Check your account email address ×

How about that stock market?

9 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It is not a public fund....it is privately offered and as of this morning is 100% cash and in a NY Life Guaranteed Int account. What part of moved 80% of my money to the sidelines dont you get. This market is shit and I dont trust it and I dont want my money exposed to it right now. I will get back in when I feel like it. 

Didn't you say you had it in an Emerging Market fund?

Good place to be for about 15% of your holdings BTW.

So your in one the the riskiest investments and you have a very low risk tolerance?:lol:

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

Aren’t you in your 30’s? You’re not going to need that money for a long time. I’m less than 10 away from retiring and still have the pedal to the metal. We’ll see some corrections and turbulence but I don’t see it crashing anytime soon. I know a guy that runs a mutual fund, has always given me great advise, and he is saying stay in right now.

I want to semi-retire in 12 years and I need this 401k to not take any massive 2008 style hits ........

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Didn't you say you had it in an Emerging Market fund?

Good place to be for about 15% of your holdings BTW.

So your in one the the riskiest investments and you have a very low risk tolerance?:lol:

Was in it for 2 months......performed poorly .....essentially sideways and way too exposed to tech given what has transpired

I'm out ....you can have it 

10 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Aren’t you in your 30’s? You’re not going to need that money for a long time. I’m less than 10 away from retiring and still have the pedal to the metal. We’ll see some corrections and turbulence but I don’t see it crashing anytime soon. I know a guy that runs a mutual fund, has always given me great advise, and he is saying stay in right now.

Pretty much has always been the case.  Dolts who tell you to get out are treading water with inflation.

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Was in it for 2 months......performed poorly .....essentially sideways and way too exposed to tech given what has transpired

I'm out ....you can have it 

A whole 2 months, you suffer from premature stock ejaculation.:lol:

I'm lowering my Canadian Equities and moving more into EM.:bc:

Pretty much has always been the case.  Dolts who tell you to get out are treading water with inflation.

I'm not telling anyone to do anything......in fact I'd tell anyone who asked me to do the exact opposite of whatever I do if they want to make money :lol: 

10 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I'm not telling anyone to do anything......in fact I'd tell anyone who asked me to do the exact opposite of whatever I do if they want to make money :lol: 

Not everyone is cut out for the market. Find something to invest in. The point is that if you’re sitting on all cash you’re getting behind with inflation. 

Just now, Edmo said:

Not everyone is cut out for the market. Find something to invest in. The point is that if you’re sitting on all cash you’re getting behind with inflation. 

Well seeing as how my money is a 401k my options are limited ......I'm either exposed or not. For the time being I choose not 

• Platinum Contributing Member
27 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I want to semi-retire in 12 years and I need this 401k to not take any massive 2008 style hits ........

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Well seeing as how my money is a 401k my options are limited ......I'm either exposed or not. For the time being I choose not 

How is a 401K going to help you semi-retire?  I assume in 12 years you would still be at penalty age for withdrawing early.

Just now, Highmark said:

How is a 401K going to help you semi-retire?  I assume in 12 years you would still be at penalty age for withdrawing early.

I wont draw on it until 59.5 but I want to be able to quit contributing to it at 49 and have it be in excess of 1 million at 59.5 assuming a 6% annual return

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Sounds like one thing Canada does much much better.

Sounds like one thing Canada does much much better.

I could roll it into an IRA and have broad control but that would exclude me from participating in my company plan for 6 months and we have a great match right now so not considering that 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I wont draw on it until 59.5 but I want to be able to quit contributing to it at 49 and have it be in excess of 1 million at 59.5 assuming a 6% annual return

Best bet is still play the history of the markets.  Make sure you are maxing out a Roth even at your age.  If your income restricts it you can simply roll IRA money into them without penalty.  

Seen a chart the other day about returns of people getting in and out of the market v. those that stay in.  4 categories and by far the highest rate of return was those that stayed in.

Get yourself in some good mutual funds and or index funds and balance it out with some muni bond funds.  Over managing the market to get to a goal is a sure way not to get there.

The money I play the market with is above and beyond my "goals money" that I simply keep in with minor adjustments or re allocation from time to time.   

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Highmark said:

Best bet is still play the history of the markets.

Seen a chart the other day about returns of people getting in and out of the market v. those that stay in.  4 categories and by far the highest rate of return was those that stayed in.

Get yourself in some good mutual funds and or index funds and balance it out with some muni bond funds.  Over managing the market to get to a goal is a sure way not to get there.

The money I play the market with is above and beyond my "goals money" that I simply keep in with minor adjustments or re allocation from time to time.   

I agree......I just cant help myself.....I'm impulsive and not too bright :lol: 

14 minutes ago, f7ben said:

how is a guy with your spending and drinking habits going to retire with a million $.  OR do you have a traditional pension as well.  

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

how is a guy with your spending and drinking habits going to retire with a million $.  OR do you have a traditional pension as well.  

I will temper my spending , I will have zero bills and I plan to have 4-500k in cash as well at 49 if everything works out. I'll be moving to the lake home and working part time or as I feel from 49-59. I'll start drawing on the 401 at 59.5 and take early SS if its there at 62.5  .......also I am considering my options for the next 12 years. I may join the IBEW depending on their offer and I would then have a small pension and annuity as well. 

The whole key is to anticipate being more frugal in retirement.......

This is my plan anyways and the only major issue is what I will do for HC.......my wife will likely work into our 50's in some capacity 

21 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Best bet is still play the history of the markets.  Make sure you are maxing out a Roth even at your age.  If your income restricts it you can simply roll IRA money into them without penalty.  

These guys always post reminders but some will never get it.

Chart – Futility of market timing

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I could roll it into an IRA and have broad control but that would exclude me from participating in my company plan for 6 months and we have a great match right now so not considering that 

Don't know all the details of your IRA, but I opted out of the last company I worked for's pension, who cares if they match.

With an RRSP we can contribute up to $26K per year at my income and I get back more than half as a refund,  so much for the match and I can invest it wherever.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Don't know all the details of your IRA, but I opted out of the last company I worked for's pension, who cares if they match.

With an RRSP we can contribute up to $26K per year at my income and I get back more than half as a refund,  so much for the match and I can invest it wherever.

Yah ours works nothing like that and if I opt out of the company plan I would lose out on about 5k per year of their contributions to my account

Currently they are matching 30% of everything I contribute 

23 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Don't think it works that way here with limits set at $5500 ($6500 if over 50).   Generally speaking its always best to max out what they will match.  Can't say I've heard of many money managers saying different in the US.  

Edited by Highmark

13 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Don't think it works that way here with limits set at $5500 ($6500 if over 50).   Generally speaking its always best to max out what they will match.  Can't say I've heard of many money managers saying different in the US.  

Ours is a % of income up to that max.  Gotta work with what you have.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Ours is here too. Only allowed to contribute 10% to 401k and company matches 30% of that total. 

23 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

USA max in 2018 for 401k is 18,500

can add up to 6000 more if you’re over 50

:bc: 

4 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

How much can you bench?

Not too much. My fuckin' shoulder and arm is killing me. I have the massage therapist tomorrow and Friday.