Check your account email address ×

Polaris Fuel Pump Recall

• Platinum Contributing Member

Looking at an ‘ 19 Indy XC 850 that seems to be very clean and well maintained and the guy is eager to move it because he bought a new sled, wife is mad….ect…Says the dealer installed a new top end because of bad fuel at 3100 miles and sled now has 4100. I ran the VIN and the recall is still open and when I asked him he said his buddy is a mechanic and he checked it out and said it’s fine….🤔

Two things…that doesn’t really make sense and would the dealer performed motor work show up on the Polaris App. when the VIN is ran? 

if repair was done under warranty it would show up but if not done under warranty it would not show up.dealer should have records of what was done though.You could always take sled in to get tank recall done.I know a few that have and will not be taking in for recall.If price is right id bite but have to worry a bit if that was the real issue why it went down.

Id be checking fuel sock!!

• Like 2

Being a 2019 850 I'd be more concerned with the bottom end.  2019 was the first year of the 850 and the PTO bearing was not mechanically located with a locating ring.  It relied on clamp load and there was issues with the bearing moving.

The fuel pump recall is not a big deal but it's not something a buddy checks out and says it OK without removing the pump assemble.  You have to see if the metal clamps were removed as far and the recall.  One sign that you have an issue with the pump itself is if the pump is loud (whining) and louder when you take the fuel cap off.  Then it's more than likely the fuel sock is getting plugged and needs to be changed. 

• Like 2

Doug beat me to it .... the fuel pump isn't a "Yeah I looked at it & it's OK" type of thing.  It's a removal & if they went that far why WOULDN'T they just perform the recall?  And yep, the PTO bearing being an exposure to walking is also a concern with the first year 850's.  My two cents Jim - unless it's a REALLY good deal, I'd walk away.  There's going to be a lot of deals out there this year I think.

• Like 3

Not getting the recall done isn't a big deal, you could bring to any dealer and have it done free if charge if you're concerned about it.

The guy lying about it however is an issue.  Because then you can't really believe anything he says about anything which would change alot of things for me and I'd just rather not deal with that kind of person unless it's a screaming deal too good to pass up even with a snake seller.  I hate dealing with snakes.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Not getting the recall done isn't a big deal, you could bring to any dealer and have it done free if charge if you're concerned about it.

The guy lying about it however is an issue.  Because then you can't really believe anything he says about anything which would change alot of things for me and I'd just rather not deal with that kind of person unless it's a screaming deal too good to pass up even with a snake seller.  I hate dealing with snakes.

:iagree:

• Like 1

Great responses and pretty much what I was thinking…I’m only interested because the dude started at 6800 bucks but says his wife is pissed  because he bought a new sled and In the span of about 3-4 days he is at 5500 and that’s without me even asking about price or making an offer. Seems a bit sketchy.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Great responses and pretty much what I was thinking…I’m only interested because the dude started at 6800 bucks but says his wife is pissed  because he bought a new sled and In the span of about 3-4 days he is at 5500 and that’s without me even asking about price or making an offer. Seems a bit sketchy.

With this winter your going to see better deals coming

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Doug beat me to it .... the fuel pump isn't a "Yeah I looked at it & it's OK" type of thing.  It's a removal & if they went that far why WOULDN'T they just perform the recall?  And yep, the PTO bearing being an exposure to walking is also a concern with the first year 850's.  My two cents Jim - unless it's a REALLY good deal, I'd walk away.  There's going to be a lot of deals out there this year I think.

Yeah if it's not marked completed, Polaris didn't pay the dealer for it.  I don't know many mechanics who like to work for free.  Story doesn't add up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Yeah if it's not marked completed, Polaris didn't pay the dealer for it.  I don't know many mechanics who like to work for free.  Story doesn't add up.

The dealer did the top end…his buddy the mechanic gave the fuel pump the OK.🤔🤣

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Real issue with 850 cranks are the rod bearings more so than that pto bearing walking.

Now if it was a $4k sled and in real nice shape may be worth the risk?

could also call dealer and see what they did?

Edited by X2700
  • Like 2