Sign in to follow this  
ckf

Any groomer operators here?

Recommended Posts

Some of the posts in another thread was discussing grooming, so I thought I would start a new thread to see if anyone here is/was a groomer operator. I spent about ten years grooming in my old club in NH before moving to VT. Started out in a Track Truck, what a hoot :lol:  The club also had a steel tracked Tucker 2000 at the time that I worked my way in to. We eventually sold the TT and the 2000 and bought a new Tucker Terra 1000 in 2006. Then we bought a new Prinoth Husky in 2009 to groom 30 miles of old railbed. I really liked the Husky, but just about everyone else preferred the Tucker 1000 :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not groomed in about 3 yrs. I did like it if some one rode with to pass the pipe to . and if in a good storm it was cool . I will go out if they really need some one but just not my thing and we have a good size list of guys willing to drive. I have gone out first groom few times to help with brushing and what not I like that .we have 2 tuckers under 6 yrs old

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I have not groomed in about 3 yrs. I did like it if some one rode with to pass the pipe to . and if in a good storm it was cool . I will go out if they really need some one but just not my thing and we have a good size list of guys willing to drive. I have gone out first groom few times to help with brushing and what not I like that .we have 2 tuckers under 6 yrs old

 

I always liked to head out around 3AM to catch the sunrise on the trail. I tried to time it to be in a good location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I always liked to head out around 3AM to catch the sunrise on the trail. I tried to time it to be in a good location.

lol I am a night guy I don't get up early except for hay days and heading west I would head home about 3am

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I groom about 4-8 hours a week when we have snow.  Been doing it for 10+ years.  Started in a track truck and now in a tucker 1000. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I groom about 4-8 hours a week when we have snow.  Been doing it for 10+ years.  Started in a track truck and now in a tucker 1000. 

Did you have to deal with any hills with the track truck? On some of our hills we used to have to pull back on the stick everyone once in a while on the bigger hills so we couls see where we were going. Damn things like to point at the sky if the hills were to steep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ckf said:

Did you have to deal with any hills with the track truck? On some of our hills we used to have to pull back on the stick everyone once in a while on the bigger hills so we couls see where we were going. Damn things like to point at the sky if the hills were to steep. 

Couple spots were a pain with the track truck.  Like you said, you have to pull back on the stick on the hill just to see anything.  Honestly, our hills are not even that steep and I would still have to do that.  The Tucker is so much better but in icy situations it can be a problem as well.  I had to back it out of a woods once because of one icy hill.  Talk about an ordeal.  It was a 1/4 mile and no turn around.  I changed that the next year so that we could at least back up and turn around..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Couple spots were a pain with the track truck.  Like you said, you have to pull back on the stick on the hill just to see anything.  Honestly, our hills are not even that steep and I would still have to do that.  The Tucker is so much better but in icy situations it can be a problem as well.  I had to back it out of a woods once because of one icy hill.  Talk about an ordeal.  It was a 1/4 mile and no turn around.  I changed that the next year so that we could at least back up and turn around..

Does your Tucker have air lockers? Almost a necessity with the rubber tracked Tuckers. I've had to back down some hills a few times, but only had to winch to get up once. It was just to icy to make it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup NH tractor conversion, LMC and Bell units here just sold NH and bought a tucker, we are discussing whether or not to put air lockers or limited slip units in tucker

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

yup NH tractor conversion, LMC and Bell units here just sold NH and bought a tucker, we are discussing whether or not to put air lockers or limited slip units in tucker

If it's rubber tracked and you have any decent hills it would be a good idea. Snow isn't as much of an issue, it's the icy spots that will be the trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ckf said:

If it's rubber tracked and you have any decent hills it would be a good idea. Snow isn't as much of an issue, it's the icy spots that will be the trouble.

hills are the problem but some of our operators like to partake while grooming which is why we are looking more towards limited slip over the full lockers, they might forget to disengage them and fuck something up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.