Check your account email address ×

Any HVAC techs here? AC question

My AC usually runs without a hitch but once and a while the compressor doesn't want to kick on. When that happens, typically I can turn the AC system off, let it sit for 1/2 hour or an hour then turn it on and it will run without any issue for a couple weeks, turning on and off according to the thermostat setting of course.

When it doesn't want to run, I don't hear any noise from it, no buzzing or anything. 

I've read that it could be a capacitor or maybe that I should look into a "hard start" kit but I'm really not sure. 

It's a Lennox system. 

4 minutes ago, SSFB said:

My AC usually runs without a hitch but once and a while the compressor doesn't want to kick on. When that happens, typically I can turn the AC system off, let it sit for 1/2 hour or an hour then turn it on and it will run without any issue for a couple weeks, turning on and off according to the thermostat setting of course.

When it doesn't want to run, I don't hear any noise from it, no buzzing or anything. 

I've read that it could be a capacitor or maybe that I should look into a "hard start" kit but I'm really not sure. 

It's a Lennox system. 

I'd huck that fucker head long through the lennox show room window !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111111

Just now, f7ben said:

I'd huck that fucker head long through the lennox show room window !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111111

THAT'S WHAT I'M THINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111

could be something as simple as low on refrigerant .....most systems that I have worked on in limited capacity have low pressure shut offs and cycling the compressor and moving the gas sometimes alleviates the issue for a bit. No clue what consumer setups have

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

could be something as simple as low on refrigerant .....most systems that I have worked on in limited capacity have low pressure shut offs and cycling the compressor and moving the gas sometimes alleviates the issue for a bit. No clue what consumer setups have

I did have them fill it last year. I guess it's possible it's leaking though. 

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Hmmmm.....one idea: Been running it a lot?  Could be your coil icing up causing your pressure switch to trip.  Check filter and clean out that area.  

It's been hotter than fuck here lately so it has been running alot. Would the line going to the compressor be frozen too? I have had that happen, but not this year. 

There's a filter on the compressor that I should check?

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

could also be your thermostat ....that is a good possibility 

I have swapped out the wall thermostat several times before when this has happened, has never made a difference. 

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

The Rushhands have hacked your techy wifi thermostat.  

Good call on that F7Ben.

SSFB has tremendous network security, the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Just now, SSFB said:

I did have them fill it last year. I guess it's possible it's leaking though. 

It's been hotter than fuck here lately so it has been running alot. Would the line going to the compressor be frozen too? I have had that happen, but not this year. 

I have swapped out the wall thermostat several times before when this has happened, has never made a difference. 

probably low on gas again .......did they have to put a piercing valve in when they filled it last year??? Most home systems are closed I thought like refrigerators 

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

if it was a bad starter cap you'd hear a buzzing. could be the thermostat or starter relay. 

if it was a bad starter cap it would never start....single phase cap start motors dont start without a cap unless you assist them in first rotations 

Just now, f7ben said:

probably low on gas again .......did they have to put a piercing valve in when they filled it last year??? Most home systems are closed I thought like refrigerators 

Not that I recall. I think it was just a top off of the refrigerant. 

The bad thing is that when I had them come and do that, they were coming to troubleshoot this exact issue where the compressor wouldn't start. Then when they came the fucking thing turned on without any issue of course. 

He checked the compressor out over the course of 5-10 minutes and said it needed to be topped off. 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

if it was a bad starter cap it would never start....single phase cap start motors dont start without a cap unless you assist them in first rotations 

I did try giving it a push tonight, though it didn't do anything. 

Just now, SSFB said:

Not that I recall. I think it was just a top off of the refrigerant. 

The bad thing is that when I had them come and do that, they were coming to troubleshoot this exact issue where the compressor wouldn't start. Then when they came the fucking thing turned on without any issue of course. 

He checked the compressor out over the course of 5-10 minutes and said it needed to be topped off. 

That sucks and is typical.....if you have a multimeter it would be pretty easy to see what the issue is. There should be a print inside the panel ...you just need to call for cool and see which switch is preventing the contactor from energizing

2 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Well, not sure if that is it but it sounds like it to me. The lines can freeze.  The filter should be in your main intake.  Check it really well.  Not just the filter...the whole area.  Let it sit and thaw a few days.  Then try not to run your house at fucking snow temps! :lol:

How old is the unit?  Last serviced?  May be time for a good clean out and run through. Couple hundred clams well spent.

I'm not a tech....just quite a bit of experience with them.  Plus, that whole Holiday Inn Express thing.

:lmao:

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

that is true. he did say that it started after a second try. i had the exact same problem at the old house. a mouse had got inside the housing and built a nest in the relay enclosure. mouse piss corroded the relay. 

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

that is true. he did say that it started after a second try. i had the exact same problem at the old house. a mouse had got inside the housing and built a nest in the relay enclosure. mouse piss corroded the relay. 

fucking mouse .....hopefully he got his dick shocked off !!!1111111

11 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That sucks and is typical.....if you have a multimeter it would be pretty easy to see what the issue is. There should be a print inside the panel ...you just need to call for cool and see which switch is preventing the contactor from energizing

Yeah, it's so intermittent that it makes it frustrating. That said, after my last post I went outside and started the AC from my phone, nothing happened. Went inside to take a piss and grab a beer, go outside a few minutes later and now the compressor is running. 

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Well, not sure if that is it but it sounds like it to me. The lines can freeze.  The filter should be in your main intake.  Check it really well.  Not just the filter...the whole area.  Let it sit and thaw a few days.  Then try not to run your house at fucking snow temps! :lol:

How old is the unit?  Last serviced?  May be time for a good clean out and run through. Couple hundred clams well spent.

I'm not a tech....just quite a bit of experience with them.  Plus, that whole Holiday Inn Express thing.

:lmao:

I do need to check those things. I have never pulled the cover off the unit. I'm handy if I know what to look for. 

I actually only cool my house to 73 at night and 76 during the day.

It was serviced last year. I don't mind paying them $200 to do it but I hate paying them to do it and not figure out the issue with it not starting sometimes. It's 16 years old if I recall. 

6 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Yeah, I better pull the cover and take a look at things at least. Just needed to get some ideas of what to look for.