Check your account email address ×

The 2017 Iron Dog Thread

1 minute ago, Back Country Rebel said:

I think they are a little more relaxed on the drinking rule for the trail class riders.  That's probably all you would ever be up for trying anyway........ Still can't be seen drinking even for a trail class team.  you would want one of those backpacks with a hydration bag.  Fill it with whisky and a splash of sprite. :bc:

yah ....trail class is how f7ben rolls!!!!1 ...that way when I smash some plastics of one of those fancy race fags I can claim I am just trail class and didnt know what I was doing :lol:

Just now, Ez ryder said:

10 wow I have nt been up there in yrs don't remember more than a few hrs or real sun a day mid winter . but then I was always there winter break so early jan I guess

Here in South Central AK our shortest day (Dec 21)  is 5hrs 30 minutes of sun above the horizon.  By the Spring Equinox on March 21 we have over 14hrs of daylight.  

Today the fist light is at about 7:45 and the last light is about 6:45 pm.  Because there is snow covering everything it is actually light a little longer than that.  So we are at 11 hrs of daylight now.  

So back to the race.

Looks like Team 6 of George/Schachle are flying. They started in 7th position and have caught up to the leaders just past puntilla.  Also flying is Team 41 of Cory Davis and Ryan Simon.  They have passed several teams already as they head up into the Alaska Range.  Team 31 Lessard's from Maine are doing real well holding their own in about 4th position through Puntilla.

When teams leave McGrath their times will all be corrected and we will officially know who is actually in first place.  

The trail from Skwentna to Puntilla is bound to be wooped out by now.  They got 2 feet of snow in the last few days and the trail was not broken as of yesterday.  The front teams are plowing through deep snow but leaving a wooped out trail in their wake.  Should be interesting

I'm sponsoring 3 teams in the race this year and helped a 4th team get ready.  Team 5, 15 and 36 are the teams that I did the shock work for.  

So looks like Team 30 Conner and Crouse had some problems after leaving Skwentna.  Crouse got bucked into a tree and took out an upper and lower A-Arm on their Cats.  They went back to Skwentna and declared a 6hr layover.  They had parts in the plane so they will be back under way after their layover and their repairs are done.  Rumor is they may have some bulkhead damage too.  

Here is the starting order for this years race.  Team # and their name in order of their starting position.

16 Minnick/Olstad

18 Watson/Zwink

9 Plumb/Starr

31 Lessard/Lessard

Huss/Sottosanti

3 Barber/Spain

5 Petito/Vaughn

6 George/Schachle

4 Menne/Thibault

25 Bogert/Burmeister

36 Conlon/Folsom

12 Moore/Strick

14 Boylan/Leslie

42 Lindner/Swenson

41 Davis/Simons

37 Heilala/James

49 VanWingerden/VanWingerden

32 Cleary/Hausbeck

39 Dow/Grindle

22 Steiner/Strobel

45 Anselment/Nikolai

28 Gundersen/Norum

8 Aklestad/Johnson

10 Morgan/Olds

27 Drake/Jenkins

13 Johnson/Telkamp

30 Conner/Crouse

7 Johnson/King

44 Berg/George

23 Kruse/Sindorf

17 Gueco/VanMeter

24 Franz/Haines

20 Palin/Quam

15 Potter/Schwochert

19 Attla/Beetus35

• Like 1

Looks like Team 6 may have run into trouble headed down the gorge to the Kusk river.  Earlier they had caught Team 16 and were running right with them but now they are about 15 miles back and getting passed by teams they had passed earlier today.  This is not good for them.  

• Like 1

Looks to me like Team 6, Brad George and Robbie Schachle had the fastest time from Big Lake to Skwentna at 1:17.  If so they will receive $5000 for their efforts.  They will need it as they are having problems getting into Rohn now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Here is the starting order for this years race.  Team # and their name in order of their starting position.

16 Minnick/Olstad

18 Watson/Zwink

9 Plumb/Starr

31 Lessard/Lessard

Huss/Sottosanti

3 Barber/Spain

5 Petito/Vaughn

6 George/Schachle

4 Menne/Thibault

25 Bogert/Burmeister

36 Conlon/Folsom

12 Moore/Strick

14 Boylan/Leslie

42 Lindner/Swenson

41 Davis/Simons

37 Heilala/James

49 VanWingerden/VanWingerden

32 Cleary/Hausbeck

39 Dow/Grindle

22 Steiner/Strobel

45 Anselment/Nikolai

28 Gundersen/Norum

8 Aklestad/Johnson

10 Morgan/Olds

27 Drake/Jenkins

13 Johnson/Telkamp

30 Conner/Crouse

7 Johnson/King

44 Berg/George

23 Kruse/Sindorf

17 Gueco/VanMeter

24 Franz/Haines

20 Palin/Quam

15 Potter/Schwochert

19 Attla/Beetus35

Seems like slot of teams. Is there normally this many?

1 minute ago, Anler said:

I bet the winners are on poos or etecs...

Hahaha.  You have about 4 to 1 odds that say you're right.  

The leaders are about 40 minutes from reaching McGrath where they will take their first layover.  I don't have 30 years of stats memorized but this is about 3 hours quicker than normal.  Most of the teams are going 40+ mph across the burn without stopping this year.  Many past years the burn averaged 10mph or slower.  

By my unofficial clock, it looks like Team 16 will have about a 15 minute lead over the team in second place, which appears to be Team 8 of Aklestad/Johnson. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Hahaha.  You have about 4 to 1 odds that say you're right.  

The leaders are about 40 minutes from reaching McGrath where they will take their first layover.  I don't have 30 years of stats memorized but this is about 3 hours quicker than normal.  Most of the teams are going 40+ mph across the burn without stopping this year.  Many past years the burn averaged 10mph or slower.  

By my unofficial clock, it looks like Team 16 will have about a 15 minute lead over the team in second place, which appears to be Team 8 of Aklestad/Johnson. 

Is there more snow there than previous years?

Not sure exactly why but several top teams are holding up in Rohn.  Palin/Quam, Morgan/Olds, Conlon/Fulsom, to name just a few.  This isn't where any of these teams wanted to take a layover so that can only mean they have some sort of trouble.  

We have 3 more teams bearing down on McGrath now, they should all arrive within the next 15 minutes.  Behind them there are 4-5 more teams within 40 minutes of getting to their first layover spot.  

Team 6 Schachle/George our fastest team to Skwentna look to be back up to race speed now.  Whatever slowed them down between Puntilla dna Rohn must be sorted out as they are moving across the burn as fast as anyone.  

8 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

22 is taking a layover on Rohn to fix stud thru cooler issues.  

Dang.  A stud through the cooler is never fun.  There is almost nothing in Rohn.  Hopefully there is a welder and a generator in their support plane.  

This is Rohn and that's all there is in Rohn.  There is enough room in that little cabin for about 4 people and 3 of them will be the official checkers.  

Rohn%20Roadhouse%20pic.JPG

Inside

PhotomatixResults01-09.jpg?m=1374782637