Check your account email address ×

Snow Tires for Daughters Lexus

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

OK one more...235/60/18 as opposed to OEM 235/55/18 but should not be a problem....I think.

https://nmi.craigslist.org/wto/d/hankook-winter-piker18-107t/6743689845.html

Just go buy all three sets that you've posted. Selling the two that you don't want will get you in shape for buying and selling sleds this winter.

• Haha 2

Be careful when buying used tires for an awd vehicle. If there is too much of a difference in size due to wear, your going to have a bad time lol. Check out Costco. Up here in nookland Costco is the best place for tires. 

Also if you found some rims for cheap used and put good tires on those it will save money as long as your daughter isn't like you and sells it before she can swap the tires back lmao

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Be careful when buying used tires for an awd vehicle. If there is too much of a difference in size due to wear, your going to have a bad time lol. Check out Costco. Up here in nookland Costco is the best place for tires. 

Also if you found some rims for cheap used and put good tires on those it will save money as long as your daughter isn't like you and sells it before she can swap the tires back lmao

I've been looking for wheels as well because ultimately it would be the simplest solution but not finding any used sets and no this car is going to last for awhile.😂

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I've been looking for wheels as well because ultimately it would be the simplest solution but not finding any used sets and no this car is going to last for awhile.😂

Like March? Lol.

What year and model is the Rx?

Edited by Tomas.

My parents just got blizzaks for their Durango and I found a sweet deal on some studded Hakkapelittas last spring for my Silverado. Can’t wait to try them both out soon. :bc:  I only used snow tires once before...general altimax arctics on a car...they were nice.

Edited by rump-rider
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, frenchy said:

I have duratracs and they don’t come close to a true winter tire. 

Well, they aren't a "winter tire" so...that explains that.  I don't run a winter tire on my trucks.  I use to put them on my wife and daughters car.

1 hour ago, Tomas. said:

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned already, if buying used winter tires, you may not be getting what you think you are.  It's a softer compound but the effective grip that comes from that wears off relatively quickly and leaves what is essentially just an all season tire.  My guy told me that once it hits 20% wear...it's all season now.  That's why so many people sell them after a season.  Sure...they seem cheap but, it's the old saying...again.

I went to a goodyear all season for my wife and was curious as to what she thought of a difference.  Two winters now and ZERO difference noted.  *note:  she's blonde so...I'm just happy if she doesn't drive around with the fucking parking break on!

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Well, they aren't a "winter tire" so...that explains that.  I don't run a winter tire on my trucks.  I use to put them on my wife and daughters car.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned already, if buying used winter tires, you may not be getting what you think you are.  It's a softer compound but the effective grip that comes from that wears off relatively quickly and leaves what is essentially just an all season tire.  My guy told me that once it hits 20% wear...it's all season now.  That's why so many people sell them after a season.  Sure...they seem cheap but, it's the old saying...again.

I went to a goodyear all season for my wife and was curious as to what she thought of a difference.  Two winters now and ZERO difference noted.  *note:  she's blonde so...I'm just happy if she doesn't drive around with the fucking parking break on!

As the softer compound wears, the tire loses its advantage on ice. It continues to keep its advantage on loose snow and hardpack. The advantages of even well used snows on a vehicle over all season tires is very noticeable. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

As the softer compound wears, the tire loses its advantage on ice. It continues to keep its advantage on loose snow and hardpack. The advantages of even well used snows on a vehicle over all season tires is very noticeable. 

Yeah.  It's the "Diet coke vs. Diet Pepsi" debate.  I don't drive either of their vehicles so, I gotta go with what they say..and the advice I was given (Just get a good all season).

3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

def want wheels tires didn't get swapped on the jeep and he ended up in the ditch and took out a fence.  now he's got 31x10.5's on aftermarket steelies and a set of narrower shorter snows on the OEM wheels.  

19 hours ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Jim had one of those death traps . I remember one day we found ourselves going backwards at over 50 mph . Screw those things :lol:   :bc:

19 hours ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

i put winterforces on the sons jeep they work well on one of the worst vehicles i've ever driven in the snow

@Angry ginger What kind of Jeep? I love my wrangler in the snow, talk about "flickable"! Standard transmission to hold the gear, no traction control, short wheelbase, 4x4, I can drive the thing sideways for miles, lots of fun! :ashamed:

Edited by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

1 hour ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

@Angry ginger What kind of Jeep? I love my wrangler in the snow, talk about "flickable"! Standard transmission to hold the gear, no traction control, short wheelbase, 4x4, I can drive the thing sideways for miles, lots of fun! :ashamed:

tj wrangler,  the short wheelbase makes it especially poor in the snow with a newer driver.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

tj wrangler,  the short wheelbase makes it especially poor in the snow with a newer driver.  

Same here. Great vehicle.

I can see it getting away from an inexperienced driver tho. Once you get the feel for it, it's a great snow vehicle. IMO .