0808 or contact Steve Andrews at sandrews@wfla.com.  

• Platinum Contributing Member

18 year olds drafted (except for the privileged that escaped the draft) and drug halfway around the globe to wage war against people fighting for their own country and we wonder why it went so badly...this country is fucked and never learns. 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

18 year olds drafted (except for the privileged that escaped the draft) and drug halfway around the globe to wage war against people fighting for their own country and we wonder why it went so badly...this country is fucked and never learns. 

Gotta give Trumps Daddy credit for saving him from that.  Wouldn't want Ivanka to have any birth defects.  She's a fine piece of ass. Just ask her Donald.

2 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Gotta give Trumps Daddy credit for saving him from that.  Wouldn't want Ivanka to have any birth defects.  She's a fine piece of ass. Just ask her Donald.

Clinton, Trump, Cheney.....let's be fair and balanced here you fucking dipshit.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Clinton, Trump, Cheney.....let's be fair and balanced here you fucking dipshit.

But to be fair, Neither Clinton or Cheney's daughters are as hot.  

I also forgot that Bush Senior kept W stateside during the war. His daughters weren't bad either. 

But they couldn't be as hot as Ivanka because W never talked about dating his own daughter. 

52 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

But to be fair, Neither Clinton or Cheney's daughters are as hot.  

I also forgot that Bush Senior kept W stateside during the war. His daughters weren't bad either. 

But they couldn't be as hot as Ivanka because W never talked about dating his own daughter. 

You sure seem obsessed with daughter dating ya’ short eyed freak.

I really dont know why my fathers generation isnt more outraged over this. 2.5 million of them? I know several vets who have suffered and continue to suffer the effects of agent orange. And I have a few friends now who suffer from gulf war syndrome and get a big brush off from the VA. Youre a good American as long as you are able to fight but once you are of no use you may as well crawl off and die. And for what? What has all of this war brought us? More freedom? Nope we have less. More prosperity? perhaps but that was bought with debt. Trump wants more money for the military. And what is the military doing with that money? Fighting against threats to our country? Nope. 

Millions dead or wounded. Destabilization of the entire middle east and elsewhere. Refugee crisis. Famine, disease and human trafficking. Is this what the greatest country on earth has to offer its fellow man? 

Edited by Anler
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Maybe the draft dodgers got it right. Fight a useless war and leave with parting gifts that keep on giving. :flush: 

Why do you think we havent had a draft since? Now its private military contractors and they get paid $$$$. If there was a draft you better believe that folks would be alot more critical of these overseas endeavors when their little Johnny and Suzie are called up. But they dont seem to have a problem paying for them, even at the expense of their own security. 

I can't say I've seen first hand examples of Vet children my age (40's) being impacted as the data would suggest.  But I certainly think the Vets themselves were impacted.  My father died at 56, diagnosed at 51 with Multiple Myeloma and he believed it was directly related to the chemicals he handled and was exposed to at his airbase in Okinawa during the war.  I believe only 1 or 2 of his service friends are still alive today and are only 70 or 71 now.  That war's servicemen certainly have and are getting the shaft. 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Damn...those poor humps got fucked dry by the government and now their kids...for what? 

What do you mean FOR WHAT!!!!! For America, that's what!!!

For our powerful president Lyndon BAINES Johnson. Did you ever see Johnson, how he would pressure and overwhelm people???

We had to fight for LADY BIRD, and his two daughters. 

Many guys wanted to go to the army, to fight those GOOKS. Be a PATRIOTIC AMERICAN!!!!

People didn't like it if you didn't go to war. Yes, there were some protestors but, many people expected you to go. 

FUCK THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!