Check your account email address ×

Water softeners

Just now, Ez ryder said:

yeah those are like 450 brand new for the water boss brand same unit . buy the box store extended warranty with it for 50 and in 3 yrs be sure it is broken or not working as well as new

They are not that cheap here

Screenshot_2018-01-05-17-33-11.png

Screenshot_2018-01-05-17-33-18.png

i have a carbon filter with a potassium permanganate attachment.  I looked at switching things up but for now its working fine.

In our area most have hard water.  Mine isnt bad with the system.  Only the hot water has a smell but I will be flushing the system come spring.  No stains on the toilets.  I wash whites and they are still white and I've been here 1.5 years.  In the spring I get a tanis smell in the cold water but once the spring melt is gone the smell is gone. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 hours ago, Tomas. said:

According to the realtor I used when I bought the house, my pump is 240 feet down. 

The store sells the old mechanical timer ones as they never break apparently. 

Found a brine tank and resin? Tank for 150 but needs a metering valve. called the store and the metering valves range from 600-900. 

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-home-appliance/edmonton/water-softener/1307843849?utm_source=com.android.mms&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Then something is real funky. Bacteria or iron bacteria is not common in deep wells. It is usualy caused by what is called ground water under the influence of surface water.There is a pretty good chance that either yours or a neighbors septic system is failing.

Was kinda hoping it was a shallow well as the fix is much easier. 

There is also the chance that your casing is cracked within the top 20 ft of the well.

My well is supposedly only a few years old as the old one was apparently struck by lightning. My septic tank is also supposedly 4 years old.

I live in farm country with a lot of marshy lakes around.

Screenshot_2018-01-06-09-37-11.png

8 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

My well is supposedly only a few years old as the old one was apparently struck by lightning. My septic tank is also supposedly 4 years old.

If the well sat dormant for any time or does not get enough water turnover you will need to shock them from time to time. That will cure the taste and smell issues. 

I personally hate hate hate soft water. I'd rather have stains than soft water 

36 minutes ago, f7ben said:

If the well sat dormant for any time or does not get enough water turnover you will need to shock them from time to time. That will cure the taste and smell issues. 

I personally hate hate hate soft water. I'd rather have stains than soft water 

It wouldn't bother me so much either but it slows the taps and will eventually ruin the washing machine. We don't have a dishwasher but would like one so another reason to put a water softener in

1 minute ago, Tomas. said:

It wouldn't bother me so much either but it slows the taps and will eventually ruin the washing machine. We don't have a dishwasher but would like one so another reason to put a water softener in

Yes , its tough on washing machines and water heater elements but its better than having soft water :lol: I grew up with hard well water

Check out kinetico softeners. We use them at work. It’s 20 years old and there is no down time to regenerate. Expensive but great. Took 900ppm down to 0 without a polisher.  But I don’t think they take care of bacteria. You need to shock the well and check to see if you are getting ground water contamination 

4 hours ago, Tomas. said:

A lightening strike would take out the pump , not the well. How long has the property had a house on it?

Just now, steve from amherst said:

A lightening strike would take out the pump , not the well. How long has the property had a house on it?

I believe a minimum of 10 years, maybe more. 

2 hours ago, Tomas. said:

I will be shocking my well but they told me I had to wait till the weather was consistently above 0*c

It may be in your best interest to have a conversation with a well company. A softner may treat the symptom, not the problem.

I rent mine from Reliance.  That and my on demand water heater.  The softener is about $35/mnth and they install for free plus 3mnths worth of salt.  I have water as hard as yours, without the smell.  I would go through a shower head every couple of months even rinsing it with CLR.  My old water heater was a regular electric also from Reliance.  They were here at least once a year changing out the elements due to the hard water.  The good part of renting..  all repairs are free and when it gets outdated they bring in a new one for free.  I also run a sediment filter and ultraviolet light.  I have no issues drinking my water.

https://reliancehomecomfort.com/toronto/water-softeners/

Edited by odot1