Check your account email address ×

Six pages in and gave up

27 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

Cool looking pic z.

Damn perfect day too!

26 minutes ago, ckf said:

Care to share the rest of the story?

I'll just cut and paste from HCS.  Short story is I crashed and re-injured a broken hand ruining my season.  

Long story:

Ok, so my first ride out and what was supposed to be a quick 40 mile shakedown, turned into a bit more (wish I'd have dressed more appropriatelywall.gif). Anyway, she was runnin' sweet and the trails were good and fast! New clutching and suspension work just about on the money!! You guys know what I mean thumbsup.png 

SO, we're heading into the gas station on some nice ditch banging jumps acting like a couple of Johnny fuckin' idiot sno-crossers and BAM! Landing after a jump, my left ski dug into the side of a hidden water meter! Million to one shot! Anyway, next thing I know I'm going ass-over-tea-kettle and I'm trying to avoid the sled steam from rolling me. 

I was able to limp it home ~45 miles at the speed of 20-25 mph. Ughhh....brutal! We stopped and bent back the a-arm as much as we could with dead fall. It helped but it was a bitch! I fought it the whole way with a ski turned in and those bars bent to crap. It was just unstable as hell. I've never been so happy to get off a sled in my whole life! 

Funny thing about this crash vs all my others on anything with handlebars, this wasn't at all self induced. Just dumb luck. I also think it was one of the fastest "ejections" I've ever had! All I remember is coming down, then I had a face full of ice and snow trying to squirm backwards while my sled was settling in on my ankle. That's it! No slow motion mind replays, no impact remembrance....nothing! I couldn't have been doing more than 25-30 mph and since my body was in "bounce mode" it probably made it much easier to take flight. But what if I was just cruising with my feet tucked? Ughhh.... I can't imagine what Ash (LE) and some of you have gone through. Again, this was more of a funny "ejection crash", but lots of them aren't so damn funny. Hell, judging by some really nasty bruising, I hit the hard-pack fast enough to break something, especially with only a few inches of snow on the ground. Maybe old habits die hard about relaxing the body a bit. Or, I just freaking got lucky! TUCK AND ROLL!!!!

I guess my point is....we just never know out there. And like many of you, I tend to ride like my hair is on fire, but still, I'm pretty safe when riding. We are all just rolling the dice so if this silly crash makes any of us think for just a second, sooo worth it. I can't lie, it's gonna make me think too. 

Like, how on earth did my windshield remain intact? It was packed with snow! blink.gif My sled found a much better spot than I did. Like they say, cat's are smart! laff.gif

Edited by Zambroski

• Platinum Contributing Member

I just picked up my new to me R&R trailer this evening. See how well the girlfriend takes to trail riding this season. Still need to get the 990 Lemke triple REV from my buddy since the GF will ride my old 700 gade.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Damn perfect day too!

I'll just cut and paste from HCS.  Short story is I crashed and re-injured a broken hand ruining my season.  

Long story:

That sucks! Had something similar happen to buddy several years ago. We were cruising along a freshly groomed abandoned railroad at about 50mph. His ski caught on something bringing the sled to an almost immediate stop. My buddy flew through the air and ended up about 25 feet in front of the sled. Sled was totaled.

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

That sucks! Had something similar happen to buddy several years ago. We were cruising along a freshly groomed abandoned railroad at about 50mph. His ski caught on something bringing the sled to an almost immediate stop. My buddy flew through the air and ended up about 25 feet in front of the sled. Sled was totaled.

Amazingly enough...I only had a bent lower A-arm, bent steering post and bent bars and some other little broken shit.  $300 and I was back in action in a week...where I really fucked up my hand...that's what really ended my season.

I hate to admit it..but my doo would have been totaled.  I still can't believe this thing wasn't.

Edited by Zambroski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Hope we get more snow than last year     

march 023.JPG

march 020.JPG

Fuck that was prime conditions last season. :lol:

That is unless you went to Mt. Valin :snack:

20160302_093203_zpszvqktyic.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biggie Smails said:

Cappy asked what you hunted and you said food is scarce so it sure as fuck sounds like you need fish.....but you're not a fisherman.

i will resort to eating berries before fishing, and if i have only berries for about a week then i will think about buying a fishnet, until then, i like to buy bullets. i supposed i can use a string a hook and a stick, but i'm a bit impatient and regard rod and reel fishing a waste of time unless on the verge of death

Just now, ckf said:

Great are to ride :bc:

It was a blast even with an 18 inch blizzard and -30F temps. Definitely going back, probably even this next season with the old lady, but probably almost April so it'll be a little warmer for her. I found Quebec rider to be a great resource, I posted a bunch of pics over there in the Saguenay section.:bc:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

It was a blast even with an 18 inch blizzard and -30F temps. Definitely going back, probably even this next season with the old lady, but probably almost April so it'll be a little warmer for her. I found Quebec rider to be a great resource, I posted a bunch of pics over there in the Saguenay section.:bc:

Tons of great info on riding in Quebec on QR. Were you saddle bagging through or was it your home base? 

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

Tons of great info on riding in Quebec on QR. Were you saddle bagging through or was it your home base? 

We left St. Raymond and rode to Roberval via Relais 22 day 1, day 2 went around the lake up to the cave then stayed in St. Rose, day 3 rode down to Tadoussac, took the ferry and came back 383 (I think thats the right number) to the Delta, then day 4 back to St. Raymond, almost 1k miles.:bc:

• Like 1

We left St. Raymond and rode to Roberval via Relais 22 day 1, day 2 went around the lake up to the cave then stayed in St. Rose, day 3 rode down to Tadoussac, took the ferry and came back 383 (I think thats the right number) to the Delta, then day 4 back to St. Raymond, almost 1k miles.:bc:

Sounds like a great trip. Did you get to meet Saguenay Bill at the Delta?

Just now, ckf said:

Sounds like a great trip. Did you get to meet Saguenay Bill at the Delta?

We didn't meet him, but it was the only place I was at that week that the majority of people spoke English and it was all U.S. plates in the parking lot, sleds and trailers as far as the eye could see. 

We didn't meet him, but it was the only place I was at that week that the majority of people spoke English and it was all U.S. plates in the parking lot, sleds and trailers as far as the eye could see. 

Bill has done a great job promoting that area to American snowmobilers :bc:

• Like 1

I am excited. I have another 2 week vacation this year at the end of February and a one year old sled with only 1600 miles that still feels brand new. Plus my own trailer so I don't have to rely on other people.

59 minutes ago, rump-rider said:

I am excited. I have another 2 week vacation this year at the end of February and a one year old sled with only 1600 miles that still feels brand new. Plus my own trailer so I don't have to rely on other people.

Going anywhere special during your vacation?