Check your account email address ×

Why Aren’t Wages Rising Faster Now That Unemployment Is Lower?

4 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

The undesirables are a blip imo. It’s going to be a good time to be a worker looking to make a change. 

Well, it was “unemployables”.  A bit of a misnomer.  In addition to people taken off the unemployment stats because they just aren’t looking for work, I mean people that have left the workforce due to limited opportunities or whatever and now some good opportunities are showing up.  These people aren’t in the unemployment numbers so when they get back in to the workforce, it doesn’t change the number of “unemployed”.  There are a lot of these people.  Early retirees, or just working on their own or PT or whatever.  I’m one.

10 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Automation and efficiency refinement is tempering this as we progress through this period of growth. I think that is why we are not seeing the wages rise as we would expect.

Companies are taking dollars that would normally pay for raises and they are investing them in tech that is cutting the amount of labor they need.

Its a smart strategy for the companies and the workforce needs to adjust 

Automation is expensive. Lean strategies are great, but you need to hire to grow. I fight with it every day. 

1 minute ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Automation is expensive. Lean strategies are great, but you need to hire to grow. I fight with it every day. 

Automation is cheap compared to labor

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Automation is cheap compared to labor

CapX isn’t cheap. For a US Steel or Fortune 500 it can be financed cleverly due to scale and accounting can work its magic, but for most small manufacturers, automation is an outlay of capital that isn’t always the easiest. We do $75M in sales a year. Not huge, but not some mom and pop shop. There is a lot of time and learning that is required to automate processes on a level that can effect labor substantially. Just to be clear, I’m all in right now for automation at my company, but it’s not an easy fight without scale. 

1 minute ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

CapX isn’t cheap. For a US Steel or Fortune 500 it can be financed cleverly due to scale and accounting can work its magic, but for most small manufacturers, automation is an outlay of capital that isn’t always the easiest. We do $75M in sales a year. Not huge, but not some mom and pop shop. There is a lot of time and learning that is required to automate processes on a level that can effect labor substantially. Just to be clear, I’m all in right now for automation at my company, but it’s not an easy fight without scale. 

That is true to some extent. My brother and I were just discussing the robotics going in at his plant. Its a small subsidiary of my company and they probably only have revenues in the 10's of millions. They are installing some robotic arms that are going to stack the ingots coming off the casting line. Its a pretty significant investment but they will utilize that labor else where in the plant. In this case it wasnt about eliminating positions it was about saving wear and tear on employees and eliminating the toughest task in the plant. 

Employees cost significant money extending beyond their wages. Exposure to work comp , lawsuits etc etc is all a real tangible cost 

5 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Union membership increased by 262,000 under the first year of trump.  Union membership was declining under obama.  Just having a pro worker and business President has helped the unions increase memberships in 2017.  

It’s a long road to fix the obama administration worker suppression policies but I am truely suprised howquickly and effectively trump has been progressing on rolling back all the bad obama did.

its a long road bro but it is get better quickly! :bc:

Our annual volume doubled under Obama. All union work.