Check your account email address ×

Why Aren’t Wages Rising Faster Now That Unemployment Is Lower?

• Gold Member

None of those charts, data and such are out of date as all of dates are 2016 and earlier with some only being as new as 2015....  As a union member I agree obama was not good for unions and wages.  Thanks for posting it is a great read on the last couple administrations and the wage stagnation they caused.

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

None of those charts, data and such are out of date as all of dates are 2016 and earlier with some only being as new as 2015....  As a union member I agree obama was not good for unions and wages.  Thanks for posting it is a great read on the last couple administrations and the wage stagnation they caused.

Please explain how things are going to get any better with a cored out, middle skill level workforce? 

Just now, Legend said:

Im not going to get into a political shitfest, but there are places in WI raising wages. One of the bank chains here went to $15 min wage.

How much were they paying? I’m assuming that’s for tellers. 

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Please explain how things are going to get any better with a cored out, middle skill level workforce? 

Union membership increased by 262,000 under the first year of trump.  Union membership was declining under obama.  Just having a pro worker and business President has helped the unions increase memberships in 2017.  

It’s a long road to fix the obama administration worker suppression policies but I am truely suprised howquickly and effectively trump has been progressing on rolling back all the bad obama did.

its a long road bro but it is get better quickly! :bc:

Edited by BOHICA

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The charts go back to 2000, you dummy. Try dropping the pathetic trump victimization act and re read it. Sheesh. 

I didn't click your stupid link to begin with ....yah  cuck!

:lol:

Just now, Legend said:

IDK how much they were paying. And AFAIK its a company wide min wage. $15 or more per hour.

The hollowed out job market still remains. Even a $15-20/hr job doesn’t come close to the $30-35/hr middle skilled positions that used to be widespread. The hole in the middle is what the article is talking about. The article does show the importance of education and ongoing skill building if a person wants to climb out of the “just getting by” employment. 

8 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Union membership increased by 262,000 under the first year of trump.  Union membership was declining under obama.  Just having a pro worker and business President has helped the unions increase memberships in 2017.  

It’s a long road to fix the obama administration worker suppression policies but I am truely suprised howquickly and effectively trump has been progressing on rolling back all the bad obama did.

its a long road bro but it is get better quickly! :bc:

I do agree that unions are pushing more now because they  have more clout with the tight job market. Mercury Marine approached the union with $18/hr for starting wage-assembly. The union told the company to go pound sand. The union wants $20/hr stating wage. They’ll get it too. The company is hurting with 45% fall out rate with new hires after 30 days. 

Edited by spin_dry

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I do agree that unions are pushing more now because they  have more clout with the tight job market. Mercury Marine approached the union with $18/hr for starting wage-assembly. The union told the company to go pound sand. The union wants $20/hr stating wage. They’ll get it too. The company is hurting with 45% fall out rate with new hires after 30 days. 

I can point in a direction to any young white kid fresh out of highschool and have him on course to make 6 figures by the time he turn 22 on a $6-10k education investment.  

I can take any black kid or young women fresh out high school and within a year of their highschool graduation or issue of their ged and have their earning potential at 6 figures threshold.  Super simple.

12 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I can point in a direction to any young white kid fresh out of highschool and have him on course to make 6 figures by the time he turn 22 on a $6-10k education investment.  

I can take any black kid or young women fresh out high school and within a year of their highschool graduation or issue of their ged and have their earning potential at 6 figures threshold.  Super simple.

Most dont wanna work hard and they see themselves with a degree in graphic design making video games or some shit for 2 million per year starting salary :lol: 

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Most dont wanna work hard and they see themselves with a degree in graphic design making video games or some shit for 2 million per year starting salary :lol: 

Generational attributes are cyclical in nature....  maybe the I generation be like the greatest generation and will fill in for the gaping hole in the labor force being left by the millenials holed up in mom’s basement.

24 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Generational attributes are cyclical in nature....  maybe the I generation be like the greatest generation and will fill in for the gaping hole in the labor force being left by the millenials holed up in mom’s basement.

IDK.....I just like to work. Of course I have a gravy job so there is that....but I've done a lot of hard work too. I cant imagine not working at any age between 16-50

3 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

It lags pretty hard. We just increased our line hourly wage 30%. We are considering raising it even more. It’s going to rise. It doesn’t have a choice. 

Wages lag demand .....that is pretty well understood

6 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

It lags pretty hard. We just increased our line hourly wage 30%. We are considering raising it even more. It’s going to rise. It doesn’t have a choice. 

Indeed.  Also, we’re seeing a new influx of “unemployables” (people left out of the equation) entering the workforce again that will skew the numbers for a bit.  Turnover and sector employment “churn” hasn’t really started yet.

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Wages lag demand .....that is pretty well understood

Not all...clearly.

Just now, Zambroski said:

Indeed.  Also, we’re seeing a new influx of “unemployables” (people left out of the equation) entering the workforce again that will skew the numbers for a bit.  Turnover and sector employment “churn” hasn’t really started yet.

Not all...clearly.

What do you mean not all clearly? As an aggregate that is nearly a fundamental truth of economics 

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Not all...clearly.

The undesirables are a blip imo. It’s going to be a good time to be a worker looking to make a change. 

Just now, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Even at a minimum, we are at near full employment. Companies can not hire without poaching from others. Got to pay to play. 

Automation and efficiency refinement is tempering this as we progress through this period of growth. I think that is why we are not seeing the wages rise as we would expect.

Companies are taking dollars that would normally pay for raises and they are investing them in tech that is cutting the amount of labor they need.

Its a smart strategy for the companies and the workforce needs to adjust