Check your account email address ×

Farmers are in revolt and Europe’s climate policies are crumbling. Welcome to the age of ‘greenlash’

30 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Can’t be blaming anyone but the farmers for it.  I wonder how many X9s JD financial will be repoing…

Neal

I don’t know, those types of guys for the most part find a way to crawl out of the hole they dig.  

This big planter getting I could never understand up until about 2 years ago.   Neighbor wanted to trade in his 10 year old sunflower 10’ drill, on a $62,000 13’ crust buster drill.  I said fuck that you’re nuts!

Couple months later, I see it being delivered and the old one loaded up and traded in.  He said I had no choice, the government qualified it as an “energy savings “ grant.  Gave him $19,000 for the old one, and with the grant money outright the new drill cost him like $13,000.  [tax credit grants)

There’s where I learned how the west was won, with these $250,000+ planters sitting at all these farms.  I knew damn well these guys weren’t making it selling $5 corn and paying $300 rent and $15,000/acre to buy ground.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, hayward said:

Everyone's situation is different.  Doesn't mean someone's not good at business or not a good farmer.

Most of the time it does unfortunately and people are to stubborn to move on before they've lost everything.

2 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Doesn't seem like Rod the farmer on this forum is hurting. Maybe some people just dont have the business sense to be farmers.

its the little guy im mostly talking about, the really large farms are a different animal in many ways and yeah those are  doing ok, but over regulations in all sorts of ways is killing them slowly also.  fuel costs were about our biggest issue in my  time.  i cant imagine paying what we do now to run that farm!  nfw 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hayward said:

I know one thing.  Current price of corn here is $4.20.  Guys in this area got that in the early 1980's, when they paid $.50/gallon for diesel fuel, $125/ton for fertilizer, lime was basically free just the cost of trucking and spreading, and a new combine was what, $40,000 at most?

How long's this going to last?

$4.20?  fuck.. we were getting 6.25 in the 80s on a good week.               that was in a city market,  but still.  4.20 eesh

1 hour ago, old indy said:

its the little guy im mostly talking about, the really large farms are a different animal in many ways and yeah those are  doing ok, but over regulations in all sorts of ways is killing them slowly also.  fuel costs were about our biggest issue in my  time.  i cant imagine paying what we do now to run that farm!  nfw 

I'd be happy if they made it harder for big farms and easier for family run ones.  Of course the best way to do that is to remove all subsidies and truly let the market bear its own values.  The free dole outs are not helping anyone.

I have a bunch of farmland I rent, my bil milks cows and my other bil raises beef.  Watching what they go through daily due to stupid government programs is insane.  Glad I got out 

7 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Doesn't seem like Rod the farmer on this forum is hurting. Maybe some people just dont have the business sense to be farmers.

Even the smaller farmers appear to be doing well right now, at least in my area.  I don't understand their numbers, but I guess if you can run 700 acres and have enough equipment to run 3000 pencil out, and go tractor and truck pulling to boot, I'm going to watch my own bobber for a while. 

7 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Can’t be blaming anyone but the farmers for it.  I wonder how many X9s JD financial will be repoing…

Neal

Another farm crisis would make things real interesting real quick.

6 hours ago, hayward said:

I don’t know, those types of guys for the most part find a way to crawl out of the hole they dig.  

This big planter getting I could never understand up until about 2 years ago.   Neighbor wanted to trade in his 10 year old sunflower 10’ drill, on a $62,000 13’ crust buster drill.  I said fuck that you’re nuts!

Couple months later, I see it being delivered and the old one loaded up and traded in.  He said I had no choice, the government qualified it as an “energy savings “ grant.  Gave him $19,000 for the old one, and with the grant money outright the new drill cost him like $13,000.  [tax credit grants)

There’s where I learned how the west was won, with these $250,000+ planters sitting at all these farms.  I knew damn well these guys weren’t making it selling $5 corn and paying $300 rent and $15,000/acre to buy ground.

They either end up heros or 6 feet under, it seems like.  Only a few of the high flyers have been brought down here, and most of them have places lining up to make loans to them, again.  Some for the 3rd or 4th time...

• Like 1