Check your account email address ×

3D printers home use

44 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

What do you have in mind?

Use to work with weldment, machine and stamping tooling.  Now designing small hand tooling/wrenching for use at home.  Non-typlical nut for the fuel pump assemble such as item 12 as an example 

Screenshot_20240120_224048_Chrome.jpg

The problem is regular PLA is really not great for parts that get a lot of stress. So you would need something that can run hot enough to do nylon. That means a more expensive machine. I would say right now the best start up machine with those abilities would be the crealty K1. Comes in two sizes. 

• Like 1

I use Solidworks or Inventor to half-ass my models, the run them through one of our printers in the lab at work.

We have a small herd of Qidi I-Fast printers and a trio of Stratasys machines.

My stuff always ends up in the Qidi machines and it comes out decent.

• Like 1

My advise would be to send your models to one of the many 3D printing resources that are out there, get some quotes. Then you can get a idea if buying a home printer is worth it.

The cost of the models that I have had printed is really cheap compared to cost and maintaince of owning a printer, plus the selection of materials is a big plus for outsourcing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 12:08 PM, NaturallyAspirated said:

My QIDI XMax came with the low temp head and the high temp head for carbon fiber and nylon.  Was $1000.

Fusion 360 > QIDI slicer software was decent.

Neal

On 1/21/2024 at 5:12 PM, racinfarmer said:

I use Solidworks or Inventor to half-ass my models, the run them through one of our printers in the lab at work.

We have a small herd of Qidi I-Fast printers and a trio of Stratasys machines.

My stuff always ends up in the Qidi machines and it comes out decent.

Will be doing nylon and possibly carbon fiber.  You guys have any experience with Bambu printers.

8 minutes ago, Doug said:

Will be doing nylon and possibly carbon fiber.  You guys have any experience with Bambu printers.

My intern is all about Bambu.  I'm probably going to tell him to order one to try.  

Our Qidi machines are decent, but they have their quirks and it seems like they are always getting fixed.

With nylon, make sure you dry that stuff a solid 12 hours.  It prints a lot better and doesn't break as much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 6:33 PM, racinfarmer said:

My intern is all about Bambu.  I'm probably going to tell him to order one to try.  

Our Qidi machines are decent, but they have their quirks and it seems like they are always getting fixed.

With nylon, make sure you dry that stuff a solid 12 hours.  It prints a lot better and doesn't break as much.

Keep me posted if you get a Bamdu and what your opinion is.  Undecided between the Qidi and Bamdu.  Like the larger working envelope of Qidi but like the AMS on the Bambu.  Reading where Qidi is going to be coming our with their own AMS.  

I fired up one of the Qidi's today for some government work.

Made myself a carb cover for when the dirty ass Enticer isn't being used.  I was going to use a TPU, but I couldn't find a roll.  PLA for now it is.

Also downloaded and printed a little case to hold carb jets.  It looks decent, but I can't get the support material to break away, so it ended up getting ruined.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 1:15 PM, MnDean said:

My advise would be to send your models to one of the many 3D printing resources that are out there, get some quotes. Then you can get a idea if buying a home printer is worth it.

The cost of the models that I have had printed is really cheap compared to cost and maintaince of owning a printer, plus the selection of materials is a big plus for outsourcing.

Actually got a couple quick quotes in PLA minus the top for a qty of 1.  One was  $183.00 and the other was $208.00.

Print time for this one was 4hr 51 minutes and now learning a little more where I can see where I can trim that back.

Untitled.jpg