Check your account email address ×

Holy Shit Credit card rates!,,

10 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Being in debt sucks.  I had some student loans and my wife had a bunch.  Enough that I could have snow checked a new sled, wrecked it every year @f7ben style, and bought a new one the next year in cash, for the better part of a decade.

All our expenses we can get go on our Citi Double Cash for 2% cash back.  Chase Amazon for 5% on Amazon purchases.  Nothing goes on we don't already have cash in the bank for.  Just put a new $7k mower on the card for points.  Paid it off as soon as the transaction posted.  Use the price protection, rental car insurance, extended warranties, and no foreign transaction fees.

Debt is dumb, cash is king.   I don't care what the interest rate is.  House is on a 15 year at 2.75% fixed.  Maxing out both 401k's too.  Don't have new sleds or vehicles but we are ok with that.  Buying a gently used skid loader in cash soon, hopefully this fall.

It's nice that people like Debtor Dave is paying for our credit card perks. 

6 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Image Dave. New handle! 

All my old shitbox's were more reliable than your tranny blowing ecoturd!

Debtor Dave might be a better handle. 

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What I get a kick out of is someone who is supposed to be very successful living his everyday life like he is just starting out.   

If your plan ain't working by now it never will.:lol:

I guess your aren't paying attention. No debt, lots of time off and disposable income. Our cars and trucks are 2008, 2012, 2017 and 2017. All owned outright.  When we were starting out, it was old cars and sleds, working long hours and mostly camping vacations. 

You might want to watch the stocks today.  Over 600 points down.  At what point to the margins get called?

Just now, snoughnut said:

Dave, you just keep making yourself look dumber. If that were true, a Model T would be as reliable as modern day vehicles :lmao:

Chances are an older vehicle is going to have issues before a new vehicle...to think otherwise is dumb.

1 minute ago, revkevsdi said:

It's nice that people like Debtor Dave is paying for our credit card perks. 

Debtor Dave might be a better handle. 

I guess your aren't paying attention. No debt, lots of time off and disposable income. Our cars and trucks are 2008, 2012, 2017 and 2017. All owned outright.  When we were starting out, it was old cars and sleds, working long hours and mostly camping vacations. 

You might want to watch the stocks today.  Over 600 points down.  At what point to the margins get called?

Cool story. :lol:

23 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

84 LTD II  sold in 99

87 Mustang still own

96 corolla  sold in 2013

89 Toyota truck sold in 2010

03 camry sold in 2017

09 ram still own

14 or corolla still own

They all had 240000-365000 kms

None were unreliable. 

Like you, Ive had a long list of vehicles too.  All were very reliable. I dont buy new and I can afford to.  Buying new vehicles works for some people, it doesnt work for me. 

• Like 2

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Like you, Ive had a long list of vehicles too.  All were very reliable. I dont buy new and I can afford to.  Buying new vehicles works for some people, it doesnt work for me. 

Exactly....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Never had a new one yet. Maybe someday.

9 minutes ago, DISABLED DAVE said:

Chances are an older vehicle is going to have issues before a new vehicle...to think otherwise is dumb.

Stop deflecting, you made the comment that reliability is luck, which was really dumb. I suppose vehicle engineers walk around with their fingers crossed and rabbits feet in their pockets. :lmao:

47 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I have a visa I didn’t use a lot. Small purchases maybe up to a grand. Paid it off in full every month like clock work. 

one month I maxed it out on heavy equipment parts. Around 10k. Got the bill, sent the cheque. Just like usual 

next month huge interest charges. Called them and they said I was a few days late. Bullshit. Too convenient. Told them to cancel the card but they reversed the charges instead 

I pay all my bills online as soon as the statement for that month is produced and schedule payment for a few days ahead of the due date... what's a cheque. I never rely on Canada Post for delivery in a timely manner.

1 minute ago, awful knawful said:

Never had a new one yet. Maybe someday.

With the exception of Polaris race sleds through the race dept from 2002- 2014, Ive never bought a new snowmobile, SxS or ATV either. Ive bought a few with under 100 miles on them though. 

50 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

That is an over used wives tale, I have an '02 F 150 that's been paid off since 2007 and it has never been in "constant" need of repair as a matter of fact, it's been far cheaper to repair it occasionally rather than making $500+ per month payments on a new truck. BTW it has never failed to start and it has 200,000 miles on it.......winning!!!

There are also people who like driving something other than an old beater. Myself I like all the creature comforts and technology that are part of the newer trucks. Try and tell me that a 16 year old truck hasn't needed some significant work over all those years.

3 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I pay all my bills online as soon as the statement for that month is produced and schedule payment for a few days ahead of the due date... what's a cheque. I never rely on Canada Post for delivery in a timely manner.

Rod's too stupid to work that out. He enjoys writing his cheques out in crayon. 

18 minutes ago, DISABLED DAVE said:

My 2011 F150 spent more time in the shop in the first 3 years than the next 3. 

The 2017's been trouble free so far.

3 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Nice having new....warranty...and your less likely to take it to the shop if you are without warranty...my older vehicles never see the shop....i fix them myself.

4 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Ask Dave how reliable his new F150 is......................

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

For those families, a new-car payment is a burden — but it’s one they can predict and live with. It sucks to “throw away” $300 or $400 every month, but it’s never a surprise and in exchange they have freedom from surprises. They have freedom from the surprise of losing two days of work or being stuck with their children by the side of a fifteen-degree freeway all night or having to diagnose mechanical issues using a cellphone flash and whatever conventional wisdom their parents bothered to impart when they weren’t off doing their own thing. They know that every month they are exchanging a fixed sum of money for certainty and reliability.

Viewed from one perspective, this incident absolutely validated the cash-for-used-car-and-learn-to-fix-it mentality. Viewed from another perspective, it was a damning indictment of a philosophy that requires plenty of time and flexibility to make work. To own and run a million-mile Lexus, or any other car where the maintenance and repair is your sole responsibility, requires that you have time to deal with the breakdowns, resources to cover the gaps in your life when problems occur, and the ability to pay for and install anything from a radiator to a differential. Which means, when you think about it, that a million-mile Lexus is something that it perhaps wasn’t quite when it hit the showroom back in 1996."

That's me. I can afford the monthly payments and have always timed the buy to get 0% rate. Starting with a bare bones truck and as my prosperity grew the truck I could afford grew. As time went on the equity I had in the truck after it was paid for as a trade in kept increasing as the trucks became higher end. The monthly cost on the new King Ranch is less than the monthly cost on my wife's Escape. Essentially it comes down to there wasn't any real trade in value when we bought the Escape but a high trade value on the old King Ranch.