Check your account email address ×

Illinois submits Obamacare insurance premium increases to feds.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Start with HC...in any form.  That should have never been a "right of employment".  Then look at the Dodd-Frank regs seriously.  Those are absolutely ridiculously complicated and hard for small-mid size companies to keep in compliance.  OSHA and WC compliance is way overloaded and WC rates have gotten ridiculous for the majority of 30-100 person groups with minimal risk codes.  What constitutes a FT or PT or Contractor/freelancer should be revisited also.  

Just a few.....

well during ww2 there were not enought workers and everybody was offering more money to get them..then the fed said freeze the wages ..then the employers started paying for hc and what not to get workers..least i was told that..never looked it up.

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Well just think when airline baggage handlers strike......  Pilots and stewardess have a sickout....  Guess what they get their health insurance premium increase and you get airplanes with less leg room due to the increase in the number of seats they put on a plane while charging you more.  

certain sectors are pretty strong on union membership....  Long shoreman for example....  Few years ago around xmas time had people worried as there amazon and walmart trinkets werent getting offloaded.  They got what they wanted or close to it in there contract.

Again...I agree.  But there is only so much margin in the economic math.  Holding consumers "hostage" for services for higher pay can be disastrous in the short term for consumers and the longer term for both consumers and business. Like, your example...how has that affected air flights?  A lot less flights than there used to be.  And now, it's sardine city packed to the brim when they do take off.  Now longshoreman is a really nice example of it working on the upswing.  We are now importing more than we ever have before.  Well, because we sent a lot of our manus overseas to be shipped back here and offloaded by....you guessed it.  So that is a trade that is on the high and tight with wage and benny increases.  And a lot more hires and work for those boys to come too.

14 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

well during ww2 there were not enought workers and everybody was offering more money to get them..then the fed said freeze the wages ..then the employers started paying for hc and what not to get workers..least i was told that..never looked it up.

Yes, it was started as a way to keep and attract better employees.  Now it is a "right" or "expected" from the EE's.  It's kinda like "TIPS" at the local greasy spoon (or other).  "TO INSURE PROMPTNESS"  it was a token money paid ahead of time to do exactly that.  Now..look at the process.  Wages went down because "tips" were expected.  And when was the last time you didn't tip at least something even after getting shitty service, poor food, and an overall bad experience.  RIght.  I know...its a stretch correlation but you get my point.  Things morph into what they were never expected to be and become the commonplace.

Edited by Zambroski

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Yes, it was started as a way to keep and attract better employees.  Now it is a "right" or "expected" from the EE's.  It's kinda like "TIPS" at the local greasy spoon (or other).  "TO INSURE PROMPTNESS"  it was a token money paid ahead of time to do exactly that.  Now..look at the process.  Wages went down because "tips" were expected.  And when was the last time you didn't tip at least something even after getting shitty service, poor food, and an overall bad experience".  RIght.  I know...its a stretch correlation but you get my point.  Things morph into what they were never expected to be and become the commonplace.

yeah

Just now, Capt.Storm said:

what to do:dunno:

Keep companies here with less regs.  Bring some back with incentives (gonna be tough).  Let the market grow on it's own and regulate as needed in a laissez-faire free market capitalism.  Keep labor laws in place but allow choice ("Right to Work").  Stop with the pandering and holding over of government contracts...let the best bidder win...period without grotesque and overt guidelines.....often hidden after the fact.  

In short....the government needs to get their big fucking noses out of the private sector to meet their own ends (and means of the current regime) and just maintain light regulating.  No chance this is gonna happen under the current Dem "regimes".  NONE AT ALL.

3 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

i don't know man..i guess if we are going to be a compassionate nation we have to adopt Canada's system?

Yes on their healthcare system.  GB's is better.  But neither will probably happen for us.  GB is about to have a breakout private sector growth pattern too.  Canada's isn't perfect, but it is extremely stable due to less regs and constant badgering by their government.  And of course, they have a much better "bead" on controlling their immigrant population.  They don't have a side that needs the votes so desperately..

