Check your account email address ×

Some Great News from the OFSC

35 minutes ago, StevieWonder said:

The selling  prices have dropped , people’s dream o Meters are still high . 

Great for those holding that don't need to sell.

6 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I was almost going to suggest that, that some of the prices seem to be creeping down, still out to lunch though, especially when you see some that are a tear down, as AC also suggested. 

We have talked to many agents in the areas and have a great idea of the market.  I'm on a desirable lot that only 13% could get, Stevie has me beat with a lot that only <10% could get.

I have given up looking for places so we are knocking our place down and re-building.

I heard the new trend is for younger people to rent a condo in the city and buy a cottage or getaway property that they can head north to.   Only have one mortgage and one property to really care for.

Just wait until the government places some sort of onerous tax on any place  you own that isn't your primary residence.  Because after all, not only is it environmentally unfriendly, it's so unfair that you have two homes when so many people can't even afford one. That will be the end of the traditional cottage owner in Ontario.  

50 minutes ago, Pete Z said:

Just wait until the government places some sort of onerous tax on any place  you own that isn't your primary residence.  Because after all, not only is it environmentally unfriendly, it's so unfair that you have two homes when so many people can't even afford one. That will be the end of the traditional cottage owner in Ontario.  

Don’t give the dumb bitch any more ideas.

I wonder how many People who bought properties in the last year are now stuck with a mortgage worth more then their property thanks to Wynnes measures to curb real estate prices?

57 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Don’t give the dumb bitch any more ideas.

I wonder how many People who bought properties in the last year are now stuck with a mortgage worth more then their property thanks to Wynnes measures to curb real estate prices?

Read an article about a Canadian couple in BC although they live in the US  who just bought a home to stay in when they visit back home who will be hit with an additional 8K per year in tax.

Its how leftturds roll.

2 hours ago, Pete Z said:

sadly if that bitch gets back in that will be on her radar

13 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

OK perhaps I should have been a bit clearer.  Its not dying, its transitioning.  Most cottage owners today have or own inherited properties and sell cause they can no longer afford the bills or the cost to inherit.  New owners are buying properties, many just for the land and are knocking down and rebuilding and keeping the places open all year as demographics are moving more north.  The traditional owner is holding in many cases an old property that is a demolish in waiting.  

Most current cottage owners would be shut out of the current cottage market.

I read recently how there is a growing trend in cottage ownership that started a number of years ago and is continuing. Increasingly people are opting for a small condo or apartment in Toronto and buying a cottage/home instead. During week days they are focused on their career and don't need much more than a place to have dinner and sleep. They leave straight from work on Friday and go "home" for true R & R for the weekend. Often they are returning to Toronto very late Sunday or even Monday morning driving directly to their jobs.

They are also seeing buying the "cottage / home" as a more affordable option than buying a home in Toronto.

There are also the retirees that are opting out of Toronto and making the cottage their full time home, often doing major renovations. So far about 75% of the people I know who have retired or about to retire are doing exactly that.

4 hours ago, Pete Z said:

Just wait til they add capital gain tax to your principle residence, cause its not fair to those who rent and can't afford homes.

Back on topic. Part of the More on the Snow program is the realignment of the districts including the merging of D7 and D10. Both those districts are strongly opposed to it. With Paul Murray being the D7 governor and now having more "influence" as the OFSC president I wonder if the merger of the two will be scrubbed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Just wait til they add capital gain tax to your principle residence, cause its not fair to those who rent and can't afford homes.

Another don't give them any ideas.

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Actually if you write off office space in your home and deduct it on your taxes, I believe that portion is now subject to capital gains tax when you sell your principle res.  Thanks Truetard.  

2 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Back on topic. Part of the More on the Snow program is the realignment of the districts including the merging of D7 and D10. Both those districts are strongly opposed to it. With Paul Murray being the D7 governor and now having more "influence" as the OFSC president I wonder if the merger of the two will be scrubbed.

I hope they remain separate.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Actually if you write off office space in your home and deduct it on your taxes, I believe that portion is now subject to capital gains tax when you sell your principle res.  Thanks Truetard.  

Saw on the news yesterday that thanks to Trudope if you get free parking at your job it's taxable income. They started reassessing Toronto first responders going back 3 years. The city has been paying for the reassessed taxes but the employees are on their own for the tax liability now.

