Check your account email address ×

21 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

203 years ago today

:bc:

Interesting video at the link

IMG_7955.JPG.fb542c7a37f52c06e22d24b718639013.JPG

https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/when-the-british-burned-the-white-house/

Time to tear down anything to do with Great Britain and send all Brits and people that are descended from GB back to the island. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, T1R9sledder said:

Time to tear down anything to do with Great Britain and send all Brits and people that are descended from GB back to the island. 

That would imply Canadians also right?  Sort of guilty by association  kind of thing :saluting:

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

That would imply Canadians also right?  Sort of guilty by association  kind of thing :saluting:

The Canadians had nothing to do with burning the white house, that was all British. :bc:

11 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

The Canadians had nothing to do with burning the white house, that was all British. :bc:

Ah so Canadians here jumping on the backs of the British when they say they burnt our White House down once before? :bc: 

6 minutes ago, T1R9sledder said:

They can stay, without Canadians I wouldn't have discovered poutine!!

I've yet to have any that I liked. The stuff at Cicarelli's over here I had I wanted to give it back. I need to get back up into Canada and try it again which give me an excuse for a sled trip :lol: 

17 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Ah so Canadians here jumping on the backs of the British when they say they burnt our White House down once before? :bc: 

I've yet to have any that I liked. The stuff at Cicarelli's over here I had I wanted to give it back. I need to get back up into Canada and try it again which give me an excuse for a sled trip :lol: 

There's some places in St John valley part of Maine that serve up good poutine.  

3 minutes ago, T1R9sledder said:

There's some places in St John valley part of Maine that serve up good poutine.  

Maine...another place I have yet to see  :sad:

22 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Obviously.  Canada wasn't even a country yet

:lol:

Canada's a country?  I thought it was a British Commonwealth? :lol:  :taunt:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

:lol:

A commonwealth is made up of member countries

:bc:

Wiki says member "States."    Just like flipping Nooks shit on this. :lol:   

2 hours ago, Kivalo said:

No, its not. They were British regulars.

What about the natives? The freed blacks? The americans that didnt want to belong to america?

You said only british....and that is incorrect.

32 minutes ago, FAT DAVE said:

What about the natives? The freed blacks? The americans that didnt want to belong to america?

I had to check since its been years since I studied History (ironic) but Kivalo is correct. While the natives, freed slaves and Upper and Lower Canadians were very active in the war, It was the British troops landed in Maryland that sacked and Burned the white house. Many said this was in retaliation for burning York (Toronto) but it was relatively unrelated except for the military command structure in place. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
56 minutes ago, FAT DAVE said:

Ahh ok, I see your point now. I assumed you meant to say it was Canadian forces. My bad. :bc:

• Like 1

• Gold Member
24 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

I had to check since its been years since I studied History (ironic) but Kivalo is correct. While the natives, freed slaves and Upper and Lower Canadians were very active in the war, It was the British troops landed in Maryland that sacked and Burned the white house. Many said this was in retaliation for burning York (Toronto) but it was relatively unrelated except for the military command structure in place. 

And York was burned by two Nook ExPats who were a little deranged.:bc:

Edited by Kivalo