Edited by Zambroski

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Yes on their healthcare system.  GB's is better.  But neither will probably happen for us.  GB is about to have a breakout private sector growth pattern too.  Canada's isn't perfect, but it is extremely stable due to less regs and constant badgering by their government.  And of course, they have a much better "bead" on controlling their immigrant population.  They don't have a side that needs the votes so desperately..

yeah..i can be in Canada in like 45 mins..could be a retirement spot..gotta look into it..not sure they would have me but i'm not a felon..but they got bitchy about a damn dwi way back when.

What is the percentage of GDP spent on healthcare?
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the United States spent more on health care per capita ($8,608), and more on health care as percentage of its GDP (17.2%), than any other nation in 2011.

How much money is spent on healthcare in Canada?
October 30, 2012—Total health care spending in Canada is expected to reach $207 billion in 2012, averaging $5,948 per person. Figures in National Health Expenditure Trends, 1975 to 2012, released today by the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI), show that the pace of growth is slowing.
Edited by Capt.Storm

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 hours ago, Anler said:

Or they start passing on the costs to the employees. Or they cut coverage. Or raise deductibles. Any way you wanna look at it, it's coming. Obamacare or not. You can dissolve Obamacare tomorrow and it doesn't lower premiums for good coverage. 

Competition.   Let insurance providers compete across the country, not just in one state.

The more things that can be treated the more the overall cost of care goes up.   30 years ago nobody was getting joints replaced.   Now probably millions are being done.   The public must understand the more care we get the more it will cost and in our system whether anyone see's it or not its spread around to everyone.   Its why an aspirin in the hospital costs so much.   Cost "sharing" of care is not just done on those with no insurance or ability to pay.

Edited by Highmark

12 hours ago, Cold War said:

GM should of been a wake up call for everyone.

It was, it proved that upper management will get away with anything they want, while the regular taxpayer gets screwed, as long as you can prove that your "TO BIG TO FAIL"

What a crock of shit that was.  More people need to ask why the cost of GM vehicles keep going up if the cost of labor has gone down?  We all know, the cost of labor was the reason for gm going bankrupt according to the GM execs.

12 hours ago, Capt.Storm said:

Great post that many just won't understand

12 hours ago, Capt.Storm said:

Not exactly true.

https://www.zanebenefits.com/blog/part-1-the-history-of-u.s.-employer-provided-health-insurance-post-world-war-ii

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The employer-provided health insurance industry that exists today is largely the unintended result of a temporary tax break from the early 1940s. This tax break became the basis for U.S. healthcare.

It was never a "right" like the left wants people to believe.  It was an incentive.

Edited by racer254

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

yeah..the tax cut is something i should have thought about and should have mentioned..because i knew about it..but I would have ended up with a z post then!:lol:

Still beenies were a way around wage freezes right?

Good find btw.

Edited by Capt.Storm

2 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

yeah..the tax cut is something i should have thought about and should have mentioned..because i knew about it..but I would have ended up with a z post then!:lol:

Still beenies were a way around wage freezes right?

Kind of but the wage freezes were also put in place to keep inflation in check as much as to do with lack of workforce.   I suppose they go hand in hand.   Supply and Demand so to speak.    

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Kind of but the wage freezes were also put in place to keep inflation in check as much as to do with lack of workforce.   I suppose they go hand in hand.   Supply and Demand so to speak.    

yeah.. i concur.

The feds were worried about inflation and the workers were trying to capitalize off the supply/demand situation and I can't blame them for that.

17 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Start with HC...in any form.  That should have never been a "right of employment".  Then look at the Dodd-Frank regs seriously.  Those are absolutely ridiculously complicated and hard for small-mid size companies to keep in compliance.  OSHA and WC compliance is way overloaded and WC rates have gotten ridiculous for the majority of 30-100 person groups with minimal risk codes.  What constitutes a FT or PT or Contractor/freelancer should be revisited also.  

Just a few.....

Nm

18 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Ibew mebership has been stable decades.  It will increase.  Hell teachers union i imagine has grown.  Certain unions may suffer but unions cover so much more then just things that can be done in mexico.

Someone needs a reality check.