Check your account email address ×

mouse in the house

ckf

The damn mice are terrible this year for some reason. I put a 5 gallon pail with water and birdseed out in the garage and have caught 11 in the past 2 days. I got frustrated trying to set the old style mouse traps and picked up some of these on Amazon. They are easy to set and seem to work OK. Only caught two so far in the house. I'm not sure where they are getting in but from what I've read if a pencil will fit in a hole a mouse can get through.

61PJm0mBSeL._SL1000_.jpg

4 minutes ago, T1R9sledder said:

Thanks for the reminder, I've got to pick up some traps for the camp.

I hate the old style. I'd get it all set, go to put it in place, and the fucking thing would go off. Never had to worry about mice when we had a cat, it was the damn chipmunks. I have no idea why they think they had to showoff their catch. One morning I had the pleasure on stepping on one barefoot. That's a great way to start your day, LOL.

17 minutes ago, ckf said:

I hate the old style. I'd get it all set, go to put it in place, and the fucking thing would go off. Never had to worry about mice when we had a cat, it was the damn chipmunks. I have no idea why they think they had to showoff their catch. One morning I had the pleasure on stepping on one barefoot. That's a great way to start your day, LOL.

I use sticky traps. We've got some chipmunks that did a number on our raised garden. 

51 minutes ago, ckf said:

The damn mice are terrible this year for some reason. I put a 5 gallon pail with water and birdseed out in the garage and have caught 11 in the past 2 days. I got frustrated trying to set the old style mouse traps and picked up some of these on Amazon. They are easy to set and seem to work OK. Only caught two so far in the house. I'm not sure where they are getting in but from what I've read if a pencil will fit in a hole a mouse can get through.

61PJm0mBSeL._SL1000_.jpg

Ckf if you think you see a small hole where they might be gettin sprinkle a little flour there and check for tracks. I found holes I never thought a mouse could get through with the flour trick.

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Ckf if you think you see a small hole where they might be gettin sprinkle a little flour there and check for tracks. I found holes I never thought a mouse could get through with the flour trick.

Great tip! Thanks MC :bc:

38 minutes ago, smokin george said:

A suicide pail works the best in a garage. A few inches of RV antifreeze and no smell. Get the dead fkrs out with a pair of tongs and good to go. 

It works great but you end up with a pail full of mice. You need to spend time finding where they get in.

41 minutes ago, smokin george said:

A suicide pail works the best in a garage. A few inches of RV antifreeze and no smell. Get the dead fkrs out with a pair of tongs and good to go. 

That's what I have except they drown in the water under the birdseed :thumb:

25 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

Kraft cheese slices. Mice love them

This works too.

CH007.png

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It works great but you end up with a pail full of mice. You need to spend time finding where they get in.

I'm not even going to try sealing up the garage. The pail works fine for that.

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, ckf said:

That's what I have except they drown in the water under the birdseed :thumb:

This works too.

CH007.png

I'm not even going to try sealing up the garage. The pail works fine for that.

I love that cheese...inexpensive as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I love that cheese...inexpensive as well. 

Have you tried any of their Legacy cheeses?  They remind me of that old wheel cheese that was available at every general store.  Fall is here, it's apple pie and cheddar cheese time :thumb:

Cabot_Bar_LegacyFarmhouse_6oz_FrontAngle

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, ckf said:

I read somewhere thats cats aren't displaying their catch its that they think your incapable of catching tour own food amd are leaving you some.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ckf said:

Have you tried any of their Legacy cheeses?  They remind me of that old wheel cheese that was available at every general store.  Fall is here, it's apple pie and cheddar cheese time :thumb:

Caleb’s country store in Barrington has a huge why cheese wheel called rat trap cheese. It’s invredible.

Just now, Mainecat said:

Caleb’s country store in Barrington has a huge why cheese wheel called rat trap cheese. It’s invredible.

We used to stop by there when we were in the area. There are a few places around here that still have the cheese wheels.

3 hours ago, T1R9sledder said:

I use sticky traps. We've got some chipmunks that did a number on our raised garden. 

3 hours ago, ckf said:

I've never tried sticky traps. Are they a one and done type trap?

3 hours ago, T1R9sledder said:

Yup

They do work.   Stick a little dab of peanut butter in the center if you don't got pets that will get into it.  

52 minutes ago, ckf said:

Been gnawing on this one. Made for some really good mac n cheese this week.

81mDftabDTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, T1R9sledder said:

That's what we do and caught plenty of mice.

They are cruel but they work.   Ever come up on them when the mice are barely alive?

11 minutes ago, T1R9sledder said:

No but I have caught them when there. They don't suffer then, their end is quick.

I put them out of their misery immediately but damn that's got to be one hell of a shitty way to die.  :lol:  

I have old, wood garage and barn. I trap and poison 24/7, 365. 

Worst thing is if they die, and start to smell, or the maggots are on them.

I go through hundreds of latex gloves from HD, to pick them up. Sometimes I bury them, sometimes I throw them in the trash...............they stink something horrible, I have to double-bag them if I put them in the trash. 

I have every kind of trap, even that SPINNING ROD style. 

I use PEANUT BUTTER  for the mice. I also use black oil sunflower seeds for the chipmunks and squirrels. 

It's NEVER-ENDING. A mouse can get through a hole the size of a DIME. That's what I have read. 

Whatever you do, DON'T use poison in your house! If they die where you can't get them, your house will smell for 6-8 weeks something horrible. 

The SECRET to trapping mice, is to have NUMEROUS traps, with fresh peanut butter on them. Don't depend on just one trap per area.