Check your account email address ×

KAVANAUGH CONFIRMATION ‘I could be convinced’: Trump sends mixed message on Kavanaugh charges

Hedging his bet.

KAVANAUGH CONFIRMATION  ‘I could be convinced’: Trump sends mixed message on Kavanaugh charges

By ANNIE KARNI

Updated 09/26/2018 07:47 PM EDT

In a sprawling press conference, the president told reporters he would watch a high-stakes Senate hearing with an open mind — but also that 'evil' people are behind many public charges of sexual misconduct.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

In a Monday night television interview, Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh seemed confident that President Donald Trump had his back.

“I know he’s going to stand by me,” Kavanaugh told a Fox News interviewer. “He called me this afternoon and he said he’s standing by me."

But in an upbeat, sprawling Wednesday news conference, Trump — who taunted and flattered reporters and seemed to be enjoying his own spectacle — left himself an escape hatch. Instead of delivering an unequivocal defense of his embattled court pick, he at once seemed to support and undermine his no-longer-out-of-central-casting nominee.

“They’re going to have a big shot at speaking and making their case,” he said of the women accusers, although only one of them is scheduled to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday.

Saying that he intends to watch tomorrow’s hearing, he added: “I could be persuaded, also” about the accusations. Trump said he would withhold any final decision until he had watched the testimony of Christine Blasey Ford, a woman who has accused Kavanaugh of assault when they were both teenagers.

“I could be convinced of anything,” Trump added.

It was a disquieting hour for Kavanaugh’s team and Republicans, who see Kavanaugh as their final shot at getting a Supreme Court Justice confirmed ahead of the midterm elections. One person in Kavanaugh’s inner circle said that he was not tuning in and was not sure if Kavanaugh, himself was watching — even as Trump broached the possibility of choosing a “replacement.”

Trump's oddest defense — evoking George Washington and wondering out loud "didn't he have some bad things in his past?" -- seemed like cold comfort.

At the same time, Trump made abundantly clear that he treats charges of sexual misconduct against rich and powerful men like himself with deep skepticism, invoking his own experience with such charges to call them malicious.

“I’ve been a famous person for a long time,” he said. “I’ve had a lot of false charges made against me…. People want fame, they want money, when I see it, I view it differently.”

At one point, Trump even said that “evil” people lurk behind many such charges, and indicated that even a substitute nominee could face unfounded or unprovable allegations.

“I could pick a woman and she could have charges made from many years ago,” Trump said.

It was a typical Trumpian move, leaving his final position unclear — a frustrating exercise for Team Kavanaugh and Senate Republicans akin to nailing Jell-O to a wall.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/26/trump-kavanaugh-allegations-confirmation-845182

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

thats a massive fucking backpedal ......Ivanka is way smarter than her old man 

Here is one for @Highmark to sink his teeth into :lol:

Trump's oddest defense — evoking George Washington and wondering out loud "didn't he have some bad things in his past?" -- seemed like cold comfort.

1 minute ago, Rod Johnson said:

What kavinaugh charges? :dunno:

He's charged with being a fucking piece of shit........which in an examination of his character as required by his nomination for a lifetime appointment precludes him from confirmation

Now fucking kill yourself you retarded brain dead cum sponge moron

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

He's charged with being a fucking piece of shit........which in an examination of his character as required by his nomination for a lifetime appointment precludes him from confirmation

Link?

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Link?

• Platinum Contributing Member
31 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Here is one for @Highmark to sink his teeth into :lol:

Answer the question Vince what are u afraid of?

Edited by Highmark