Check your account email address ×

The truth on student loans.

Highmark

2 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Well yeah, it makes sense to let the students make all the decisions, right? :lol:

It’s usually a few adults championing the efforts of a hysterical teen or two. I’ve had to deal with a few of those student advocates and mental health advocates employed by the UW system and technical schools. It’s really kinda frightening. 

29 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Let’s not forget about the silly cost of college sports. Get rid of those sports programs 

Depends who we’re talking about here. Michigan football makes enough money to pay for all the other sports and then some.

10 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Depends who we’re talking about here. Michigan football makes enough money to pay for all the other sports and then some.

Rip up and look under the carpet of some of those lucrative sports programs and you’ll often find them heavily subsidized while grossly overstating the scholarships paid out. And isn’t it interesting that while profits from college ball has been exploding, college tuition has to. 

Edited by spin_dry

8 hours ago, spin_dry said:

The quality of education is still intact. American universities have an excellent core. It’s all the tack on shit that’s accumulated over the years that drives up costs. Student services is out of control. 

we have everything here. Safe spaces, cry closets ect.. You name it .They cater heavily to the snowflakes here. Cant upset Johnny or Mary cause they will sue.

Oh and no one gets an F. Not anymore

Edited by Pete

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

we have everything here. Safe spaces, cry closets ect.. You name it .They cater heavily to the snowflakes here. Cant upset Johnny or Mary cause they will sue.

Oh and no one gets an F. Not anymore

I could care less about safe spaces. Those are free. It’s all the auxiliary employment positions that have added up. I’d say that the American university system is no doubt the finest in the world. And yes, you still fail college. Grad programs still require high minimums fo enter and graduate. 

25 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I could care less about safe spaces. Those are free. It’s all the auxiliary employment positions that have added up. I’d say that the American university system is no doubt the finest in the world. And yes, you still fail college. Grad programs still require high minimums fo enter and graduate. 

No they are not.

Takes money to prepare a room  like this.

nothing is "free'

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

kids parking permits went up $100 this semester and they are having meltdowns

Just seems like they’re trying to get into your wallet everywhere you turn these days. We didn’t pay for parking when I was in school. My kids HS is $200 a year to park. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

I find it amusing that rarely in America you hear comparison's on education costs per student compared to other countries like HC.   I wonder why that is?  :lol:  

20 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Just seems like they’re trying to get into your wallet everywhere you turn these days. We didn’t pay for parking when I was in school. My kids HS is $200 a year to park. 

Even the private apartments charge parking in their own lots nowadays.  

Want to reduce the cost of college.

1. Limit the non-degree requirements dramatically. (college could be 3 years not 4)

2. Limit the merit and sports scholarships.

3. Control faculty size and costs.

Edited by Highmark

10 hours ago, Edmo said:

That goes for all Big Ten teams as each get about $38 million a year from the Big 10 network.  That network doesn't exist without football.  

10 hours ago, Edmo said:

Hell, the wife and I drove through the Notre Dame campus earlier this week. Holy shit that’s all I’m gonna say.   It’s pretty obvious that hundreds of millions of dollars are tied up in college football. I am all for tradition, but it has gotten ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Want to reduce the cost of college.

1. Limit the non-degree requirements dramatically. (college could be 3 years not 4)

2. Limit the merit and sports scholarships.

3. Control faculty size and costs.

#1 is big.  Let’s be honest, the first two years, less maybe a few courses are basically refreshers.  Come on.

I’d add, eliminate the electives for the majority of majors.  Some of these  are ridiculously stupid.  Even more so if you have to pay for them.

Just now, Zambroski said:

#1 is big.  Let’s be honest, the first two years, less maybe a few courses are basically refreshers.  Come on.

I’d add, eliminate the electives for the majority of majors.  Some of these  are ridiculously stupid.  Even more so if you have to pay for them.

We already spend $9000 per student with fed and state funding on higher education.   That figure is based on total college students not public colleges which get the majority if not all the money.  

10 hours ago, Edmo said:

yes but that is isolated to lets call it the top 25 football schools and basketball schools otherwise sports is nothing but a drain. the only way other football programs even come close to break even is the payout they get to get beaten up on by a D1 FBS team 1 weekend a year.  if football and basketball want a minor league they can pay for it not the colleges.   

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

electives are a huge issue.  I was actually having this talk yesterday with my financial advisor.  the normal major can be completed in 3 years or less if you remove all the fluff and "make you a well rounded student" classes.  Many states also allow HS seniors to knock off a year of community college while in HS which should be something all schools do because the issue exists at the HS level as well with stupid class requirements which could be better spent taking some of the basic core college classes.  

39 minutes ago, Edmo said:

They never had to pay for parking before.

Because a finance guy fucked and put us $9 million in the hole, the entire university is now paying for it. Hell I just got a piddley ass raise after 2 years of nothing.

42 minutes ago, Edmo said:

damn thats high.  do they claim it's to pay for a lot monitor to drive around in a golf cart like our school.  HS i think was $50 my son just paid $300 for his college one although thats more to keep there from being too many cars that aren;t needed at school.  we only let him get one because he works a few days a week 25 minutes away

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

electives are a huge issue.  I was actually having this talk yesterday with my financial advisor.  the normal major can be completed in 3 years or less if you remove all the fluff and "make you a well rounded student" classes.  Many states also allow HS seniors to knock off a year of community college while in HS which should be something all schools do because the issue exists at the HS level as well with stupid class requirements which could be better spent taking some of the basic core college classes.  

Yep.  I actually took mostly college classes my senior year of HS....as did my daughter.    But oddly, I found the universities found a way to make up that revenue.  The money grabbing on every single thing is astounding....and as you say, makes for a more “well rounded” experience and higher level of education.  Mhmmm.....still renting those paper books I see.

It’s just restarted, IMO.

53 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Hell, the wife and I drove through the Notre Dame campus earlier this week. Holy shit that’s all I’m gonna say.   It’s pretty obvious that hundreds of millions of dollars are tied up in college football. I am all for tradition, but it has gotten ridiculous. 

Schools like Notre Dame and Michigan have donors that give millions. Their athletic facilities are spectacular. Crisler arena (Michigan basketball) has granite countertops at the snack bar. :lol: 

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Some electives are not always necessary, but they add a non- measurable to education. My daughter would call me crying when was involved in statistics. She was so frustrated and almost had herself believing that she couldn’t do it and would fail. She pushed herself through and got it done. That adds perseverance. Higher education can serve not only to get smarter, but to be a more rounded and grounded individual.