Check your account email address ×

****Official IndyCar Thread****

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I hear ya, but Alonso helps put fans in the seats and watching on the tube IMO. I think Indycar needs all the help it can get.

Let's be honest....a driver like Alonso with the resources of McClaren should have never been in this position in the first place. McClaren actually bought a setup sheet from Team Penske and Damping Technology from Andretti just to try and make the show today.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Let's be honest....a driver like Alonso with the resources of McClaren should have never been in this position in the first place.

I haven't kept up on it enough to know what's going on. Was it a car from Andretti?

Just now, ckf said:

I haven't kept up on it enough to know what's going on. Was it a car from Andretti?

I don't think so but not 100% sure.

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

I don't think so but not 100% sure.

I think that's what he used last year. Are they all the same chassis but different power plants?

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Apparently Alonso and McClaren could buy their way in to the race.

So they all run the same car with either a Honda or Chevy power plant. If McClaren didn't have any help setting up the car then I could see why they would be still searching for speed :dunno:

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

Indycar website says Alonso didn't make the race.  36 cars, 33 make the field.  They should let all 36 race, IMO.

Max Chilton and Patricio O'Ward as well........ The starting field has been 33 for as long as I can remember and the reason bump day is exciting is because drivers actually get bumped.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 1

Little Al's Alcohol Issues Continue

Retired race car driver Al Unser Jr. was arrested early Monday by Avon, Indiana, police on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated, records show.

Unser, 57, was booked into the Hendricks County Jail at 3:21 a.m.. Bond was set at $300, records show.

Unser has a history of offenses including for drunken driving and reckless driving in New Mexico in 2011; and drunken driving and hit and run in Nevada in 2007.

Unser won the Indianapolis 500 in 1992 and 1994. He has competed in the race 19 times, most recently in 2007. 

Unser has openly talked about his battle with alcoholism. 

In 2016, Unser told IndyStar that his then-partner left him after his 2011 drunken driving arrest in Las Vegas.

“I was left all by myself, and I had never been all by myself,” Unser said. “From my parents’ home growing up to the apartment with (first wife) Shelley, never alone.

“(Most kids) go to college, learn to live on their own, fall in love, have their heart broken. I never had any of that until I was 50 years old."

Al Unser Jr.

Al Unser Jr. (Photo: Hendricks County Sheriff's Office)

Unser told IndyStar he was suddenly forced to cook for himself, do his own laundry and house work and "find out who I was.”

“Believe me, there were a lot of very, very dark days," Unser said.

28 minutes ago, ckf said:

I was an Unser Jr fan back when he raced :(

I was too...he needs to get a handle on that shit before he hurts somebody.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Who you all rooting for?

Neal

You tell me. What's a good underdog that has a small chance to pull it off, or even run well?

1 minute ago, Momorider said:

I cheering for that 2nd row rookie :bc:

Colton Herta is a second generation phenom...19 years old and has a win under his belt already this season. :thumb: