Check your account email address ×

Soak the rich? Americans say go for it

Surveys are showing overwhelming support for raising taxes on top earners, including a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll released Monday that found 76 percent of registered voters believe the wealthiest Americans should pay more in taxes. A recent Fox News survey showed that 70 percent of Americans favor raising taxes on those earning over $10 million — including 54 percent of Republicans.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/04/democrats-taxes-economy-policy-2020-1144874

42 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Oh look another useless post.  I'm good with increasing taxes as long as it doesn't increase mine.  70% is moronic.

29 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Hell I even support tax increases on those in my bracket , above and below. Just not me.

It makes more sense than supporting a 3.3% tax cut on the richest people and 1.6% on the middle class.

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The idea of trickle down has been dispelled. Ever since the concept came to be the middle has taken a beating. Time to get back to the 90% tax brackets. 

90% is fucking stupid even though that was when "Merca was great"

But there has to be something in between what is happening now and that.

Funny thing is if you boosted taxes on the upper incomes,  reduced taxes on the middle class and lower, the lower classes would spend it all, it would boost the economy and the upper classes would benefit more. A rising tide floats all boats but the largest boat benefits the most from deep water. 

5 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

90% is fucking stupid even though that was when "Merca was great"

But there has to be something in between what is happening now and that.

Funny thing is if you boosted taxes on the upper incomes,  reduced taxes on the middle class and lower, the lower classes would spend it all, it would boost the economy and the upper classes would benefit more. A rising tide floats all boats but the largest boat benefits the most from deep water. 

It’s not stupid at all. It worked then and it’ll work now. 

12 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It’s not stupid at all. It worked then and it’ll work now. 

Would you continue to take risks or innovate if you could only keep 10% of your take?

In Canada the top rate is suppose to be 54%. Morneau has floated some 70% ideas for certain income which is also insane. 

Remember there are still sales taxes, property taxes, fuel taxes etc. 

As I said before there is a huge difference between the status quo where Warren Buffet pays a lower tax rate than his secretary. 

2 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Would you continue to take risks or innovate if you could only keep 10% of your take?

In Canada the top rate is suppose to be 54%. Morneau has floated some 70% ideas for certain income which is also insane. 

As I said before there is a huge difference between the status quo where Warren Buffet pays a lower tax rate than his secretary. 

He takes no risks, he works for government.

34 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Those that take risks or innovate were around 100 years ago and are still around today. They’ll bitch and moan about the taxes, but in the end they’ll pay em and continue to innovate and create because it’s in their DNA. I have no soft spot for the wealthy in the same way I have no sympathy for the poor. 

7 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Those that take risks or innovate were around 100 years ago and are still around today. They’ll bitch and moan about the taxes, but in the end they’ll pay em and continue to innovate and create because it’s in their DNA. I have no soft spot for the wealthy in the same way I have no sympathy for the poor. 

You keep sponging off of others, that you do very well.  Otherwise you have no clue.

8 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Surveys are showing overwhelming support for raising taxes on top earners, including a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll released Monday that found 76 percent of registered voters believe the wealthiest Americans should pay more in taxes. A recent Fox News survey showed that 70 percent of Americans favor raising taxes on those earning over $10 million — including 54 percent of Republicans.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/04/democrats-taxes-economy-policy-2020-1144874

Funny how 70%!of Americans polled agree with raising taxes on the rich and the people on here argue against it.  

I thought they liked democracy.