They also started going after employee discounts as a taxable benefit. If you get a 15% employee discount, buy something for $100 you would now have $15 to pay tax on. It could be as little as $3 at the lowest income tax rate but some may see the government grab $6 or more of that discount.

http://torontosun.com/2017/10/13/cra-taxes-first-responders-for-parking-at-work/wcm/81e92b07-75d3-4a1d-bba6-65571bbda17c

Another one that has allegedly been looked at by Wynnebag is HST on employee purchases. Spend $100 get a 15% employee discount you currently pay HST on the $85. Wynnebag thinks it would be a good idea to have the HST calculated pre discount and pay the HST on the full $100.

10 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Saw on the news yesterday that thanks to Trudope if you get free parking at your job it's taxable income. They started reassessing Toronto first responders going back 3 years. The city has been paying for the reassessed taxes but the employees are on their own for the tax liability now.

They also started going after employee discounts as a taxable benefit. If you get a 15% employee discount, buy something for $100 you would now have $15 to pay tax on. It could be as little as $3 at the lowest income tax rate but some may see the government grab $6 or more of that discount.

http://torontosun.com/2017/10/13/cra-taxes-first-responders-for-parking-at-work/wcm/81e92b07-75d3-4a1d-bba6-65571bbda17c

Another one that has allegedly been looked at by Wynnebag is HST on employee purchases. Spend $100 get a 15% employee discount you currently pay HST on the $85. Wynnebag thinks it would be a good idea to have the HST calculated pre discount and pay the HST on the full $100.

Think of all the children this will help.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

I agree. Just wait and see if they fully endorse a living wage. We will truly be fucked then.

Moving to Lindsay?

A friend's wife said after they moved to Balsam Lake near Cocobonk, that Lindsay made Keswick look like the Bridal Path.

That’s the whole point of Friday Harbour . For people downtown , who don’t even have to drive . One guy I was talking to there was sayin he sold his muskoka cottage . Bought in FH , he takes the Go from downtown , to south Barrie Go , they have a shuttle running there . Enjoys the weekend , takes train back , no traffic . 

20 minutes ago, StevieWonder said:

That’s the whole point of Friday Harbour . For people downtown , who don’t even have to drive . One guy I was talking to there was sayin he sold his muskoka cottage . Bought in FH , he takes the Go from downtown , to south Barrie Go , they have a shuttle running there . Enjoys the weekend , takes train back , no traffic . 

One of our corporate guys is selling his beautiful lakefront home that he built for retirement on their cottage property near Minden and moving to FH.  Almost a two year wait before his place will be ready in FH though. Says he's getting tired of the maintenance and extra driving and I think his wife feels kinda isolated where they are. Seems Friday Harbour is turning out to be very popular.

9 hours ago, Pete Z said:

One of our corporate guys is selling his beautiful lakefront home that he built for retirement on their cottage property near Minden and moving to FH.  Almost a two year wait before his place will be ready in FH though. Says he's getting tired of the maintenance and extra driving and I think his wife feels kinda isolated where they are. Seems Friday Harbour is turning out to be very popular.

They just had a fire there last month that destroyed some of the townhouses. The concept is likely solid and very attractive to many. I know one family that was considering moving there and almost did. What held them back was thoughts of it becoming another Lagoon City and after talking to some of the local area people about boating on Lake Simcoe they realized how many times the lake can be too rough to get out on the water and how it can suddenly become too rough for his 19 ft. boat.

I can see other communities like this being developed elsewhere to attract commuters and retirees.

10 minutes ago, 02sled said:

They just had a fire there last month that destroyed some of the townhouses. The concept is likely solid and very attractive to many. I know one family that was considering moving there and almost did. What held them back was thoughts of it becoming another Lagoon City and after talking to some of the local area people about boating on Lake Simcoe they realized how many times the lake can be too rough to get out on the water and how it can suddenly become too rough for his 19 ft. boat.

I can see other communities like this being developed elsewhere to attract commuters and retirees.

Lagoon City came to mind.

My Bro has a 21' Chaparral and has a place in Innisville, the lake is too rough for his boat half the time he wants to get out.

Nothing wrong with these communities, but if I'm gonna move I need more elbow room than where I'm coming from.

• Like 1