Check your account email address ×

Football's decline has some high schools disbanding teams

Just now, racinfarmer said:

Lady that works with me said she spent like $2899 on her kids skates this years.  

Fuck that noise.  

yup....and they will be worth $200 next season 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

yup....and they will be worth $200 next season 

Kind of starting to look around a bit at Z120 racing for the kid.  Doesn't sound so bad all the sudden when you start hearing numbers like that!

I guess the goalie on their team has a custom painted helmet, probably on top of the expensive skates.  

31 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Lady that works with me said she spent like $2899 on her kids skates this years.  

Fuck that noise.  

"Sucker born every minute". 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

I loved baseball and it was the only thing I was good at.....I certainly have never uttered a bad word about it 

well then I appologize ben.  Could had swore you were one of them in the past.  Baseball was  all I played as well.

2 hours ago, SSFB said:

Baseball was always my game growing up and football didn't really interest me that much until I started playing it in school. Then I liked it as much as baseball. 

I still enjoy watching it but I do think that there's a decent chance that football as we know it will be extinct in 30 years, unless they can somehow largely mitigate the brain injuries. 

My boy decided this year as an 8th grader he'd like to play football.  Never played before, never hardly watched it, or knew anything about it.  He's a good baseball player and loves the game but got it in his head to try football.  I didn't like it but figured he has the right to try what he wants to.  He's fast, can catch, but can't tackle worth a shit. Just doesn't have the skillset the others have that have been playing since they were knee high to a grasshopper.  Very tentative and tonight told me why.  He claims he got kicked in the head a few times while being on the ground and that was enough to bother him to not want to lead into a tackle with his head.  Says the helmets are shit quality as far as padding goes, and the kids who got to pick toward the end on equipment day are really bad.   There's been at least 3 concussions on his team so far this year that i'm aware of.

But lets build a million dollar turf field.....

8 minutes ago, hayward said:

My boy decided this year as an 8th grader he'd like to play football.  Never played before, never hardly watched it, or knew anything about it.  He's a good baseball player and loves the game but got it in his head to try football.  I didn't like it but figured he has the right to try what he wants to.  He's fast, can catch, but can't tackle worth a shit. Just doesn't have the skillset the others have that have been playing since they were knee high to a grasshopper.  Very tentative and tonight told me why.  He claims he got kicked in the head a few times while being on the ground and that was enough to bother him to not want to lead into a tackle with his head.  Says the helmets are shit quality as far as padding goes, and the kids who got to pick toward the end on equipment day are really bad.   There's been at least 3 concussions on his team so far this year that i'm aware of.

Wow, that's horrible. We always had good helmets at least. 

21 minutes ago, hayward said:

If it is like one of the districts around here, they got such a good deal on it they couldn't pass it up, despite over half the school board members having kids on the team.  I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.  

I think I'd be taking my kid out of the program.

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

If it is like one of the districts around here, they got such a good deal on it they couldn't pass it up, despite over half the school board members having kids on the team.  I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.  

I think I'd be taking my kid out of the program.

You want to hear the best part?  The field is about 10-14 years old, somewhere in that range.  2 years ago sitting in the stands I commented how the field just doesn't look right.  Looks black in a lot of large areas of the field.  At the time had never been on the actual field or any turf field for that matter.  Then what, a year ago or more?  The story on the news about young kids coming down with illnesses ( I think cancer?) being traced back to the blackish rubberish shit they use in the turf, and right away I think of this field.  Tonight at the game someone now tells me that after this season they are redoing the whole field.  It's so bad the kid's cleats are getting caught in the base layer of the turf because of the lack of "green".

Man the tax payers are going to love this when word gets out that the thing is shot

25 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Wow, that's horrible. We always had good helmets at least. 

Hey you!  I'm going to hijack this quick.  I my laptop battery went from holding 2+ hours of charge last week to 40 minutes or less this week.  100% changed to almost dead in 40 minutes or less.  WTF is making that happen, or did it just shit the bed out of nowhere?

4 minutes ago, hayward said:

You want to hear the best part?  The field is about 10-14 years old, somewhere in that range.  2 years ago sitting in the stands I commented how the field just doesn't look right.  Looks black in a lot of large areas of the field.  At the time had never been on the actual field or any turf field for that matter.  Then what, a year ago or more?  The story on the news about young kids coming down with illnesses ( I think cancer?) being traced back to the blackish rubberish shit they use in the turf, and right away I think of this field.  Tonight at the game someone now tells me that after this season they are redoing the whole field.  It's so bad the kid's cleats are getting caught in the base layer of the turf because of the lack of "green".

Man the tax payers are going to love this when word gets out that the thing is shot

I think many high school sports programs have become a bit out of control.  FIL used to be a high school coach "when it use to be fun."  Now he rarely even goes to games.  

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Hey you!  I'm going to hijack this quick.  I my laptop battery went from holding 2+ hours of charge last week to 40 minutes or less this week.  100% changed to almost dead in 40 minutes or less.  WTF is making that happen, or did it just shit the bed out of nowhere?

Typically they go bad slowly, not quickly.

Shut down the PC, remove the battery and hold down the power button for a minute or so. Now use it for a while, any difference?

If that doesn't help, Google "reset battery" or "calibrate battery" followed by your brand, the process can be a little different per brand. 

Just now, SSFB said:

Typically they go bad slowly, not quickly.

Shut down the PC, remove the battery and hold down the power button for a minute or so. Now use it for a while, any difference?

If that doesn't help, Google "reset battery" or "calibrate battery" followed by your brand, the process can be a little different per brand. 

Do I leave the power cord connected for this step?

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Is the hard reset something I should back up shit for?

No need. All it's doing is "clearing the circuits" so to speak. 

I've done this many times with PCs. 

1 minute ago, SSFB said:

No need. All it's doing is "clearing the circuits" so to speak. 

I've done this many times with PCs. 

I haven't done it for a while, so I might as well.  Looks like a new battery is around $25 at Newegg.  5 years out of the old one probably isn't too bad.

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

Many newer batteries can go quickly, last two in my laptop have done so.

Neal

Gotcha. That very well could be, I guess I tend to forget that I haven't really done any desktop support in almost 7 years now. Time flies!

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I haven't done it for a while, so I might as well.  Looks like a new battery is around $25 at Newegg.  5 years out of the old one probably isn't too bad.

Last time I bought a battery from Newegg it was decent. Plenty good for the price.